Eat The Whistle

Fda

Still Fresh
It would be lovely to be able to play this old game on the Wiz. But i've no idea how to compile it (methinks, simply inputting "make" on a terminal emulator wouldn't work XD). Looks suitable for the wiz, to me; it even has a nice "320x240" mode. Any help? Or, better.......is it possible?

Source and datafiles are located here.
Thanks in advance ^^

EDIT 11/11: out of curiosity, i tried the above method (input "make" in termula2x). Obviously it won't work (says it hasn't found sdl)

Fda said:
It would be lovely to be able to play this old game on the Wiz. But i've no idea how to compile it (methinks, simply inputting "make" on a terminal emulator wouldn't work XD). Looks suitable for the wiz, to me; it even has a nice "320x240" mode. Any help? Or, better.......is it possible?

Source and datafiles are located here.
Thanks in advance ^^

EDIT 11/11: out of curiosity, i tried the above method (input "make" in termula2x). Obviously it won't work (says it hasn't found sdl)

Thought I did this (know for sure i did for pandora). FY you cant just type make on a wiz of cannoo, it be a little crazy to install a native toolchain on it (given speed and size)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought I did this (know for sure i did for pandora). FY you cant just type make on a wiz of cannoo, it be a little crazy to install a native toolchain on it (given speed and size)

Well, i only found pandora's version............and some posts about "how would it be nice to have this game" for F100, then F200, then even the wiz. But not a single compiled file or tarball........

PS. About compiling directly on the wiz: yeah, i know......i was just bored, so i tried. Given the amount of time for compiling ETW on the "real thing" (=my notebook), which was about 20 seconds, i thought maybe it could be done..........But the effin' SDL requirement stopped me.....XD

Oh, well... I've tried to compile it... It's pretty possible.
The only real issue is that the runtime data package is... wrong =P Some audio files should be in WAV format, but they're in AIFF... Some of them are missing (intro/brake.wav), some are... fake? (intro/engine.snd)

If you can solve this, maybe I can give you the compiled and runnable app =P

Hm, i had too this issue.........i don't remember exactly how, but i've solved it by downloading the old data file (here) and overwriting the wrong ones (which, by the way, were all zeroed if i remember correctly).

I'm sorry but the moment i can't exactly reproduce the procedure because i'm at work and my new notebook is 'bitching' during make about missing SDL package (which i have, both i686 and x86_64). ^^

I remember, some months ago, try to compile (a very quick try) and stopped as it require GTK2 libs If i remember correctly (IIRC).
Is there available ?

Farox said:
I remember, some months ago, try to compile (a very quick try) and stopped as it require GTK2 libs If i remember correctly (IIRC).
Is there available ?

They aren't necessary. They're just for a file chooser dialog.

Ok, it's official: i'm a complete idiot ^^

THIS is the right procedure (i've managed to replicate just now and it worked):

1) Compile the package
2) Download Windows version and install it somewhere (= Wine)
3) Copy datafiles from there (and with datafiles i mean "every single folder")

Done. No more hassle.

does that mean you have a fully working game on the wiz? would be cool if you could repack it and upload it to the archive :)

crow_riot said:
does that mean you have a fully working game on the wiz? would be cool if you could repack it and upload it to the archive :)

No, no........i simply described the procedure to 'overcome' (not sure about the grammar) the issue indicated by Rodolfo. I do have a fully working Eat The Whistle for Linux, but on my notebook......

Back