Dragon Phone?

murak

Website
www.em-rocks.com
Hi Dragon!

I know you are working hard on the Pyra, so please don't feel pressured to answer this question if you have better things to do.

However. Through the years you have become pretty experienced in building and working with Linux devices. I also think that you liked the N900 for it's unique capabilities.

Have you thought of building a Linux Phone?

Nice and thick, with a keyboard, resistive screen, proper desktop Linux etc etc?

Thank you for your time and good luck with the Pyra!

The Pyra will be a phone! Yes yes! Optionally, anyway, it's an extra module that can either be added or not at manufacture time.
Originally EvilDragon was only adding the cell module to be used for data, but it has full phone calling capabilities too.
He's still working on the final details as to whether it'll be 3G or 4G (there's a lot of politics to work through here) but one way or another it will be a cell phone.
It's not very phone-form, so I plan on getting something like this actually receiving calls.

The Pyra will be a phone! Yes yes! Optionally, anyway, it's an extra module that can either be added or not at manufacture time.
Originally EvilDragon was only adding the cell module to be used for data, but it has full phone calling capabilities too.
He's still working on the final details as to whether it'll be 3G or 4G (there's a lot of politics to work through here) but one way or another it will be a cell phone.
It's not very phone-form, so I plan on getting something like this actually receiving calls.

I can't wait for the Pyra side-talking memes.

Thank you for your answers.

I did not know that Pyra had phone capabilities, but even though that's nice it's not what I was fishing for.

I was very exited when I first heard about the neo900 but the step-up in specs is too low for me to consider it. And I think that sadly that is the case with many potential customers...

Cheers!

The Pyra is Nice and Thick, and it got a Proper Linux, Debian ARM..
And you can Play Tetris on it..
Its a Phone..
the only problem is, it ditnt have a Cam on it, to make selfies, but you could use your fancy Mirror Reflex Camera to shoot pix, and than put the card in the Pyra

Reactions: rSl
Haha, yes, the Pyra is nice and thick :) But ok; I´m fishing for a device like the Nokia N900. A smartphone with physical keyboard, heavy on the landscape mode, "proper" Linux and a resistive screen.

Sorry, but the Pyra fits all of those requirements. What exactly is it that makes you stay away from it?

The obvious alternatives is simply just the N900, or the Neo900.

I'm very interested in the Pyra, just not as a smartphone. As exclamation said, the form factor is one thing and I guess proper mike and ear-speaker is important too. Of course the physical stuff has to be matched with software that makes it easy to use as a phone (calling, sms, mms, contacts etc). Think N900 but with slightly larger screen and more modern specs.

And yes, even though I don't take a lot of selfies, a camera is something at least I think a smartphone should have :)

I'm with murak. A linux phone with a mobile phone form factor (that Pyra haven't) can be a great idea. Them can share the same OS even the modular design.
I'd buy it since my phone is ancient, I could use a camera and I don't like Android.

Are there maybe USB cameras out there, that have the optics and the USB plug in the same casing - so no wire involved?

I was very exited when I first heard about the neo900 but the step-up in specs is too low for me to consider it. And I think that sadly that is the case with many potential customers...
Cheers!

For me it is more about the price and small screen. Still own and use the N900 though. Great phone, but a pyra as a phone - with the mobile phone form factor - would be amazing. Some people here try to 'sell' the Pyra as a phone but it clearly isn't one and it just doesn't make sense to advertise it as a phone.
A 'real' Pyra phone will probably not happen anytime soon - I don't think ED is currently looking for a new project ;)

Are there maybe USB cameras out there, that have the optics and the USB plug in the same casing - so no wire involved?
I think I have seen some on geekbuying or eBay, they are often sold as extras for Android TV sticks.

For me it is more about the price and small screen. Still own and use the N900 though. Great phone, but a pyra as a phone - with the mobile phone form factor - would be amazing. Some people here try to 'sell' the Pyra as a phone but it clearly isn't one and it just doesn't make sense to advertise it as a phone.
A 'real' Pyra phone will probably not happen anytime soon - I don't think ED is currently looking for a new project ;)
Yes, the screen on N900 is very small, <5" and HD resolution is probably what I would like. And yes, if the neo900 upgrade was cheaper I would probably consider it. And yes again :) I'm sure ED have enough work as it is, I'm just curious if he thought about it.

Back