DOTA?

I'd like to start a list of what is wrong with this video

[...]

-girls and mmorpg's don't happen

[...]

-hot girls are only in video games they don't play them

Sorry, I know you were joking around, and by no means am I trying to single you out, but this is something that irks me quite a bit-- and it's not your fault, you don't know any better-- but why are people so god damned dead-set on perpetuating the myth that girls do not play video games, and when they do, they are the fugliest thing on the planet? I once knew a girl who was obsessed with World of Warcraft; played it every night, avoided her schoolwork, got kicked out of school eventually. I kind of had a thing for her for a while. She was not bad looking at all, I mean, she was at least an 8/10.

The truth is, girls are quite capable of being genuinely interested in games (exempli gratia, Prometheus). I have a theory that it's a combination of "HERP DERP THERE ARE NO GIRLS ON TEH INTARWEBZ" and "OMG it is a REAL GIRL (i think, i hope, maybe?) LETS ASK HER IF SHE WANTS TO PRETEND TO DO IT WITH A COMPLETE STRANGER" that makes this attitude a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Though, oddly, this girl I was talking of participated in the erotic roleplay element quite often. I wonder what the fourteen boyfriends she cycled through during the time I knew her would have thought about that O.O (if you sense my bitterness, it is due to the fact that I spent my first quarter and a half at the Institute being friendzoned. I'm happy now and wouldn't change a thing, but the complete waste of fucking time is what still angers me)

I was playing on the sterotype, but if you sit on your ass playing mmorpgs all day you will get fat, fat girls are not hot.

The song was about Dota and vent... if you are into gaming enough to know what dota even is, you have spent a significant amount of time playing video games, if you use vent that probably means you spend a whole lot of time gaming further enforcing the point of spending hours apon hours sitting on your butt doing nothing.

if that chic was hot... she won't be for long if she continues that lifestyle.

Anyway, it was a joke... lighten up.

EDIT: my wife is a gamer btw... even though she plays pussy ass games like lego harry potter and farmville.. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Short stories:

Once upon a time.

My wife plays video games. That's why she's my wife.

I once played DoTA (HoN to be precise). One word: Learning curve.

I once prefixed a two word phrase with the qualifier "One word"

DoTA and the mouse requirement. ++++ It requires at least two mice, and about a kg of pure, refined caffeine to play successfully.

The only thing that caught my eye in that video was the white SteelSeries headphones. SteelSeries ++++

A ground-up Pandora-only DoTA title would still be nice. Then everyone would have the same handicap.

The End.

-The only time I played DotA was players vs. AI, so I didn't find it that difficult to learn. Of course, there was a very experienced player sitting next to me telling me how to get the good gear.

-LEGO Batman was pretty fun. My fingers didn't get sore like they usually do when I play with LEGOs.

-Those headphones look pretty awesome, but I'm just looking for some nice music phones. So some of the features would be lost on me. I'll have to look up that headphone thread from a few months back.

-I would also be interested in a Pandora DotA-style game. I'm finding typical RPGs take too much of my time. I just don't have as much as I used to.

-I know some girls who play video games. I've even dated a few. There was also the girl who said she was amazing in Goldeneye. I had a DD44 against her Kalashnikov. Good times...

I was playing on the sterotype, but if you sit on your ass playing mmorpgs all day you will get fat, fat girls are not hot.

[...]

if that chic was hot... she won't be for long if she continues that lifestyle.

All right, now you're just being a dumbass. Capitalist society has fabricated the attractiveness of malnourished-looking twiggy little girls in order to sell their açaí supplements and weight loss routines. If you actually think that a woman stops being hot by default as soon as she reaches a threshold of weight, there's something wrong with you.

About the girl, she has since gained a moderate amount of weight, but it was a product of nightly pre-coital binge drinking, not the Warcraft.

Also, I know it was a joke. I believe I made reference to it-- but joking around or not, it's what's keeping girls away from gaming.

EDIT: my wife is a gamer btw... even though she plays pussy ass games like lego harry potter and farmville.. lol

My life partner isn't what I would call a 'gamer,' but she plays Frontierville, which in all it's slow-loading, frame-skipping Flash-y terror is her favourite game of all time. I console myself by convincing myself that it's only a gateway drug... :p :D I have told her I am going to code her an alternative, which she says she'll play... what she doesn't know is that it will be IN SPACE  :eek: that should get things rolling...

This is probably one of the most silly game ports you could ever ask for, even disregarding the lack of source for WC3/HoN/LoL.

Not asking for a port, I was wondering if HoN had native arm, and also if there were any games like that out for arm/pandora. Sure it'd be difficult to play, but I'd sure like to try.

All right, now you're just being a dumbass. Capitalist society has fabricated the attractiveness of malnourished-looking twiggy little girls in order to sell their açaí supplements and weight loss routines. If you actually think that a woman stops being hot by default as soon as she reaches a threshold of weight, there's something wrong with you.

About the girl, she has since gained a moderate amount of weight, but it was a product of nightly pre-coital binge drinking, not the Warcraft.

Also, I know it was a joke. I believe I made reference to it-- but joking around or not, it's what's keeping girls away from gaming.

My life partner isn't what I would call a 'gamer,' but she plays Frontierville, which in all it's slow-loading, frame-skipping Flash-y terror is her favourite game of all time. I console myself by convincing myself that it's only a gateway drug... :p :D I have told her I am going to code her an alternative, which she says she'll play... what she doesn't know is that it will be IN SPACE  :eek: that should get things rolling...
I would say morbidly obese is unattractive... being so fat that the entire medical community as a whole, unanimously agrees, you are unhealthy is where I draw the line of being attractive. Being so skinny that it is unhealthy is also what I would consider unattractive. Healthy is attractive. Sedentary lifestyle will cause obesity if you don't change your eating habits, it's a numbers game calories in... calories out. Playing warcraft does not burn calories.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obesity

making comments about hot girls not playing video games is not what keeps the majority of girls from playing them... that's one of the most idiotic comments I ever heard, it's because they don't have interest in the activity. I like skateboarding, but I suck at it and look like an idiot while doing it, it's still fun to do and I do it because I enjoy it. Do something because you like to do it, not because you are ashamed of how people view you because of something you enjoy. You need to grow up and stop living like the real world is high school... if you are still in high school.. I apologize, you'll figure out what I mean someday... hopefully.

I do not appreciate being called a dumbass for making a joke, and lashing out at me for your preconceived notions of what I meant. I have a movie quote for you from a rather comical movie I want you to really take to heart.

"Now I want you to take a step back... and literally fuck your own face!" -Les Grossman, tropic thunder

making comments about hot girls not playing video games is not what keeps the majority of girls from playing them... that's one of the most idiotic comments I ever heard, it's because they don't have interest in the activity.
Do pardon me, I was just wandering on through and spotted the tangent that's been taking place. If I may give a woman's point of view on the matter... The lack of interest in the activity is at times because some of us find it distasteful to be associated with the behaviour of some who take part in it (who, whilst a minority, loudly disparage some of the games we choose along with those of us who play them, for example, which is of course off-putting to some - indeed, I spotted what *appeared* to possibly be an instance of that in this very thread...). Indeed, as a result I certainly dislike being termed as a "gamer", due to the connotations attached to that term. The behaviour of elitists won't put me off of playing what I want to play, but it's very easy to understand why it can sometimes contribute to a lack of interest from some. :p

Well I think we should all heighten our senses and be aware and rest assured that Prometheus has adequately rapped male wrists and we need all salute the seasonally attired Mega Women in her lovelyness, of both well reasoned and moderate moderation, and her purely awesome knowledge of all things retro and potentially electrically defective to our(perhaps timely)undoings!

I do agree with earlier posts that women have taken a bad rap in gaming though, are generally exploited stereotypes within games and that female games players probably have a bad time in online games if known, for all kinds of reasons. Which only really speaks volumes about male gamers?

What the hell is with the history of female game show hosts for example?

^ I certainly don't, and can't, speak for everyone, but I've certainly known other women with that sort of perspective, and often share it.

Just don't get me started on what was done to Samus Aran. :p

^I only skimmed up to the part that said you aren't allowed to go in guns ablaze. That makes me sad. I liked the old style of gameplay: When in doubt, shoot it. If it blinks, keep shooting. Or just lay a powerbomb.

But what's with all this new stuff about Adam? Samus was alone in 1, 2, 3, and Prime (from what I played, at least). And then someone was mentioned in Fusion. There was that guy in the blue suit in the Nintendo Power comic, but I thought he was rather...well, he wasn't Samus. Metroid was fun for the "let me explore on my own." It's not really a "tell me what to do" game.

I've officially gone offtopic.

^I only skimmed up to the part that said you aren't allowed to go in guns ablaze. That makes me sad. I liked the old style of gameplay: When in doubt, shoot it. If it blinks, keep shooting. Or just lay a powerbomb.

But what's with all this new stuff about Adam? Samus was alone in 1, 2, 3, and Prime (from what I played, at least). And then someone was mentioned in Fusion. There was that guy in the blue suit in the Nintendo Power comic, but I thought he was rather...well, he wasn't Samus. Metroid was fun for the "let me explore on my own." It's not really a "tell me what to do" game.

I've officially gone offtopic.
I haven't played Other M, I was kind of looking forward to it, but having read that review, the "new" Samus, I don't think I can support the franchise anymore :(

I would say morbidly obese is unattractive... being so fat that the entire medical community as a whole, unanimously agrees, you are unhealthy is where I draw the line of being attractive. Being so skinny that it is unhealthy is also what I would consider unattractive. Healthy is attractive. Sedentary lifestyle will cause obesity if you don't change your eating habits, it's a numbers game calories in... calories out. Playing warcraft does not burn calories.
You said "fat girls are not attractive." You can be fat without being morbidly obese. You're changing your stance here. I'm fine with that, if that's what you really meant, and I can agree with this statement (especially the anorexically-skinny part). Though I'm pretty sure some plus-sized models would probably qualify for the medical term "morbidly obese," but the fact is they're just as sexy as their "healthy" counterparts.

Also, the truth is it is not as simple as calories-in, calories-out. A slow metabolism, for instance, will complicate weight loss and facilitate gain, whereas a hyperactive one will enable you to sit all day and do nothing, becoming incredibly unhealthy, without gaining any weight at all.

You need to grow up and stop living like the real world is high school... if you are still in high school.. I apologize, you'll figure out what I mean someday... hopefully.
What? Where did I do that? Please state your motive for calling me a high-schooler. If you actually think that girls avoid MMO's simply because they are girls, this conversation cannot continue on a logical level. I'd say my hypothesis is just that, a hypothesis, and doesn't deserve you calling it "idiotic." I believe that a female may feel a sort of "out of place" feeling when confronted with this giant community where "women do not exist here" is constantly thrown around. Does this or does this not seem logically sound to you?

I do not appreciate being called a dumbass for making a joke, and lashing out at me for your preconceived notions of what I meant. I have a movie quote for you from a rather comical movie I want you to really take to heart.
I didn't call you a dumbass for the joke. I called you a dumbass for making an umbrella statement that "fat girls are not hot." Men who have that attitude should be relieved of their "No Fat Chicks" bumper stickers, put on death row, given their option of last meal (most likely something deep-fried and a can of beer), lined up, and shot, followed by an inglorious burial. They are the very reason why living with an endocrine disorder as a female is an utter living hell.

Now, what about that movie quote?

"Now I want you to take a step back... and literally fuck your own face!" -Les Grossman, tropic thunder
Right, then. Who's the high-schooler now, hmm?

I also agree that morbid obesity is simply dangerous health wise, but I fail to see how that could diminish any attraction a person of weight may have about themselves to others who behold them, or god forbid unto themselves and their self worth.

They are a unique individual with qualities all their own and the spark that is theirs to share will alight any who 'take the time to get to know them' (read meet another human in honest fashion). If anything its the skinny models referred to otherwise, that are actually unattractive rakes. I mean when was the last time you fancied the biology class skeleton? Hmmm look at the scapulas on that!

The world is far too bodyist (now I'm an anorexist) and I for one want rid of the stigmas and corporate labeling of people. Most of us just want simple things like shelter, food, clothing and decency between our kin regardless of skin, religion, politics or how many sodas you down on mammoth gaming sessions or otherwise if your a social animal and booze or anything else is you thing.

Though the bottom line is that most of you want a small, yet big Bad ASSED Pandora!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/qlJSRhs64VY?feature=oembed

You said "fat girls are not attractive." You can be fat without being morbidly obese. You're changing your stance here. I'm fine with that, if that's what you really meant, and I can agree with this statement (especially the anorexically-skinny part). Though I'm pretty sure some plus-sized models would probably qualify for the medical term "morbidly obese," but the fact is they're just as sexy as their "healthy" counterparts.

Also, the truth is it is not as simple as calories-in, calories-out. A slow metabolism, for instance, will complicate weight loss and facilitate gain, whereas a hyperactive one will enable you to sit all day and do nothing, becoming incredibly unhealthy, without gaining any weight at all.

What? Where did I do that? Please state your motive for calling me a high-schooler. If you actually think that girls avoid MMO's simply because they are girls, this conversation cannot continue on a logical level. I'd say my hypothesis is just that, a hypothesis, and doesn't deserve you calling it "idiotic." I believe that a female may feel a sort of "out of place" feeling when confronted with this giant community where "women do not exist here" is constantly thrown around. Does this or does this not seem logically sound to you?

I didn't call you a dumbass for the joke. I called you a dumbass for making an umbrella statement that "fat girls are not hot." Men who have that attitude should be relieved of their "No Fat Chicks" bumper stickers, put on death row, given their option of last meal (most likely something deep-fried and a can of beer), lined up, and shot, followed by an inglorious burial. They are the very reason why living with an endocrine disorder as a female is an utter living hell.

Now, what about that movie quote?

Right, then. Who's the high-schooler now, hmm?
Depends solely on your definition of fat... my definition of fat is morbidly obese... I'm not changing my stance on shit... I think you wanted me to though. I still full heartedly think fat girls are as unattractive as ever. My definition didn't change because you misunderstood me. You even said yourself "plus-sized models would probably qualify for the medical term "morbidly obese" So YOUR idea of fat must be slightly overweight. Quit trying to turn my words into meaning something you want to hate me for, I gave you the goddamn definition of obese and that's what I thought fat was. It is exactly 25-30 BMI if you want a actual number of what I think actual fat is. Which has in plain medical science been determined to be medically unhealthy. Is that not exact enough for you, or are you going to continue to try to twist what I said in your favor for this retarded ass argument? Girls love to do that bullshit all the time... I know.

what part of burning less calories than you take in don't you understand? Metabolism, genetic disorders, thyroid disease, diabetes.. it doesn't f**king matter... in the end it's still all basic math... I'll break it down like Barney... You get 10 apples a day, I take 5 away from you every day... eventually you will have a shit load of apples.... they have to go somewhere... that place is probally going to be your ass... Just sayin. I don't care what is medically wrong with you or anyone else, but if you or anyone goes for a walk for 12 hours you will burn more calories than sitting at your computer playing warcraft for 12 hours. If you feel differently... I'm really sorry but you are extremely wrong. Try it and find out. I don't know what gave you the idea that just because you burn more calories sitting on your ass doing nothing than the next person who's sitting on their ass doing nothing that you will somehow magically lose weight playing video games... not going to happen. It will catch up to you eventually. I see fat people all day every day at work, the ones that are fat are the ones behind computers, the skinny ones are the ones that get up and move around.

I'm sorry for calling you a high schooler... I misclassified you, you just came off that way... you are in reality a femonazi... the rational of a teenage girl, just alot more aggressive towards men, rather than just the entire world... I was confused, for that, my apologizes. So you think a man should be publicly executed in a extremely non-respectable fashion because they don't think fat girls are attractive? Their opinions are to blame because you have a hard time with your thyroid problem? (that my wife also has by the way) I hope you get hit by a freaking buss Hitler. (before you say a f**king thing here, mind the fact you just stereotyped me personally and said I should die for it, just wanted to keep that part fresh in your mind if you you decide to write a response) And just another FYI as a overweight guy myself that used to be skinny I got a lot more attention by the ladies when I was skinny than after I put on a few pounds. So make sure to find room for women in your little concentration camp too, will ya?

EDIT: oh and about the movie quote... I meant it, I wasn't being childish.. really.. f**k yourself, kthxbai

Guys, some men are attracted to large women, some people are attracted to skinny women. Some men like big boobs, some prefer small. Some like red heads, some like brunettes. There is NO accounting for taste. If someone says they do not find heavy set women attractive, they can be no more wrong in their opinion than if they had said they are not attracted to women who are taller then them, or who have short hair, or have green skin with purple polka dots, or whatever.

<awesome post>

Though the bottom line is that most of you want a small, yet big Bad ASSED Pandora!

<funny video>

Guys, some men are attracted to large women, some people are attracted to skinny women. Some men like big boobs, some prefer small. Some like red heads, some like brunettes. There is NO accounting for taste. If someone says they do not find heavy set women attractive, they can be no more wrong in their opinion than if they had said they are not attracted to women who are taller then them, or who have short hair, or have green skin with purple polka dots, or whatever.

Both brilliant posts. I especially admire MarioPandio's viewpoint on the matter. I agree, it's what's inside that counts in the end anyway. I feel that physical appearance is such a troublemaking façade. We would all be much better off as ascended pure energy beings.

johnsongrantr, it was not my intention to twist your words and I certainly never, ever said or implied that I hated you. I don't hate anybody-- if there is anything I hate in this thread, it is making enemies. I misunderstood what you meant by "fat." That said, opinions are opinions and we are both entitled to ours, as the wise WizardStan has said, so I'm sorry about trying to force mine.

Also, the bit about being lined up and shot probably didn't apply to you now that I think about it, since we're only talking about opinions and not facts here. See, I only have a problem with people who hate fat people and I think I wrongly put you in that category just for what you said (though you could have said it in a bit of a less "factual" way). That said it's wrong to talk about killing people at any rate. I think I felt myself become a little bit less human as I read that a second time. I can be such an asshat, really.

All right, I'm sorry to everyone for causing such a disturbance. I got caught up in my rage. I feel that I'm right about a couple of things but people are always entitled to their opinions, that's why we are all citizens of the free world, so I'm just gonna be quiet now, and try not to incite any more hard feelings. I'm probably gonna stay away from the "post" button for a couple days... probably the best way to deal with this.

Back