Release E.a.s.e.enhanced Automated Software Environment (Any Interest?)

yaKC

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auIIy7hhzKQ&feature=player_embedded

Hiya, I've been working on 3 projects for GP2x, Wiz, Iphone and Pandora for a couple of years now, feeling a bit unsure as to whether there was any point, if I was blind and there would be no interest, even if I like them etc etc (as I'm sure a lot of programmers feel when they are working on projects ;) ) ... anyhow I thought I would show my desktop for said systems and see if anyone else would be interested in me continuing working on it, have not show certain features as I have a lot of ideas of some useful stuff for managing stuff, plus a AI layer on top of the actual OS/Desktop, but thought I'd show where the project was at 6 weeks ago :)

Still to do/finish :-

Multi 'live' cubes for desktop switcher, already got simple network mode in whereby can view another machine/handhelds desktop and control it via desktop switcher.

Programming Language :- Started... Basic like syntax

Lots of cool scripting and AI stuff ;)

Finish porting my Widget Toolkit.

Plus a million and one other things etc etc.

Currently artificially capped at 30 fps, runs full speed on GP2X F200 (clocked at stock 200 Mhz) unless too much alpha is used, so I have great hope of it running like this vid on Wiz/Canoo and Pandora + Iphone 3GS and 4G.

OK so...

It's a desktop environment? A replacement for XFCE, per say?

I like it - looks like a lot of fun. It looks nice, pretty snazzy. Though I'm not sure how long I'd want to spend simply playing with the desktop on my Pandora. I'd probably use it in place of XFCE. Though I'm only really using XFCE until a jazzy menu system comes along (if ever) or minimenu gets a couple of issues fixed.

Do you have plans to implement an every-app-full-screen ma6chbox style windowing system? I'd also prefer a much bigger, more finger friendly, taskbar.

I think if you're including a programming language, you should try and provide hooks to bash scripts from within. That would make it very powerful indeed.

Also, I'm a great Amiga fan, but the Amiga-style mouse pointers and widgets look very out of place on such a visually modern system.

WizardStan - Haven't Knocked up a decent skin for the music player yet (waiting till I can find someone good at gfx) so at the moment just using various WinAmp ones :)

Pleng said:
OK so...

It's a desktop environment? A replacement for XFCE, per say?

I like it - looks like a lot of fun. It looks nice, pretty snazzy. Though I'm not sure how long I'd want to spend simply playing with the desktop on my Pandora. I'd probably use it in place of XFCE. Though I'm only really using XFCE until a jazzy menu system comes along (if ever) or minimenu gets a couple of issues fixed.

Yes, although I wouldn't so much call it a replacement for XFCE, just something else that you can have as a choice, on systems like the GP2X and Wiz/Canoo without a desktop then yes, eventually I would hope that it will have enough features to justify running it as the main desktop.
I'm pleased you like it :) Once I have shortcuts and full icon features running I'll be implementing a built in launcher/menu that tracks your most used emulators and games etc, as long as most have the ability to launch with a rom name, clock speed desired etc etc :)
Pleng said:
Do you have plans to implement an every-app-full-screen ma6chbox style windowing system? I'd also prefer a much bigger, more finger friendly, taskbar.

Yes, that's the plan, to have little desktop versions of apps, as I prefer to have a few things available on screen at once, but to allow a quick switch to a fullscreen nicer looking version for ease of use... The taskbar is hard coded at the moment, but will eventually be resizable, just that on this video it's only running at 320 * 240 so on machines like GP2X F200 it makes sense not to use prescious vertical pixels on a fancy big taskbar.

Pleng said:
I think if you're including a programming language, you should try and provide hooks to bash scripts from within. That would make it very powerful indeed.

Also, I'm a great Amiga fan, but the Amiga-style mouse pointers and widgets look very out of place on such a visually modern system.
That would be nice, I always thought Arrex sounded cool on the Amiga but dropped out the scene before actually using, it but always wanted a desktop where every app can be controlled via a script and chain them together.
About the mouse pointer and widgets, I think I agree with you here although I have very little talent when it comes to pushing pixels or deciding on a default design for how they should look. I would like to make them bigger also, but I prefer to keep them small at the moment and will be implementing a "suck to button" feature for when your close to a button, which should help with finger use :)

I really could do with someone to help me decide the default look of the thing though :D

Last edited by a moderator:
(naw)mcx said:
I might be asking the wrong question, but this looks quite low resousrce use, if it can run on the GP2X, would that be correct?

Yes it's only about 1 MegaByte so far but will grow to about 3, the codes pretty tight and it runs artificially capped at 30 fps on a GP2X at 200 Mhz (it was designed to not need overclocking on a GP2X as the batteries are always a worry ;) )

disclaimer - start using too much alpha, the rgb feature on the background or the torch and it halves the speed on a GP2X, but this is to be expected.

yaKC said:
I'm pleased you like it :) Once I have shortcuts and full icon features running I'll be implementing a built in launcher/menu that tracks your most used emulators and games etc, as long as most have the ability to launch with a rom name, clock speed desired etc etc :)

You might want to have a look at lib_pnd. For the Pandora, at least, that will do all your tracking for you (it's what the base OS uses). Obviously you'd need to find an alternative system for your other target platforms... you could still make use of the PXML / OVR formats even on those though (perhaps keep a folder full of PXML files which point to apps on the 2X/Wiz's SD card, but on the Pandora these could be OVR files).

Pleng said:

Yes, that's the plan, to have little desktop versions of apps, as I prefer to have a few things available on screen at once, but to allow a quick switch to a fullscreen nicer looking version for ease of use... The taskbar is hard coded at the moment, but will eventually be resizable, just that on this video it's only running at 320 * 240 so on machines like GP2X F200 it makes sense not to use prescious vertical pixels on a fancy big taskbar.
[/quote]

Hmm yes I guess on the other platforms having a desktop would be a new experience. On the Pandora we already have a full desktop environment so that alone isn't a new feature. If it can have the option of all full screen or standard desktop mode that'd be great.

Pleng said:

That would be nice, I always thought Arrex sounded cool on the Amiga but dropped out the scene before actually using, it but always wanted a desktop where every app can be controlled via a script and chain them together.

Yea I never got into Arex either. As for basic bash integration, it could be achieved by implementing a script call as a function which passes the arguments as command line parameters and assigning the return code to a variable. (eg $variable=callscript('myscript.sh', 'param1', 'param2') ).

About the mouse pointer and widgets, I think I agree with you here although I have very little talent when it comes to pushing pixels or deciding on a default design for how they should look. I would like to make them bigger also, but I prefer to keep them small at the moment and will be implementing a "suck to button" feature for when your close to a button, which should help with finger use :)

As far as finger friendly interfaces go, a 'suck to button' feature wouldn't be much good. When you navigate with your finger, you don't tend to drag the pointer around, you ideally just want to press straight on the button itself.

I really could do with someone to help me decide the default look of the thing though :D

I'm not much use in graphics I'm afraid. I use autoshapes in Excel to do my gui mockups. I'd certainly be interested in giving some input with gui design/PND integration ideas though. Give me a buzz if you're interested.

This looks really interesting.

Will it work on an F100? Does it require special coded apps, or will it window Linux programs?

Fantastic Work :)
Just discovered it (thank's a lot tripmonkey ;) ) and i love it ... can't wait to try on my F200 and my Pandora (when arrive !!!).

That is sweet. I love it! Considering all we had on the gp2x that came close to a desktop was a horrible qtopia port, this is astounding. Please continue your efforts, I am sure lots of people will be quite thankfull.

The GUI needs some work but the features are really nice, hope to see more :)

It would be a decent alternative to the Wiz menu although there is a desktop type thing Win2X.

I found that using a mouse pointer desktop type thing doesn't work too well on handhelds especially when you need to use a d-pad to drag the mouse around (non F200 GP2X) and the Wiz touchscreen is not too reliable. For Pandora I would personally stick to XFCE for desktop use because it has all of the needed apps, and minimenu when I want to get to my game/app quickly.

It could be a good tool for F200 users and maybe the Wiz when the TS works though.

I just wanted to log in and say how sorry I am for not replying, truth is I too bad with various health problems about five months ago and have been unable to get much done on this project. I've felt very guilty for not replying but been stuck in bed 22 hours a day for past few months, that's why I originally posted the video and mentioned E.A.S.E, I just needed something in life to make me feel better/hope :( Thank you for your constructive criticisms and praise and Pleng, especially to you I'm so sorry for not getting bac to you dude... I actually really wanted to PM you to talk but at the time I honestly couldn't even straighten by arms or legs and couldn't type...

anyway, I f*cked up as usual and I fail so epically, lol... I promise I'll reply to each message soon :)

Cal

Hey Dude. Sorry to hear you've been unwell.

You have absolutely no reason to apologise. If I'd been unwell then replying to messages on here would be the last thing on my mind. Take your time, get yourself well, and if you have any time for this in the future than I'm willing to help out where I can.

Hope you're feeling better, man! I only just now saw this project, and I must say, it looks great! Definitely want. I don't have my Pandora yet, but this looks like a fun addition.

Very cool stuff! Is there a way to turn off most of the bells and whistles and down clock the system for power savings and still get most of the usability?

Back