DirectX11 support coming to Wine, and More...

ekianjo

Hardcore Member
WHile the original news about DX11 is not from me, I was in touch with James Ramey from Codeweavers and we had a quick chat about a number of different topics such as:

- When DX11 support will land

- Porting to Linux

- Costs of Porting with WINE

- Steam Machines

- New APIs

Have a look if you are interested!

http://boilingsteam.com/codeweavers-on-dx11-in-wine-steam-machines-porting/

surprised you didnt delve into WINE with ARM (QEMU) since that would be the most relevant topic to the majority of your audience.

but the rest of the information was neat, I especially took interest in the porting aspects.

edit: might be my mistake i didnt realize this was a different blog from the pandora one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, although I'm a bit skeptical about seeing dx11 that soon, there doesn't seem to be that much activity in public mailing lists, but maybe they're doing it behind closed doors or something.

The state of their command stream work (aka multithreaded direct3d for those who don't know) also isn't giving much confidence, it's basically stuck in some near-complete state and still isn't merged into mainline wine. Well at least wine-staging project is doing the work of porting it over to each new wine version, so it's still useful.

Another thing about wine people is that's they're too conservative, like not taking gallium nine in (regardless if they fix their code quality issues or not) even when mesa took the driver part. The argument for that is that what nine does could be done using mesa-specific opengl extensions, but there is simply no people to do that work (where have I seen that before?), so why not to take something that works and people would use?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back