Discussion: An Xbox Live like system for Pandora [split from other topic]

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Topic split from: http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/7686-rebirth-competition-schwerkraft/

Great to have you aboard, Ziz! From the video I assume there's a computer opponent available?
It is. At the moment the computer opponent is sometimes incredible smart and sometimes incredible dumb. I will change the AI after the contest and my holidays. ^^

It is not hard to write a good ai. It is hard to make it winable for a human player. ^^

Hmm... we should really create something like XBox Live system for the Pandora where you can play games like these against other community members :D

Last edited:
Yup, though about it.

Imho, the first step should be a high score board for maybe 4 or 5 native Pandora games.

Doing a live system would be too big for now, we are simply not enough.

Implementing the kaillera client for some emulators could be nice too.

http://www.kaillera.com/

There's already plenty of hardcore gamers on it.

if the pandora-button-supermenu becomes reality, a minimal irc-client inside directing to something like openpandora-lobby could just be enough

Last edited by a moderator:
Great to have you aboard, Ziz! From the video I assume there's a computer opponent available?
It is. At the moment the computer opponent is sometimes incredible smart and sometimes incredible dumb. I will change the AI after the contest and my holidays. ^^

It is not hard to write a good ai. It is hard to make it winable for a human player. ^^

Hmm... we should really create something like XBox Live system for the Pandora where you can play games like these against other community members :D

sounds good to me -- paperwars is getting player-vs-player over network, too. some global statistics would really be awesome.

a project like that was already planned

http://pandorawiki.org/TINXL

And can be considered dead as well, as Butterman (which was the original developer IIRC) is not around any more.

I would love to see such a system come into place or maybe an adoption of an already existing open source solution (if such exists), an open protocol for submitting highscores (and a server), like systems on Newgrounds or Armor Games would already be a great start imo.

Also on behalf of Ziz, who is currently on vacation I would like to request a mod to split posts beginning with ED's one into a new topic as this is pretty focussed off-topic talk which easily deserves an own thread.

I (again) suggest building the system on XMPP. Provides ready message broker server implementations, presence, chat, chat rooms and stuff. The protocol is extensible by design, so we could just have a chat room per game and let the underlying system send special messages to them to query open games and such. Hosting players would answer queries automatically. This would also makes private games visible only to selected contacts. On starting a game, a separate room would be optionally created for in-game chat and data transfer, or the game could just provide the IP address of the hosting player to joining players so the game could handle things with its own protocol. So for non timing critical games the system would provide an easy way to send/receive information.

Not sure but I think I saw a talk at aKademy (when it was here in Tampere) about socket negotiation over XMPP and telepathy.

EDIT: Oh, and high score serving would just be a service agent (a bot) you send stuff to. They could be game specific or server wide.

hum, a serverlist for quake 1,2 & 3 would be great :) like the old gamespy...

Maybe a standalone client which can display some kind on pandora live lobby, with chat and server lists for each game (and highscores) then you could see what others want to play and start the relevant game pnd from there: Perhaps the ability to mark which games you would like to play, at what difficulty - then automatically be attached to one of them when enough players have marked it.

This avoids the problem that of the few thousand Pandora owners, you may be the only one who wants a multiplayer game of *

Again, it's useless to burn time and energy on an oversized project.

Just begin with a small skeleton and a small game the majority of us will play, i don't know, a tetris or whatever.

Include high score, then lobby, then multiplayer, etc..

Of course, i'm not saying "don't discuss", i'm saying "don't burn" ^^.

Yup, XMPP is a great protocol.

It would be great if one day we had an XBox live like system for the Pandora.

A good starting point would be setting up a system of online leaderboards for Pandora Games.

Could this somehow be tied in to the Repo?

I guess what we would need would be a standardised method of uploading and submitting high scores that could be easily implemented by Devs. It would make sense to me if a high score submissions application ran in a similar way to PND store, i.e. scores would only be submitted when the user was online and ran the application. It would also make sense if the login / password used on the repo (or the boards) could also be used for the submission of high scores.

My opinion is that every Pandora should ship with config files, already set up, to connect to a global "Pandora VPN", wherein we have access to our own resources .. maybe a REDIS backend with easy integration with the Pandora system, a shared filesystem, and so on ..

Again, it's useless to burn time and energy on an oversized project.

Just begin with a small skeleton and a small game the majority of us will play, i don't know, a tetris or whatever.

Include high score, then lobby, then multiplayer, etc..

Of course, i'm not saying "don't discuss", i'm saying "don't burn" ^^.

Yup, XMPP is a great protocol.

Bomberman of course...

Good idea.

It's one of the games that requires iron skills, but it's multiplayer.

Yup, though about it.

Imho, the first step should be a high score board for maybe 4 or 5 native Pandora games.

an open source gaming lobby system would be a great thing.

an open-source score board system in open-source games is going to be a complete waste of time.

think about it.

The socket negotiation I remembered was Telepathy Tubes. These would probably work nicely for applications that don't need realtime data (as all data is sent in base64 encoding embedded in XMPP messages).

EDIT: Nope, it uses SOCKS5 TCP sockets if possible. So as long as UDP is not needed, these can work for any application.

Back