Dosbox

col_bluff

Still Fresh
Please can anyone help me to setup dosbox on my GP2x. Downloaded the lastest version and stuck it in the game folder on my sd card. when run it goes black and then goes to the menu screen. Thanks for your help and time.

you need to read the documentation in the release. Since you do not have a keyboard you need to set up each game with a dosbox configuration file that autexec's the start of the game. You also need a customized script to start dosbox with that configuration file. You can set this up using wordpad on a windows box or use a standard unix/linux text editor. I have it running for some dos games but some of the ones I wanted to use with it do not work completely.

there are, iirc at least three files you need to create or configure.

the general dosbox.conf file
the specific key map file for the game you're putting in
the shell script (shortcut) to launch the game.

the shell script is where you tell dosbox what "directory" in dos to start in, what exe to run (so you don't have to type it), and where dosbox.conf is.

perhaps you just realized, hey, this means i can have a different dosbox.conf file for every game, and yes this is exactly what you want to do. mostly they will be the same but some games need different settings.

for at least the shell script, you need a good text editor like notepad++ that can save in unix format, assuming you are in windows.

check the wiki link mr2x posted. it has everything you need and more. plus there is a list of which games work OK. many don't work or are very slow. this is not to knock the great work of the people who've contributed to dosbox on gp2x. it's just a lot harder to emulate x86 & dos pc environment than hardware like the 68k which many video game consoles had. not to knock the people doing 68k emulation. crap :ph34r:

argor said:
http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,5,2294

I need help...

Been trying to get DosBox configured on my F200, but I'm having the same problem as the original poster.

I'm pretty sure I have my dosbox.conf and gpe files set up right. I even used DosBoxBlast, though I found it modified dosbox.conf in the dosbox directory but attempts to link to one in the game directory.

What I'm seeing is a black screen, followed by a mouse pointer in the top left corner, what I *think* is the sound engine initializing (I hear a louder "hiss" than usual) followed about 5 seconds later with dropping back the to the menu.

Thinking it was the application I was trying to run, I tried another listed on the GP2X wiki page as working, but no success. Both apps used .bat files to launch the application, but that's always worked for me on PC/Linux DOSBox.

What is the normal behaviour for DosBox? Should the C:\ prompt come up before a game?

Is anyone able to upload a set of files to demonstrate a good setup, say "HELOWRLD.BAT" and associated dosbox.conf files? It would be good to know if this is an F200 problem, or stupid user syndrome.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've verified that this does not appear to run on my F200, with the behaviour described above. I thought it was my own conf/gpe files, but the same problem occurs with the two games packaged with DOSBox, with dosbox installed into the root of the sd card. I'm guessing this is an F200 problem, but I don't have any way to diagnose it further.

Please help! We'd love to play DOSBox, even without touchscreen support! :)

I found some problems with the basic configuration files when trying to run other games. In some cases the amount of memory you allow DOSBOX to use are not enough. I have a copy of my dosbox folder at http://www.ivrtech.net/files/dosbox.zip that has been tested on my GP2X-F100. The "Hand of Fate" games does not work beyond the menu screen, I am still playing with that one.

This was zipped from the root of my SD card ....

Strange, your dosbox directory works, at least for tyrian and alone in the dark. I tried taking your conf files and getting one of my games to work, no dice. I'll research the problem and come back here.

You're right, it's likely a problem with dosbox.conf. I just wish it would give a better error message to indicate the problem.

OK, I found my major problem. dosbox.conf is case sensitive, even though DOS isn't. So you have to capitalize your appname (I think even if the app isn't capitalized on the SD card).

I did manage to get Alley Cat to work. However the game I was really hoping to get going "Project Space Station" doesn't appear to work... It looks like some sort of graphics error as the program loads. I know that game is available for the C64 but it feels a bit glitchy there.

Anyways, thanks for people's help here. I'm shying away from DosBox as it looks like it works for a few specific games rather than a broad spectrum of older DOS games, which is unfortunate. Here's hoping for new versions in the future!

Back