Dos Emulator

Luis

Still Fresh
Does anyone know if there is a DOS emulator around (or one in development), something like DOSbox? I think it would be great to be able to play games like DUNE 2, MIGHT AND MAGIC 3, SYSTEM SHOCK and KINGS QUEST 5 on the GP32.
I know we can play Doom and SCUMM games but I was thinking of a generic DOS emulator instead of emulators for individual games.

ratx

Website
Visit site
Hi sorry - don't know of any, and its probally not going to happen nor is technically feasable. There are a lot of posts on this subject so expect people to remind you of this ;) oh and most of the games you have listed are available on another emulated platform.

Cheers

foft

Certified Guru
Website
www.scrameta.net
AlexW posted on Dec 31 2004 at 02:21 PM said:
I still think this would be possible...
Why not try to make a GP32 version of this...
http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/

I _was_ considering having a go at this. Quite cunning the way it works, building up opcodes from small bits of c code, to reduce porting cost. Should be possible to do a 10MHz 286 or something I reckon. However it takes a fait bit of memory. In terms of porting there are quite a lot of Linux system dependencies to remove. Guess someone (with the memory upgrade) could try it on the Linux port to see what kind of performance it gives.

Course I broke my first GP32 attempting the mem upgrade. Then I couldn't even get Civ running on it (easily) under Linux x86. Which was why i wanted it...

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:

Klown

Trolling on the Spiderweb
Website
klown.info
Luis posted on Dec 31 2004 at 12:19 PM said:
Does anyone know if there is a DOS emulator around (or one in development), something like DOSbox? I think it would be great to be able to play games like DUNE 2, MIGHT AND MAGIC 3, SYSTEM SHOCK and KINGS QUEST 5 on the GP32.
I know we can play Doom and SCUMM games but I was thinking of a generic DOS emulator instead of emulators for individual games.
That sounds like a perfectly researched and intelligent idea. I've already started work on coding a dosbox port!

Hanz™

FIGHT THE POWER! :D
Website
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that recently I read about a post for a dos emulator (for Windows) which had relatively low specs but i can't remember what it was called.

Shall go and look now.

Hanz™

FIGHT THE POWER! :D
Website
Visit site
There was speculation that Bhole could be ported ot a GP32.
Here

But I don't think DEv's ever looked at it.