Dingoo Review At Pocket Gamer

It's a good and balanced review, it's the first Chinese PMP which deserves some attention imo.

pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Various/Dingoo+A-320/hardware_review.asp?c=12910 is the review url.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just read your review. It was well written and a very good read. I'm looking forward to having my dingoo.

duddyroar

any comment on video playback and TV out playback?

thanks

Good review.

Personally I'm more interested in the Wiz right now. But I think Dingoo could easily eclipse it if they make a "Mark II" version with the following:

- OLED screen (it's the next big thing for handheld screens)
- fix that button combo problem (I forget the buttons, but you know what I mean)
- raise the dpad slightly to enable better diagonals
- add more RAM (at least 64MB)
- do whatever it takes to get the homebrew community interested (I think the above would help) since the built-in emus are clearly not representative of what the Dingoo can probably do in the right hands

Do those things, keep the price under $150, and I think a huge portion of this community would jump onboard.

Then you'd have a killer little device that could potentially beat the Wiz. I don't compare it to Pandora because I consider Pandora to be totally unique.

I wrote a review at 04.13.2009 in russian language here:
CODE
http://habrahabr.ru/blogs/gadgets/57113/

Hope, you like it!
For non-russians here's the google translated page into english:
CODE
http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=hp&hl=ru&js=n&u=http%3A%2F%2Fhabrahabr.ru%2Fblogs%2Fgadgets%2F57113%2F&sl=ru&tl=en

Prophet's got some good points. I especially like that fact that you acknowledge (sp?) that OLED's are the next big thing. This is one reason why I think Wiz is MORE futureproof than many others. I mean, if you bought a computer with a bad CRT back in 2000 or so (whenever it was that people switched) and someone paid a bit more for a TFT one, who was more futureproof in this case?

Slightly faulty comparison. Maybe HD to SD tv would be to your liking then? .. even that is faulty as the pandora has a higher resolution. But maybe you get my point, tech moves on, to thinner and bigger displays and to better color etc.

Now I'm hoping a lot, maybe OLED's aren't that big of a deal, but we'll see.

Orkie posted on May 15 2009 at 03:03 PM said:
The CRT would probably run at what is still considered a reasonable resolution today and have better colours, so...
My roughly 10 year old CRT runs at 2048 x 1536, definitely reasonable.

Titcher posted on May 16 2009 at 01:58 PM said:
The CRT would probably run at what is still considered a reasonable resolution today and have better colours, so...
My roughly 10 year old CRT runs at 2048 x 1536, definitely reasonable.
Dang.

I thought my 1920x1440 was impressive :/

FW900?

Better colours is debatable; every CRT I've ever owned has gone a bit dark after a while.

Bacteria: Have you even bothered to read the review? The emulators installed at the moment are badly coded. Linux has now been ported and you can expect the dedicated emulators to be far better.

The Dingoo has the best gaming interface of any of the currently available 'far-east' portables (including the Wiz) so once the emulators are up to speed it will be a much better option than the GP2X, IMO.

Goity posted on May 18 2009 at 12:59 PM said:
Better colours is debatable; every CRT I've ever owned has gone a bit dark after a while.
Then get out your discharging tool, whip the back off and turn up the brightness (or maybe not if you don't know how to do it)!

Duddyroar posted on May 18 2009 at 01:12 PM said:
Linux has now been ported and you can expect the dedicated emulators to be far better.
Having Linux on it does not mean more 'dedicated emulators' will be written, what it means is more quick builds.

Presumably 'dedicated' meaning one designed specifically for the Dingoo? I can't see there being too many emulators not dedicated to a particular machine.

How easy is installing linux on a dingoo, exactly? I mean it might get a lot of users for the preinstalled stuff, but I doubt installing linux will be done by everyone. And since I'm asking, how easy is installing emulators without the linux install? can you even do it? or is it gp2x easy?

Back