Release Easy RPG PND for Pandora

So after many years I recently got back into EasyRPG on Pandora. I dug out my backups of RPGMaker games and copied them to a SD card and began testing them on my Pandora.

Forgive me if these questions have been asked before.
  1. I have been unable to find a clean way to exit the PND. I am currently exiting by force killing the app! (holding down the Pandora button) Not ideal. How do you cleanly close/exit a running game? Anyone?
  2. How can we remap the buttons with this port? The Accept & Cancel buttons are mapped to the Pandoras Y and B buttons! o_O This is not only a nuisance for muscle memory but it becomes physically painful to play ARPGs with this layout. The Accept/Action button and the Cancel/Back button should be mapped to either the Pandoras B and X buttons (Nintendo/Japanese layout style) or mapped to the X and B buttons (XBox/American layout style)
  3. There are major bugs with the D-Padwith this port. This bug includes:
    1. The D-Pad stops working when it comes to a name entry screen forcing you to play as a hero named AAAAAA! +o( I worked around it by restarting the game on PC and then copying the save to Pandora (This bug didn't occur when using the arrow keys while playing on PC)
    2. The D-Pad stops working after I enter an inventory in the game. This prevents me from selecting key items and thus any further progress in the game. :|
    3. (TO BE CONFIRMED) There appears to be a bug with the D-Pad timing and/or deadzone. On the Pandora, I was unable to move boxes in sliding box puzzles. I had to transfer the save back to PC to get past it.
  4. I have many games on my SD card and after a while it gets a little annoying folder digging every time I start a different game. Is there any inbuilt game menu/launcher so you can simply click on the game name in the launcher? If there isn't such an option then - Is there any kind of frontend PND that would do the same thing? (I am thinking of how I used to use a game launcher for Mupen - I think it was called Pickle Launcher? I cant remember since I stopped trying to emulate N64 on my Pandora years ago) (UPDATE: An EasyRPG game launcher/frontend other than RetroArch and the EasyRPG core. I find RA is too slow to be enjoyable on my 1Ghz Pandora)

UPDATE:
  • #3 (control bugs) have all been fixed in the latest upload to the repo. Special thanks to @ptitSeb for his hard work fixing these bugs.
  • #2 (remapping option) ptitSeb has changed the button mapping in the latest release. The buttons are now intuitive for every game I have tested since.
  • #1 (exiting games) I still can't find a button to quit the PND. However games can be cleanly closed by returning to the games title screen and then selecting the menu option Quit Game.
  • #4 (game menu/launcher) No change. Filtering the file picker to only show .exe files would save scrolling through every file/folder in the game root folders. Unless some kind dev wants to volunteer to throw together a rough and ready launcher? (RetroArch works by scanning the subdirectories for paths to the .ldb files. There is no game database that can be used but the game folder names could be used as titles.)

Last edited:
The new build with the 0.6.2.2 is on the repo!

Build 19
------------

• Updated sources (v0.6.2.2)
Thanks @ptitSeb for this update. I don't want to appear critical of your hard work however I have found a bug with this port that is game-breaking. This bug is not present in the PC release. Please see my previous post for details. Appreciate if anything can be done to address this.

If you need any more details or logs, please let me know. Thanks.

@DrasticNerd I don't know yet for the DPad stop working issue, that's pretty weird.
But for the Button mapping, try to create a file named ".flipbx" (without the quotes) inside the appdata of easyrgpplayer, and that should automagically switch X and B button function.

try to create a file named ".flipbx" (without the quotes) inside the appdata of easyrgpplayer, and that should automagically switch X and B button function.
@ptitSeb I created the file and I'm afraid it didn't fix the issue. (Should it be bx? I need to assign the Y button function to the X button. i.e. North to South)

Was there an alternate port of EasyRPG in the past that allowed button remapping? I have a four year old folder in appdata named "easyrpg" and it contains (amongst other things) a file named config.txt. This file contains a number of variables including what appears to be a button function remapper.

The remapping outcome I am looking for on Issue #2:
  • Action function --> Pandora's "B" or "X" button (i.e. Nintendo or Xbox style)
  • Cancel function --> Pandora's "B" or "X" button (if above is mapped to "B" then this function will need to be mapped to "X" button and vice versa)
  • "0" number key --> Pandora's "Y" button
  • "1" number key --> Pandora's Start button
  • "2" number key --> Pandora's Select button
  • Arrow keys --> Pandora's D-Pad buttons

Last edited:
@DrasticNerd I don't know yet for the DPad stop working issue, that's pretty weird.
@ptitSeb - Agreed. In fact I didn't want to believe this at first (which is why I originally posted "TO BE CONFIRMED")
However I have done further testing since by comparing the behaviour between the Pandora port and PC versions and I'm afraid the issue is unique to the Pandora port.

I am uploading a copy of a game where this issue is easy demonstrated (@EveryoneElse - DOWNLOAD A FREE & FUN EASYRPG GAME HERE!!! :cool:) along with a copy of my savefile and details on how to reproduce these glitches.

How to replicate Issue #3.2 - D-Pad will not work on in-game menus
  1. Download & extract the file "The Legend of Zelda_ Link's Awakening Remake.7z" (Some fans made a remake of "The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX" using RPG2k3. I find it quite impressive given the limitations and physics differences between the GBC and EasyRPG)
  2. Place this folder somewhere on your Pandoras SD card
  3. Download & extract my save file into the game folder
  4. Load the game then load my save game (At the first dungeon Tail Cave)
  5. Press the "1" number key to open the inventory
  6. Try to use the D-Pad to select another item to equip. e.g. Magic Powder. The D-Pad will not respond.

How to replicate Issue #3.1 - D-Pad will not work on name entry screens
  1. After testing above, return to the title screen (Press the "2" key to load the options and navigate down to the Quit option)
  2. Start a new game and you will be taken to a name entry screen
  3. Try to use the D-Pad to enter "Link". You can only enter "AAAAA" because the D-Pad will not respond to inputs.

How to replicate Issue #3.3 - Unable to push objects (e.g. sliding box puzzles) with the D-Pad
  1. After testing above, return to the title screen (Press the "2" key to load the options and navigate down to the Quit option)
  2. Load my saved game.
  3. The next steps will be tricky if you are not familiar with Link's Awakening. I'm hoping you are because I'm not good at explaining how to get to these points. If you are not, you could try using an online walkthrough I guess? At this point in my save file, there are two locations open which can be used to test the D-Pad not respond to pushing objects. One is in the back of the current dungeon (Dungeon 1 Tail Cave) The other test location is in a small cave in the "Lost Woods".
    1. DEMONSTRATE ISSUE 3.3 IN DUNGEON 1 TAIL CAVE
      1. The save file will load you at the start of this dungeon.
      2. Make your way to the north western most room (There is a map on one of the menus, press "1" or "2' key)
      3. Make your way anti-clockwise around the room to reach the locked door on the western side.
      4. The trick to unlocking this door is to move the single lone block near the door. Try pressing this with the D-Pad. It will not move.
    2. DEMONSTRATE ISSUE 3.3 IN LOST WOODS CAVE
      1. The save file will load you at the start of the first dungeon. Head south through the door to exit the dungeon and enter the overworld.
      2. Now you are in the overworld, circle the next few screens in an anti-clockwise direction until you can reach the western limit of the map.
      3. Head north. Up past the library and the two kids playing ball.
      4. Keep heading north, (circling past the well) until you reach the entrance to the Lost Woods
      5. After entering the woods, head north and then east until you see a tunnel / cave entrance guarded by a wandering Moblin
      6. Enter the cave and quickly make your way to the door on the northern wall. Don't stop to fight the bats. (The cracked floors will break underneath you if you stop)
      7. This is a simple tunnel. Simply head up and then to the single exit on the western wall
      8. You are now in the final room of the cave. To exit the cave, you need to complete a very easy "sliding box puzzle". Press the D-Pad against any of the stones, you can not move them. (I had to copy the save to PC and play it there to reach the Sleepy Toadstool)

Attachments

• The Legend of Zelda_ Link's Awakening Remake.7z
    7.9 MB · Views: 268
  • Save01.lsd.7z
    7.2 KB · Views: 232
@ptitSeb Were my notes clear enough to demonstrate the issues with the directional buttons? If there is any tests or files that will help you fix this faster, please let me know what you need from me. Thanks :)

So, I think I have updated the keys on easyrpg-player. But, I stil reproduce the "3.1" bug (I haven't bothered testing the other).
That's very strange because the input code seems very localised and quite simple. I'm rebuiling eveyrthing, with some slight compilation parameters change, that's my curent lead for now...

But, I stil reproduce the "3.1" bug (I haven't bothered testing the other).
That's very strange because the input code seems very localised and quite simple. I'm rebuiling eveyrthing, with some slight compilation parameters change, that's my curent lead for now...

Thanks for the update @ptitSeb

I agree that it is a really strange glitch because the directional buttons only stop working when in certain situations (e.g. in-game sub-menus and while trying to push in-game objects)

@DrasticNerd are you sure that Zelda game is working fin on EasyRPGPlayer on other platform? With the version of of engine of course?
Because after spending 6h debugging and looking for a miscompile or something specific to the Pandora port (there is like 5 lines of difference in the code, to limit sound at 22kHZ and the keymap, so nothing).

My analysis is: the game is a RT2k3 game. The engine recognize it as:
Code:
Debug: Loading game Zelda Link's Awakening
Debug: Game does not need RTP (FullPackageFlag=1)
Debug: Using RPG2k3 Interpreter

Debug: RPG2k < v1.50 / RPG2k3 < v1.05 detected
Debug: Engine configured as: 2k=0 2k3=1 MajorUpdated=0 Eng=0

Issue is with this commit: https://github.com/EasyRPG/Player/commit/a7118b1a9985f6618791b5a2d4c85b2c0d453763 that changed the way command are interpreted. The game send a command with param_size=14 (I traced that), but according to the new code
So I changed line 2718 to
Code:
if (param_size > 10 /*&& Player::IsMajorUpdatedVersion()*/) {
And it works.
@Ghabry is that an engine bug?

I have update the PND to 0.6.2.3 sources also and will upload it soon.

(On a side note, I really don't like your footnote @DrasticNerd, with you "wishlist". I really makes me feel like, for you, devs are just some anonymous ressources that you can use for your own need. Let me remind you that devs in the open source world are using their freetime to build the stuffs you use. major bug or not, eveything take time, like fixing a bug in an engine I don't know took me 6h of my free time, that I could have used to do other things)

@DrasticNerd are you sure that Zelda game is working fin on EasyRPGPlayer on other platform?
Yes. Absolutely certain. I have the official release & the RetroArch EasyRPG on my PC. No issues playing these games on there.

With the version of of engine of course?
Ah no.Your PND port is a slightly higher version than the RA EasyRPG.

I have update the PND to 0.6.2.3 sources also and will upload it soon.
Thank you so much @ptitSeb \o/

(On a side note, I really don't like your footnote @DrasticNerd, with you "wishlist".
Sorry @ptitSeb :eek: My sig is not intended to give offence to anyone. :(

It is a little cheeky of me posting a wishlist of ports but it is a wishlist, not demands. Yes, I do hope some kind people will volunteer on my requests. The key word is "volunteer". Nobody is forced to do anything they don't want to.

@ mods - if my sig is breaking the rules in any way, please let me know and I will remove it next time I logon.

I really makes me feel like, for you, devs are just some anonymous ressources that you can use for your own need.
Um no. I'm sorry you see it that way. I would port to Pandora myself if I had the ability to. Since I don't, I have a wishlist. Is that so bad?

Let me remind you that devs in the open source world are using their freetime to build the stuffs you use.
I know that full well. I have spent many hours building tools for users in other forums.

I've been thinking. Would it be off-topic for members to post their favourite free RM2K games in this thread?

There are so many mediocre RM2K games out there. Most aren't worth playing IMHO.

But if Pandora owners were to upload their favourite games to this thread, we would all benefit. Fun games recommended by fellow Pandora owners for easy download if the description whets our appetite :cool: It would be interesting to see what others enjoy on their Pandoras.

What do others think? Bad idea or would this inject new life into the Pandora forum threads?!

Why not, but preferably in a new thread (needs screenshot and quick description of the games also, probably), to keep this one focussed on new EasyRPGPlayer updates.

I prefer a New Thread for Pandora Rpg2k/rpg2k3 Games too..but posting Games only with Screenshots please ;)
Otherwise it will be Like a Lottery what for a Game you download.

@ptitSeb & @ingoreis - Thanks for the feedback on my suggestion.

New thread = Agreed. I've never started a new thread here before so it will be a new experience. I'm indecisive as to what would be the correct board to start the thread in. Where should I start this?

Screenshots = Yes, it would be much better with screenshots to accompany the description. Hmm. I will need to go take screenshots before I can start uploading any games. :(
There isn't any inbuilt screenshot function in EasyRPG. What screenshot PND do you recommend for EasyRPG?

(It's been years since I last used any PND dedicated to taking screenshots. About 5? years ago I downloaded & tested every screenshot PND available at the time on the repo and not one of them worked well on DraStic. The "best" pictures came out with coloured bands across every image! Since then, I prefer apps that have a built-in screenshot feature. e.g. Emu EX Alpha emulators - thanks @ptitSeb for porting those!)

Last edited:
Well, lets look at the forums in the Pandora section:
General - this is about pandora stuff, so that seems reasonable
Software releases - bit of a stretch
Support - not at all, really
Pandora OS - nope
Alterative OS - even noper

So, I reckon General is your best bet.

Thanks @levi Pandora-General it is then (I'm not happy about it getting lost in the General board. But as you rightly point out, Software would be a stretch and nothing else can possibly fit)

Rm2k/3 games are not Pandora specific though. (But then again, Other Consoles doesn't work either. Offtopic strikes me as more of a catch-all than Pandora-General. Decisions, Decisions!)

Sorry I wasn't around here since a year because there were no news.

EasyRPG Player 0.7.0 is out. @ptitSeb
I'm linking the release notes for developers as I recommend reading them before updating the Player: https://github.com/EasyRPG/Player/releases/tag/0.7.0

The problem in Zelda LA was reported by multiple users and is fixed in 0.7.0. @DrasticNerd
This was indeed a logic error in the Key Input code.

In some other games the input is still broken but this is because of incorrect engine detection. We have a hard time here because we support both 2k and 2k3 so misdetections are possible...

Back