earphones issue

Garrett

Advanced Member
I'm using my iphone earphones which work perfectly with all my other devices, but on the Pandora the sound is dreadfully tinny, & all sounds/music just sound wrong/missing effects etc.

Do i need to use a specific brand/model of earphones or is it as i suspect that i am just unlucky with my unit.

Anyone got any ideas..?

No regular earphones should just work... Now dumb question are these headphones iPhone/iPod compatible? If so then they are wired differently then standard headphones.

Yes I came across this, it seems that headphones made for phones (ie: within inline mics etc) don't work properly with the pandora. I tried two pairs with it and they both produced the same effect, seemed like they only play one channel rather than stereo. I tried some regular headphones and it was flawless.

No regular earphones should just work... Now dumb question are these headphones iPhone/iPod compatible? If so then they are wired differently then standard headphones.
Yes I came across this, it seems that headphones made for phones (ie: within inline mics etc) don't work properly with the pandora. I tried two pairs with it and they both produced the same effect, seemed like they only play one channel rather than stereo. I tried some regular headphones and it was flawless.

They are just standard 3.5mm earphones that came bundled with my old first gen iphone.. how different can they be when they work fine with every other device that i have tried..?

I also had this problem with some zagg ear buds that had line in on them.

where does steve jobs get these idiotic ideas? this is about as bad as a one button mouse. either way...get quality headphones, pandora produces some great sounds that deserve to be heard. seems to be an issue where sound output and mic input go through the same connector, i have a paid that have mic on them, but use two connectors, sound output works great

best bet is to buy some sony noise cancelling headphone any of the line that cost around the £120 mark. This sounds like alot of cash for some headphones but every set of noise cancelling headphones ive owned have mind blowingly good. I got my first set out in germany back in 2002 and anything ive tryed since doesnt come close. The only draw back they have is that they require a battery to opperate them, But the clarity and volume is just next level. well worth every penny.

Sennheiser, just pink your price range, i might be able to help you find good deals, one of mines msrp'd at $250, bought new for $170

My first iPod Nano would only charge through an official Apple usb charger. Apple is like that. Though as an audiophile I can tell you the sound quality of Apple earbuds is garbage anyhow. These are quite excellent for their price point...

Sony MDRXB40EX

They have excellent bass response for earbuds as they use a soft rubber "bud" to turn your ear canal into an enclosed bass chamber. Just to qualify...I usually use an $800 pair of Grottos during recording sessions and I'm more than pleased with these Sony earbuds.

Also since they close off your ear they cancel all but the loudest exterior noises without costing a lot like other noise cancelling products out there and they don't require batteries.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't need to use the inline mic with your Pandora, yet still prefer the iPhone buds (I'm trying not to judge haha) try putting any old 3-connector (TRS) extension (or splitter) cable between the Pandora and your iPhone/iPod-compatible headphones of choice. They should effectively short the inline mic to ground (not harmful) so that the 'standard' ground works as intended. The 'missing ground' effect is pretty much the same effect can occur in many cheap (well, any price, really) earphones/headphones if that happens to be the wire that fails on you first.

I've used this technique with have numerous 'iPhone-compaitble' inline volume adapters for my many pairs of earphones (DealExtreme sku 53960), my Pandora and MP3 player (Toshiba Gigabeat F40) both have issues with the 'iPhone compatible' wiring.

If you have nothing on hand and have some change to spare, I'd suggest this headphone splitter from Monoprice or this 1.5m extension cable from DealExtreme, or one of several other, similarly priced products from either source.

Hope that helps...

Edit: I have two pairs of Sony's MDR-EX75 and love them. They're under $30 at the moment and (in my opinion) sound far better and are more comfortable than several $50-$80 Sony models that I've tried to replace them with. They aren't noise-cancelling, but block out external sounds enough to be moderately unsafe while cycling...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back