Duke nukem 3D on 32X? Anyone?

SonicTehAwesomeFace

Still Fresh
I was wondering if it is possible to port Duke Nukem 3D (or ANY Build Engine game for that matter) to the SEGA 32X, and since I have absolutely NO experience in programming (except for a tic-tac-toe game on adobe flash builder/flex with a crap-load of help), I was wondering if somebody else could see if it could work. If any Build Engine games can run on it, then tell me.

On a side note, there WAS a MegaDrive port, but it looked like Wolfenstein 3D from what I've seen, and also the main theme (Grabbag) was severely butchered. I think the 32X has some (slight) sound advantages to the MegaDrive/Genesis alone. This video is the reason why I think the 32X could handle some pretty decent sound for Duke Nukem 3D:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/0HyGkXaDTgo?feature=oembed

If anyone could consider this port concept, then that would be great.

Thanks!

One of the worst problems on 32X is lack of RAM, and this is preventing ports like this, not to mention slow framebuffer access. Unless you mean enhancing MD version with better sound, that could somewhat work I guess.

One of the worst problems on 32X is lack of RAM, and this is preventing ports like this, not to mention slow framebuffer access. Unless you mean enhancing MD version with better sound, that could somewhat work I guess.
What about downgrading it to the Doom engine?

the doom engine is nothing like the duke nukem one :S
Yeah, That may not be a good Idea... But back to notaz:

I just realized something very obvious: Why not put the RAM on the cartridge itself?

That would be a pretty sick port!

On a side note, there WAS a MegaDrive port, but it looked like Wolfenstein 3D from what I've seen, and also the main theme (Grabbag) was severely butchered. I think the 32X has some (slight) sound advantages to the MegaDrive/Genesis alone. This video is the reason why I think the 32X could handle some pretty decent sound for Duke Nukem 3D:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/0HyGkXaDTgo?feature=oembed
That could work theoretically I suppose (although I don't have much experience with programming either, I'm more of a hardware guy ;) ). Perhaps someone else with more expertise in the programming department could chime in? Also it would require a lot of effort, money and time to develop this cartridge which could very likely stop a project like this dead in it's tracks. Also how could they distribute it legally? They couldn't without clearing the rights with 3drealms and whoever else may own some of the material in the original game. In order to make this in cartridge form, they would need to have ALL of the original files required for the game to run, therefore it would be (in the eyes of the law) a pirated game. With this in mind, they couldn't distribute it legally, especially in cartridge form, as the production and manufacturing of the cartridge costs money. They would be forced to charge some kind of fee to cover these costs which would then make it commercial piracy which is even worse. But one can dream.... If someone could somehow legally pull this off, it would be amazing *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge* *nudge* *cough* 3drealms and Sega please read this*cough*. It's unlikely that Sega or 3dRealms would ever approve of a port of this officially, as the 32x was a major flop commercially and the fact that it's long outdated and obsolete, but it would be awesome if somehow they did approve of this and give the green light.

Back