Did I Brick My Unit?

2nice4u

Still Fresh
tried to update firmware to 3.0
release didn't come with any directions
after it said complete nothing else happened so I restarted after a minute
it caught my eye that it still says Firmware V2 at boot
after that it never goes to the menu screen

If its still saying firmware 2.0 then you didnt brick it as the bootloader is intact, you can recover this easily. Just upgrade/downgrade the firmware back to 2.0.0 and all will be good again.

Also dont use firmware 3.0.0 yet as the official version has corrupted files in it and will produce blinking black bars over the menu icons. Go back to 2.0.0 then up to 2.1.0 and 2.1.1 then wait for GPH to fix the corrupted 3.0.0 download if you really want to use it.

Remember to always check for "the buzz" about new firmware here on the boards before ugprading. The wide consensus so far is against 3.0.0, and most users recommend new GP2X buyers flash older firmware.

Yorper said:
If its still saying firmware 2.0 then you didnt brick it as the bootloader is intact, you can recover this easily. Just upgrade/downgrade the firmware back to 2.0.0 and all will be good again.

Also dont use firmware 3.0.0 yet as the official version has corrupted files in it and will produce blinking black bars over the menu icons. Go back to 2.0.0 then up to 2.1.0 and 2.1.1 then wait for GPH to fix the corrupted 3.0.0 download if you really want to use it.
thanks, but how would I go about downgrading it back to 2.0.0 if I can't get to the main screen?

Last edited by a moderator:
2nice4u said:
Yorper said:

thanks, but how would I go about downgrading it back to 2.0.0 if I can't get to the main screen?

• Put the 2.0 FW on an SD card (preferably a freshly-FAT32-formatted card)
• With the card in the'2X, turn on the power while holding start+select
• It should update everything ....

.. make sure you have fully-charged batteries or an AC adapter plugged in.

TelcoLou said:
• Put the 2.0 FW on an SD card (preferably a freshly-FAT32-formatted card)
• With the card in the'2X, turn on the power while holding start+select
• It should update everything ....

.. make sure you have fully-charged batteries or an AC adapter plugged in.

thanks a lot

I am in the same boat
how do i know when it is updating?
all i get after the green screen is nonething ( i am holding down both of the start+select buttons)?

tom_a_sparks said:
I am in the same boat
how do i know when it is updating?
all i get after the green screen is nonething ( i am holding down both of the start+select buttons)?
never mind i got it working

Back