e-Ink as a companion device for Pyra?

Grench

Forum Addict!
NOT as a built in back screen (would add 5mm thickness).

This had me thinking:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/378232716/inkcase-plus-e-ink-screen-for-android-phone?ref=nav_search

Add a speaker and mic and bluetooth headset capabilities and it's like having a manageable handheld 'phone', reader, etc... run through the radios in the Pyra - which never has to leave your carry on bag.

Just a simple Bluetooth headset in a device with a Bluetooth screen connected to a much more powerful device.

Of course the one in the Kickstarter doesn't have any audio capabilities - and might still be useful if drivers can get written to update from the Pyra?

A companion device (screen/headset) for a companion device (Pyra/tablet/phone).

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the idea of using e-ink with the Pyra, but as has been pointed out to me, it would cause too many compromises with the design of the Pyra. But I feel this might be something which could complement the Pyra nicely.

From my experience with the Pandora, I would prefer to use the audio straight from the Pyra instead of passing it though another device, which may cause not be of the same high quality. Perhaps someone more experienced could comment on whether this would affect it or not?

An E-Ink case with, a camera, sound and touch would be a nice compromise. Position on top of the lid.

If only it had a touchscreen it'd be perfect.
That would be cool. A e-ink bluetooth companion device with touchscreen and phone headset functions. Does nothing on it's own - requires a Bluetooth 'host device' to function.

I like the idea of using e-ink with the Pyra, but as has been pointed out to me, it would cause too many compromises with the design of the Pyra. But I feel this might be something which could complement the Pyra nicely.

From my experience with the Pandora, I would prefer to use the audio straight from the Pyra instead of passing it though another device, which may cause not be of the same high quality. Perhaps someone more experienced could comment on whether this would affect it or not?
This idea is to NOT build it into the Pyra, but to have the e-ink device be 'stand alone' electrically, but require a bluetooth signal to/from the Pyra (or other device) to tell it what to display. WizardStan's idea of adding a touch screen layer and my idea of bluetooth phone headset capabilities pretty much complete it IMHO. This would -not- be for headphone audio - connect to the Pyra for that. However, it COULD be a remote control for the Pyra hooked up into an entertainment center or slung in your backpack.

An E-Ink case with, a camera, sound and touch would be a nice compromise. Position on top of the lid.
Sorry, but in my humble opinion, building it into the case would be silly and completely misses the point.

For perspective: If the Pyra were a main frame, this little device would be a dumb terminal.

Ah, I should have clarified.

While I would like to see e-ink integrated into the Pyra, I've come to find that it brings in too many compromises to the design; i.e. a larger size and a weaker case. This has been thoroughly debated in other threads, and I would have to agree with the common consensus.  

A peripheral device like this would be perfect to complement the Pyra. But I have a few questions about how we could communicate with it.

As I have not done much with Bluetooth what can we send via Bluetooth; is it only able to send audio or could we also send visual data via Bluetooth? (as in use it for seeing song information, caller id, displaying ebooks, etc...)

Would we need a separate processor or other hardware aside from the screen & Bluetooth connectivity, or can devices like this effectively utilize the Pyra's hardware?

I think this would be an awesome complementary device for the Pyra, I'm just curious about how a device like this would function and the capabilities of it. So, please excuse my ignorance, I haven't had a chance to play around with any Bluetooth devices yet, but if this were available it would be on 2nd on my list (1st being the Pyra)

Well as there are already 4 shoulder buttons planned I need an other mod.

Unfortunately I don't know how to write display driver, else a second screen would be high on my list.

If this one works via Bluetooth and Pyra does support it it might find it's way into the backside of my Pyra's lid.

I approve of this idea. I often use my Pandora to listen to music on the move which works well, except for when I want to pause or change tracks during daylight hours, when unpacking my Pandora, fiddling around with the nubs or poking at the screen with my fingernail, then packing up my Pandora again in its case, into my bag on top of packing away my headphones etc. is a lot of faff. If I could just pull this out of my pocket, adjust the playback as necessary and my headphones, that'd be a lot more streamlined.

For that purpose, I don't mind if it's an LCD that only lights up when I need it rather than a e-ink device, kind of like the old Sinclair watch, but I appreciate how e-ink would have wider usage and still only need a relatively small battery (and sending page deltas over bluetooth data might be more achievable than running video over the same). I don't need the device to have audio itself, as plugging and unplugging my headphones is not particularly hard, and my headphone cable reaches fine.

Back