Download Pyra Debian OS (WIP)

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Well, some here might have OMAP5 devboards, so you can check out early versions of the Pyra Debian OS (based on Jessie).

You can always find the current rootfs images here:

http://packages.pyra-handheld.com/rootfs/

There's also the MLO, u-boot.img, etc. - no further instructions, as anyone who is using a devboard should know how this works.
If you have any issues, let me know and I'll try to help you.

I've just built a current image, so you can try it out.

Some information about the current image (2014-12-17):

• Debian with XFCE4 (using fbturbo with Pyra-optimized settings) preinstalled
  • Repositories (to Debian and our own ones) should be properly setup (incl. Pyra-Keyring)
  • Login: pyra / pyra and root-Passwort is root for now
  • If no network-cable is connected, it takes a LOOOONG time to boot (as it tries to connect to the network and has a time out).
  • First boot takes a loooong time - so please be patient :)
  • I've not tested it yet - so it might not even work (but hopefully, it does)

Hm, while that is the right dir for the rootfs images, the ones currently in there are a bit old, or don't work properly (probably a slight problem with ED's config).

A working image can be found here : http://next.openpandora.org/pyra-debian-testing-xfce-rootfs-2014-12-17.tgz

And for those without an omap5 devboard, the current image works on the pandora as well. (In fact, even better, since we do have a fully working kernel on pandora).

It's all just standard debian testing at this point.

To try the image on the pandora, make an sd card with a single ext2 partition, extract the rootfs to it, and extract
http://next.openpandora.org/pyra-rootfs-pnd.tgz on top of it (you should see autoboot.txt in the root dir when its done)

Then just insert the card into the pandora, power it up, and it should run the config script first, then reboot. and it should show a login screen when it's done.

Default login/password is pyra/pyra , or root/root , but you can change that if you edit the pyra-config.sh file in the root of the card before you boot it for the first time.

It's probably slighly disapointing that it's just a boring default xfce4 debian install, but most time up to this point was spent in figuring out how to set up the back end (building packages, setting up the repo, building rootfs images).

slighly disapointing 
Not at all, I have no clue about what you guys are doing (well I have an idea but no scope of all the work involved) but reading about any progress is great!

(for the rest of this thread I shall remain silent not to bother anyone with my offtopic jibberish)

Okay, updated my image as well, the official rootfs should now work without issues as well.

And for those without an omap5 devboard, the current image works on the pandora as well. (In fact, even better, since we do have a fully working kernel on pandora).
Does this mean the build system is currently set up for both Pandora and Pyra, so packages can easily be built for both?

It's set up to build debian armhf packages, which work on pretty much every modern arm cpu, including the pandora.

It's set up to build debian armhf packages, which work on pretty much every modern arm cpu, including the pandora.
I just booted it up. Works so far. I will try installing some packages when I get home. I know it's nothing that amazing, but I am very excited to see the results of the new OS development.
Thank you!

Does this mean the build system is currently set up for both Pandora and Pyra, so packages can easily be built for both?
I'd like to know that as well. Will we later be able to use PyraOS on SD in our pandoras? That would be great to have. I would love to be able to run debian on my pandora and the approaches we have right now are not really doing it for me. Haven't tried for a while but reading the appropriate threads makes me believe it's all rather hacky and I would like something that I can rely on for regular use.
EDIT: Ooooh. Just read the last replies. I think I am just going to try it.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ well you can try it right now, but there are a few issues with this Pyra OS image on the pandora, like the keymap not being correct, no battery monitoring, no mouse nub mode, no SGX driver.. etc  The Wifi however is working, so that's good.

I got the keymap working via this tutorial here: https://wiki.debian.org/DebianOnHandhelds/OpenPandora..

Maybe eventually it will be more complete, but since it's using hardfloat most PNDs won't work on it even if the PND system is installed on it. Although it is a fairly recent version of debian which makes it good for what I want it for.

^ well you can try it right now, but there are a few issues with this Pyra OS image on the pandora, like the keymap not being correct, no battery monitoring, no mouse nub mode, no SGX driver.. etc  The Wifi however is working, so that's good.

I got the keymap working via this tutorial here: https://wiki.debian.org/DebianOnHandhelds/OpenPandora..

Maybe eventually it will be more complete, but since it's using hardfloat most PNDs won't work on it even if the PND system is installed on it. Although it is a fairly recent version of debian which makes it good for what I want it for.
My wifi detection works, but I could not connect to anything. After selecting a network, I immediately get a disconnection notification.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NetworkManagersuggests this can be caused by not having gnome-keyring, so I will try removing the password on my router, install the keyring, and then try again with the password.

If you find something like that and installing a package fixes the issue, please let us know here so we can add the package to the next rootfs :)

Posting from my pandora with the new Pyra OS. Awesome.

Installed Gnome-keyring and its dependencies while on lunch at my desk job, and now on the secure Wifi at my courier job. I will post exclamation points once I apply TrashyMG's keyboard fix.

It's closer to "Yup" than "Nope" though. Most of the work of turning the current DBP sources into a .deb is already done.

And as for adding proper pandora support to the rootfs, that's something I sort of planned on doing anyway.

It's mostly a matter of adding a few packages that take care of the pandora specifics, which aren't that different from the pyra ones in most cases.

Everything is already set up to be as generic as possible.

That is very good to know! Didn't have time to prepare an SDcard yet to try it myself.

Unfortunately this didn't seem to work for me. I copied over keymap-extension-2.6.map and .pndXmodmap, and then created .xinitrc in /etc/skel/ and pasted in :

xmodmap /etc/skel/.pndXmodmap

loadkeys /etc/keymap-extension-2.6.map

Should I have put this somewhere else?

Back