Do I Need A SMC Card Reader?

Gorillazero

Sup?

Do I need a SMC reader to download all this "extra" legal and *cough illegal content. Because I'm getting the feeling that the USB that comes with the Gp32 doesn't download content to the SMC cards themselves. So, plz inform me of this lol. Cuz I'm like shat, what else do i have to buy.

-Matt

it does, and you dont need a reader, but the usb link is kinda slow, so it might be worth it.

I dont have one myself, ive just been using the gp32.

When u buy the gp32 u'll get an usb cable too.
with this u can connect ur gp to pc and with the program pclink u can copy things from pc to gp (and vis versa) and erase things from ur card

so u don't have to buy any aditional things.
(btw a card reader is FASTER than transfering with pclink, but not necessary)

EDIT: TOO SLOW!! :rolleyes:

A CARD READER IS AN ABSOLUTE MUST...!

Well i think so as the bloody usm cable shit is always buggy and crashes and gives me probs in d/l files of greater than 3-4mb.. VERY SLOOOOOOWW.

The best reader is one i got for a "10-12, inc. P+P, It is smaller than a pack of ciggies and has 6in1 feature and the best bit.... Hast the usb cable built in it, so you dont need to carry any stupid cables..!

Great stuff..!

Bought from Ebuyer.com

i think...!

Your feeling that it doesn't download to the SMC is wrong - just try, for example, changing SMCs or trying to send stuff (or even register) without an SMC in. Won't work.

That said, the transfer rate via USB is a bearable 300kbs or thereabouts. But via a cardreader, it goes as high as 3000kbs for as little as £12. And when you're completely emptying and re-filling an SMC, say converting it from a SNES based one to one with tons of DOOM mods, that extra 2700kbs is a must!

i have been transferring via the GP32 itself for 6+ months - a little hassle but it's fine.

I just plunked down $10 at target to get a combo CF/SMC reader (yes, only 10 BUCKS!) so I'll be happily using that from now on (it's faster!)

so point is - not necessary, but so damn cheap that you might as well..!

When i ay a card reader is a must.. you still need the linker cable and stuff to format and install aps.. after that i use acard reader to save and delete files..
When you transferring a 100MB file.. you realise the importance of a card reader...
! :lol:

Another vote for a usb reader, mine cost my USB 2.0 combo card reader cost about £7 from ebuyer takes about 5mins to fill a 128 meg card and just over 2mins to backup 128meg back onto my pc.

Plus its like having an extra drive in windows. So much nicer using drag and dropping in windows explorer rather than using the gp32 file manager. Never use the link software now.

Correct me if i'm wrong as i havent tried it yet but think you don't have to shorten the filename to 8 characters too.

It is possable, but i have always used PC-Link for commercial software (and as GP Cinima is around 300kb, the speed isn't a problem :))

Back