Does The F200 Have A Real Time Clock And A Serial Port?

Hi,

The GP2X really appeals to me and I'm thinking of buying one, but the application I'm thinking of using it in requires that it knows the current time and has a serial port (I don't mind making up a special cable). Does it have a real time clock and serial port?

Thanks,
Curyous

Thanks, that's a bummer about the real time clock. It would have been good to use an open product, if the app, cabling and the pricing turned out OK, it could have meant a few hundred extra sales for the GP2X.

apgunner said:
no real time clock but there is an extension port.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have used the RTC for games and pda like schedule program.

I think we may have different definitions of "real time clock". The GP2X, running linux on an ARM cpu, has all sorts of timing options, plenty sufficient for almost any sort of game. Can you be more specific?

Curyous said:
The GP2X really appeals to me and I'm thinking of buying one, but the application I'm thinking of using it in requires that it knows the current time and has a serial port (I don't mind making up a special cable). Does it have a real time clock and serial port?
Yes, it does. However, it's not battery backed, so it'll lose the time on power-off.

Squidge said:
Curyous said:
Yes, it does. However, it's not battery backed, so it'll lose the time on power-off.

Any possibility to hardware hack to supply it with power?

Well, it's BGA. You could try removing the chip with a BGA rework station and attaching modwire to it, but you'll most likely destroy either the board or chip in the process.

So, the simple answer would be "no".

His application could just ask for the current time when it starts up? The actual clock and timekeeping facilities are just fine, its getting the actual time set that is the problem.

Back