Emulate Gp2x On A Windows Pc?

g8rpal

Still Fresh
Well I had to send my gp2x back to Play-asia b/c the joystick would not register left anymore. In the meantime I grabbed all the pc version emulators and continue to play my games on my windows pc.

But then I wanted to actually emulate the gp2x on the pc.

I installed andLinux and got it to recognize my SD card drive. But, when I click on a GPE or GPU in the file manager and select execute nothing happens...

Any ideas?

gp32_console

In short, and to my limited knowledge it uses a separate set of libraries and the gp2x compiler creates output that won't run natively on anything other than the gp2x.

I may be wrong. Better qualified answers will appear

The issue is the GP2X uses a different type of processor (among other things) than your PC and there is no emulator.

Kagey posted on Feb 23 2007 at 08:29 PM said:
In short, and to my limited knowledge it uses a separate set of libraries and the gp2x compiler creates output that won't run natively on anything other than the gp2x.

I may be wrong. Better qualified answers will appear

You are wrong ;) but not far off...

... The code generated by compilers for the gp2x can be run on many ARM platforms, I won't go into a big rant how ARM 7 can run some ARM 9 code, but for example, as long as the code is not tied to specific hardware, it will run*, on for an example, an iPod running IPL.

*Run does not mean work, but it will be executable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Faraz Parsa posted on Feb 24 2007 at 01:48 AM said:
rokdcasbah posted on Feb 24 2007 at 07:09 AM said:
there's more than just emulators on the gp2x. plus, it'd rule.
Oh right Payback and Vektar.

I think he means homebrew(yes I know there's a free version of Vektar)

If any of the programs you have on the GP2X happen to be written in Fenix, you can run them on Windows by downloading the Fenix runtime.

Qemu can also *boot* the gp2x kernel, but does not handle the custom display hardware chips... ...Hmmm, I wonder if an arm-debian could run code compiled for the gp2x.

/me goes to try.

i really hope that a gp2x emulator comes out. i could finally emulate (excuse me, provide a compatibility layer of) windows with wine, use that to emulate the gp2x, and use that to emulate playstation, and use that to emulate the NES! for shits and giggles of course.

I don't see much point in emulating gp2x to play emulators, but it can certainly be a useful tool for development purposes..

The problem I have is that my arm implementation is too slow, and I'm too lazy to write a dynarec.

Squidge posted on Feb 25 2007 at 02:14 PM said:
The problem I have is that my arm implementation is too slow, and I'm too lazy to write a dynarec.
Between all of your projects I realize you're very busy, but maybe if you get a chance to clean up the code and release it, someone else could take a shot at finishing it?

gatorpal posted on Feb 23 2007 at 08:24 PM said:
Well I had to send my gp2x back to Play-asia b/c the joystick would not register left anymore. In the meantime....

Good luck with that... I returned my unit early January, and was finally advised about a week ago that it was faulty (no shit), and they would have to return it to the manufacturer to get it replaced. I demanded a refund at this point... no way I'm waiting another 2 months! their returns procedure is a complete joke.

I have since ordered from GP2X.co.uk.

edit: and I've always wondered about a GP2x emulator too.. surely this makes testing homebrew a real pain??

cHEM posted on Mar 2 2007 at 06:02 AM said:
gatorpal posted on Feb 23 2007 at 08:24 PM said:
Well I had to send my gp2x back to Play-asia b/c the joystick would not register left anymore. In the meantime....

Good luck with that... I returned my unit early January, and was finally advised about a week ago that it was faulty (no shit), and they would have to return it to the manufacturer to get it replaced. I demanded a refund at this point... no way I'm waiting another 2 months! their returns procedure is a complete joke.

I have since ordered from GP2X.co.uk.

edit: and I've always wondered about a GP2x emulator too.. surely this makes testing homebrew a real pain??

I am still waiting too. I sent it out Feb 15th. They still have not received it. I have since also ordered another unit (dynamism.) Got here today.

Did you have any luck getting a refund? Maybe I should go through my credit card company...

"No left on joystick" normally means a lifted leg either on the joystick itself, or on a resistor near it. Can be fixed by reflowing the joints. Takes about 5 minutes :)

Back