Email Client - Request for Recommendation

Ian J

Advanced Member
Can anyone recommend a good email client for Windows 7.

Requirements:

Can be used with Hotmail (would be nice if it can use rules as live mail can't)

Can import my current emails (POP & Hotmail) from Windows Live Mail

Available for Linux as I am not upgrading to Windows 8+ so next OS will be some form of Linux.

Easy to backup emails

Any input greatly appreciated.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/outlook/send-receive-from-app

Should you need IMAP support, both Clawsmail and Thunderbird can make use of davmail (incidentally, davmail is ALSO available on the OpenPandora, and it works very well).
You can set it up that you "keep email on the server, when read for up to 7 days", allowing for email on your OpenPandora AND your Linux Desktop... AND your Windows 7 (jup, all this software works on all these platforms...)

Give both mail clients a fair chance, install the many plug-ins they have and play around with them before deciding.
Also... do not wait, switch to Linux asap, you want to get used to the interface that Pyra will have! When you do, I recommend buying a new Harddisk, and disconnect your old one, just to be able to go back (new installations won't work in the future, you will be forced to upgrade to Windows 10 (or so I've heared), requiring connections to M$ to authenticate WGA, but being an old product...) you can also use dd or clonezilla. At the moment, you can reinstall Windows 7. I suggest you do so, depending if you are a gamer, in a VM or as a dualboot. But try winetricks too... welcome to the bright side.

Another vote for claws mail.

I used to be a kmail user, but the recent rewrite has caused more trouble than its worth.
Having said that, I have no experience of email clients on windows beyond corporate, locked-down installations of outlook.

Experimental 1st draft of SMTorP peer-to-peer message delivery
Interesting! Will git install it to check it out.

https://github.com/mailpile/Mailpile/wiki/Security-roadmap

---
Instructions are very clear. Runs right of the bat.
Very Sexy: Separate Tabs for pics and documents. Auto config of smtp settings (slower than Thunderbird's). Did not autodetect. Could not fetch my email. Saved a draft, it appears to have stored it, but I can not see it....

Ugh... stay clear from this for now. Not even beta.... alpha stage software.

edit: Giving up. to get email I can only choose between pop3 and pop3/tls, but I need to use STARTTLS and not SSL/TLS... and I can not choose that (or it could be the fact it does not think my mailbox is valid...). Eventlog and debugging is very detailed though. You get a log for every action it does. Impressive, but no cigar.

Last edited:
I have been using Thunderbird for over 7.5 years now and wonder:
Is there an easy way to transfer all your mails (inbox and outbox) from Thunderbird to Claws if one would like to migrate?

Moving them to an (local if you don't trust your provider) IMAP server should allow relatively painless migration between any two clients.

Back