Emulation Games Not Working...

I haven't tried Donkey Kong Country cuz I suck at that game anyway, so I have no idea how well it runs, but refer to the post above your last one to see my reccomendations.

DrMD is a great indicator for clockspeed if you cant get the clockspeed tester to work, you can set the screen mode for BLU or BLU+ screens and set the clock speed to 166, select a game like Gunstar Heroes or Sonic and if it resets it's not a 166 but if it keeps playing you're good to go.

SNES is a mixed bag, some of the special effects can act alittle wierd. but With enough experimentation I'm sure you'll find a few games you can enjoy.

DrMD is the best overall emu on GP32 IMO, in terms of running lots of really great 16bit games at full speed with sound. No GP32 should be without DrMD.

Games like Phantasy Star 4, Shining Force 2 - as good as anything on GBA IMO.

I purchased my gp32 over a year ago expecting almost fullspeed snes emulation. I was dissapointed when I first got my gp32 and found that it couldn't emulate snes very well at all. However, I have now tried out a lot more stuff for the gp32 (you HAVE to try DrMD) and have found it to be absoluetly amazing and very fun stuff. I wouldn't recommend trying to emulate anything on snes other than rpg's and even then its usually a little bit dodgey (especially tranparency issues, they can be fixed but its somewhat of a pain). Have fun with your gp32 and welcome to the scene.

OK, so im gonna download drmd, and the snes emulator too. I just need some linkage.

and as for the snes emu, my email is Krispf3@aol.com. Magus, if you cud send me that it'd be great.

What exactly is frameskip?

Also, i looked into the site's game downloads, and I tryed to download chamelon, but it's not blu+ compatible; are any of the games here?

Hmm... how can I explain this...? well, a frame is an indivual picture... the whole screen's image... many different images make an animation... many different frames... and the frameskip option lets you choose how many(if any) frames you want to cut out... i guess for each second? I'm not entirely sure... but what it'll do is make the animation a little more choppy... meaning it won't flow quite as nicely as it would without it, but if you don't put it on, the game will be really slow. This only applies to SNES games and some big Genesis games though.

do I need to set the specific frameskip? how do I do that?

Thanks magus, I got the email, and put it onto my system. How do I put games on it now, and what are some really good games?

On the opening blue screen with all the text, it says current freq:133, and before it said 140. does that mean that's my current system speed? is there a way to change that?

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Sep 1 2005 at 02:22 AM said:
do I need to set the specific frameskip? how do I do that?

Thanks magus, I got the email, and put it onto my system. How do I put games on it now, and what are some really good games?

On the opening blue screen with all the text, it says current freq:133, and before it said 140. does that mean that's my current system speed? is there a way to change that?

It really depends on the emulator. DrMD has an "Auto" frameskip which means it determines what frameskip to set it to in realtime, so if there isn't much happening on the screen, it wont skip any frames, however if theres lots happening, it may skip frames to keep the game speed normal.

If you set it to something like 0, then the game will speed up and down depending on whats going on. This can be very annoying. Most emulators have a cap on how fast the game will run (usually 60 fps) so if you set it to frameskip 2 it will run at normal speed, but you'll miss some frames. Auto is good since it adapts to this. Little John, DrMD and Rlyeh's emulators all have auto frame skipping, the SNES emulator doesn't, so you have to set it to whatever you're comfortable with.

Also, you asked how Donkey Kong Country runs. It suprisingly runs pretty much perfect with sound and at a low frameskip! Note the level selections runs like crap, but in game it plays great. Recommended for sure. Even with levels that require precise timing like the minecart level I was able to pass in a single go.

EDIT: I'll also say that my GP32 can only reach 156mhz. This is really enough, all games will work great at that speed. Also, the higher you clock your GP32 the more battery it sucks up, so keep that in mind. With DrMD I have seperate settings for each of the games (its an option in the menu). If a game doesn't require 156mhz, I pop it down a few notches and save settings. Sound affects performance as well, so with some games I have the sound runing at 22khz, others at 11khz. Ecco needs 22khz since it sounds crap without it, and Ecco has really neat music. Because of that I increase the clockspeed to 156.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread should be stickied, for future newbies!

BTW, I've given up on snes for the gp32, cos it's so lovely on the PSP!!!

so is there a place I can download donkey kong and mario? perhaps im not looking in the right place, but I couldnt find any for the snes program. When I put the games on, im going to be able to set the proper speed right? I guess im just a little upset b/c it appears as though my GP32 ISNT guaranteed 166mhz like the auction said. ARGH all i wanna do is play some old skool games. :rolleyes:

I also need some games for drmd. I can find the program everywhere, but i need specific games for it. is there something im just not searching for??

Finally, i need the doom I/II games. I have the program to play them, but it says i need "wops" or something. when I searched for doom wops/pwops, all of them said i need the "doomII.wop" which i couldnt find on the site.

Alrighty then... I hope you know how to read private messages, because I'm about to send you one to answer your questions.

I think im getting the hang of using the gp32. basically, it's awesome...but you all knew that :)

I have nes, snes, and genesis games on it, but im interested in other emulators and roms. Can anyone suggest a good rom for another system with some decent games? Thanks

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Sep 2 2005 at 05:13 PM said:
I have nes, snes, and genesis games on it, but im interested in other emulators and roms. Can anyone suggest a good rom for another system with some decent games? Thanks

Check out Rlyeh's Site for some really good emulators, as well as information on some he hasn't released yet. There you should find info on MSX, Sinclair Spectrum, Coleco, Gameboy etc.

Also check out Franxis' site for m.a.m.e. GP32 (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator) a great well known emulator for playing arcade classics, he maintains the GP32 version.

Have fun.

Jarska333 posted on Sep 2 2005 at 05:30 PM said:
I think your signature is too big. :)

I think your Pikachu's glasses are too big. ;)

I thought that was a Furby or whatever you call them....

He does have a point, the sig is a bit large. *NoD* Maybe just reducing the size a tad might be helpful....

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Sep 2 2005 at 05:13 PM said:
Can anyone suggest a good rom for another system with some decent games? Thanks

The thing with emulation is it is very much down to your own past and how far back in technology you are prepared to go.

I would recommend:
fSMS - SEGA Master System emulator for
R-Type, Asterix (but not the other Asterix And The ... games), Sonic the Hedgehog, and Speedball

fZX - ZX Spectrum emulator
for Bomb Jack, Chuckie Egg, Commando and Jet Pac

Back