Dragons Lair

Interesting.

I was playing this the other day on my 3DO and man! It's a bugger to play! How do you get anywhere with it? Or am I too much of a non-super grey gamer? (quote from RetroGamer #37, Making of Final Fight)

craigix said:
It's on the mega-cd, it probably runs fine in picodrive if you can stand the megacd low colour video.

well, that would be something, but it would be so much cooler to have the original full colour footage dont you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
I love it anyway. Damn hard though.

Anyone a kid back in the day will never forget the first Dragon's Lair cabinet they laid eyes on.

imhotep said:
I love it anyway. Damn hard though.

Anyone a kid back in the day will never forget the first Dragon's Lair cabinet they laid eyes on.
May be I'm too old then, I was at uni when it came out. I was impressed when I saw it, I thought there'd be multiple paths through the game not just do something when you're told to or you die.

Line O'Sevens said:
Agreed.

Fantastic to watch, but excrutiating to play. :)

hehe. you may be right as i was never game to spend the $1 it cost to play back then. this is why it would be cool to see it on a handheld. just to look at (",)

of course now i think about it i could just get hold of the video and play it like a...video! no need to play it as a game...

There's an article in the current (or at least recent) issue of Retro Gamer magazine that discusses the various console and home computer versions of Dragon's Lair. Good article, the comparisons and reviews were interesting.

If you're not familiar with Retro Gamer magazine, I highly suggest checking it out. It's a UK-produced mag about the old titles enjoyed on both sides of the pond. I like learning about the Brit side of retro, I found out about the Speccy and Amstrad scenes through the GP2X and this magazine.

Link here: http://www.retrogamer.net/

Theres also the Amiga version of Dragons lair that should work with the gp2x amiga emulator.
Or if you want to play the best version (imho of course) you want to get hold of the C64 versionon frodo or vice. graphically not as good but more fun to play.

saehn said:
There's an article in the current (or at least recent) issue of Retro Gamer magazine that discusses the various console and home computer versions of Dragon's Lair. Good article, the comparisons and reviews were interesting.

If you're not familiar with Retro Gamer magazine, I highly suggest checking it out. It's a UK-produced mag about the old titles enjoyed on both sides of the pond. I like learning about the Brit side of retro, I found out about the Speccy and Amstrad scenes through the GP2X and this magazine.

Link here: http://www.retrogamer.net/

:angry: they dont air freight them to oz, i just bought the 'latest' issue frm the news agents. number 37, which i think was from about january!. worth the wait though...

oh how I loved/hated the original arcade game! I had the original game laserdisc (space ace too) and a friend and I hacked a pioneer laserdisc player to work through the paddle/joystick(?) port on an apple 2e, and we wrote an applesoft program to play the game. We even had a coin slot from an old arcade game rigged in. Spent a whole summer fiddling with it. I wish I was half as smart now as I vaguely remember myself being when I was 18. :blink:

I have no idea how we did it now. Those were the days. Computer and video games were new then, and you could chewing gum and bailing wire together amazing experiments. I feel kinda like that with homebrewing on the gp2x.

danny_galaga said:
Line O'Sevens said:
Agreed.

hehe. you may be right as i was never game to spend the $1 it cost to play back then. this is why it would be cool to see it on a handheld. just to look at (",)

of course now i think about it i could just get hold of the video and play it like a...video! no need to play it as a game...

Yeah watching someone finish the game was cool. Drew quite the crowd when the game first came out. I still enjoy it occasionally on the mame cab but I'm not sure why, nostalgia maybe? That intro is still very cool and inspiring. And $1, wow, it was the first game I remember being 50 cents. Everything up until Dragon's Lair in my area was a quarter. Space Ace was also 50 cents.

I've had Daphne in my cab for quite a long time. I should probably upgrade it (going on like 4 years old now). Wasn't the Daphne guy going to port to the gp2x??

~telengard

telengard said:
danny_galaga said:
Line O'Sevens said:
Agreed.

Yeah watching someone finish the game was cool. Drew quite the crowd when the game first came out. I still enjoy it occasionally on the mame cab but I'm not sure why, nostalgia maybe? That intro is still very cool and inspiring. And $1, wow, it was the first game I remember being 50 cents. Everything up until Dragon's Lair in my area was a quarter. Space Ace was also 50 cents.

I've had Daphne in my cab for quite a long time. I should probably upgrade it (going on like 4 years old now). Wasn't the Daphne guy going to port to the gp2x??

~telengard

If you follow the link to my original post it will give you the current state of play with the GP2X port.

Parkydr said:
danny_galaga said:
NeilT said:
This may be of interest - DAPHNE

sweet! that answers the question then (",)

Like I said in post #5 nearly 2 weeks earlier :huh:

all i saw was the word DAPHNE as a link. daphne has been around forever. so i didnt look at your link. i didnt realise they were doing a gp2x version until i looked at neils link. and now i look at YOUR link, it still wouldnt have been obvious ;-)

Back