Ebay Refuses To Let Me Sell My Gp32

TomVS

Website
Visit site
Strange things happened.

I recently ebay-ed my old gp32 because I bought a gp2x...

Now I got a mail from ebay that my item was removed from ebay because of copyright problems and unautorised copies policy...

I never used the word roms, download roms from the internet... in other words I behaved like I would behave on this forum

I only stated in my add that the handheld could emulate c64, atarist, .... and praised his divx capabilities....

Did anyone had the same problems before ?

This is absolutely shocking. Every PC is able to emulate c64 and all the other systems.

...selling the gp32 is a bad idea anyway. Keep it. The battery life is better and the short booting time is an advantage to the gp2x as well. I keep mine for quick gameboy action.

I had massive trouble a while ago, trying to sell a GBA with a flash-rom cart, even though I never mentioned anything about warez, roms or emus. I was selling it with an SDK as a dev platform, anyways that wasn't allowed to sell. I sent them a few emails and found out that specific companies are 'affiliated' with ebay (Nintendo OA) and their lawyers keep a close eye on what is being sold, flash-carts make them jumpy.

A while after that I tried to sell a piece of midi equipment that synchs mp3 files with the bpm from a record, which I advertised as an alternative to final scratch, that was taken down by lawyers from Stanton...

I emailed ebay, pissed off like, pointing out that cd writers could be used for piracy and that listing something as an alternative was *not* saying they were the same. anyway. No one ever got back to me.

My guess, after this way too long story, is that some lawyer isn't happy and you will never know who has stopped you selling the unit, or why you can't sell the unit.

I think that various algorithms parse the ebay listings, so just drop the word emulator.

Talking with ebay is indeed like talking to a machine... You get standard emails with standard answers... It seems I will never know the exact reason...

So keep gp32/gp2x advertising simple on ebay. you have been warned. We don´t want trouble with the big guys like nintendo...

Maybe our new gp2x will be to advanced in the future by e.g. emulating a ps1. We could be in trouble when people start noticing the capabilities....

Strange things happened.

Now I got a mail from ebay that my item was removed from ebay because of copyright problems and unautorised copies policy...

I never used the word roms, download roms from the internet... in other words I behaved like I would behave on this forum

I only stated in my add that the handheld could emulate c64, atarist, .... and praised his divx capabilities....

maybe if you were to sell the gp32 box they would allow that? (they allow xbox360 boxes) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ebay obviously get paid a lot to filter the sales :-|| I can understand flashcarts a bit. But everything the GP32 emulates are dead consoles. But I swear you can buy blow up sex dolls. Is that ok ? Think of the children.

try to sell your gp32 as a "gp23", just put a picture, and a link to some info about the gp32.
I guess that they have procedures to scan for specifics keywords.
Maybe that could works, not sure.

Strange things happened.

Not had that problem, mine is on there right now, and has been for 4 days

I only stated in my add that the handheld could emulate c64, atarist, [...]

I'm tracking gp32 on eB for some weeks now and i can confirm that some of the auctions were remove before they got sold.

In most cases because of a MMC, CD or DVD being part of the auction with "some" software on it. Sometimes no software was mentioned in the description, just the silver disk on the picture.

I don't think that eB is tracking for gp32 keyword, but there are some shops who sell the gp32 and it could be possible that they want to have the only avail gp32 at the list of auctions. Remember: Everyone can report rules violating auctions.

It is possible that some interested companies track some keywords and send a standard mail in case of findings to eB, which would not invest more time to check, just avoiding exploding costs.

The fact is: The GP32 handheld can not emulate any of your listed platforms. If you said so it is a wrong description, which should lead into removment from auction.

(It is the additional 3d-party software who does it, and that is not part of the hardware and must not be part of the auction.) ;)

Just got a reply from ebay :

Apparaten waarmee kopieën of geïmporteerde versies van videospellen
kunnen worden afgespeeld (zoals mod-chips, "game enhancers" en
opstartschijven), mogen niet op eBay worden aangeboden.

In English :

Devices that are capable of playing imported versions of videogames (mod-chips, game enhancers and bootdisks) are not allowed on Ebay...

Mod-chips, "game enhancers" en opstartschijven zijn apparaten waarmee je
kopieën of geïmporteerde versies van videospellen kunt openen en
afspelen op spelcomputers voor particulier gebruik.

In English

Mod-chips en bootdisks are devices that allow people to open copies and imported versions of videogames on consoles for private use....

SO.... That´s the reason...

Just got a reply from ebay :

Apparaten waarmee kopieën of geïmporteerde versies van videospellen
kunnen worden afgespeeld (zoals mod-chips, "game enhancers" en
opstartschijven), mogen niet op eBay worden aangeboden.

In English :

Devices that are capable of playing imported versions of videogames (mod-chips, game enhancers and bootdisks) are not allowed on Ebay...

[SO.... That´s the reason...

that is so stupid, and that is exactly what I meant in my previous post. If they are serious with this, they have to ban any pc, mac, pocket pc, palm etc from their trading platform

Seems a bit generic, Nintendo handhelds are after all capable of playing imported videogames.

I can't say I'm happy about this, my GP32's on Ebay at the moment and I don't want the auction taking down (hopefully I'll be safe though, as I've specifically stated in the description that there's no software included.)

...selling the gp32 is a bad idea anyway. Keep it. The battery life is better and the short booting time is an advantage to the gp2x as well. I keep mine for quick gameboy action.

Mine's being sold because I'm getting a GP2X anyway (should arrive tomorrow) so any money I can get for the GP32 will go towards that. Not only that, but the diagonals are buggered on the joystick, stuffing paper behind it hasn't helped and I can't be bothered with a proper fix. (It's all in the description, no nasty surprises for the buyer!)

AFAIR it's not allowed to include ANY software collections (neither freeware or commercial) to an auction.

Well yes ED, that reason is for the best. I used to see auctions with CDs full of ROMs and emulators coming with the GP32 and nobody did anything about it.

But the reason 'anything that plays imported games is banned' is clearly over-reacting.

You know what makes me laugh, you can't sell a games system which plays games that are 20 years old (some, not all) but you are allowed to sell pirate DVD's! As long as you put 'you must own the original'

What bullshit ebay is. I tries to sell my Sega Saturn which is chipped only for using japanese games, not copies and it was pulled by ebay! I think ebay are useless to be honest.

Most of the ebay cancelations I've seen happen because someone reports it. other wise they continue unabated. Someone probably had a problem with C64 emulation or something else you said and dropped the dime on you.

Post it again but this time simply post a link that leads to a list of it's capabilities. Only state enough so the people looking for one knows what it ist and if you plan to sell it with some games just list them as "extra goodies included".

Adding this maze prevents whistle blowers from spending the time to bring you down and anyone who's really intested in the system will take the time to figure it out.

Back