Did Anyone Watch Micro Men?

hackroid

Still Fresh
Website
www.atombat.com
As part of BBC4's Electric Revolution They are showing a one off Retro Computer Drama Special. This light comedy drama is about the start of Acorn (The precursor to ARM, which powers our beloved Pandora and most of the mobiles and other portable devices....etc, in the world...!) started by Chris Curry and Hermann Hauser, and Sinclair Computers by Sir Clive Sinclair in the late 1970s. I know most of you guys who read this forum are retro computing geeks like me, and so it's probably good to see where all this in here started. Maybe one day a similar programme will be made about the small Pandora handheld console and the large gang of Forum fanatics who helped to make this little dream machine happen :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00n5b92

The precursor to ARM, which powers our beloved Pandora and most of the mobiles and other portable devices....etc, in the world...!

lol
Is there a long, long pause between "portable devices" and "in the world !". You weren't making a reference to another BBC were you ? ;)

And no I didn't see it, I am not even in the UK so... :(
Looks like an interesting show though.

Well I missed the first half hour, but I liked what I did see. It's on again at 23:55 tonight, so I'm going to record it. Doesn't look like it will be on iPlayer though.

The Pandora: tiny, rubber keyboard, plugs into a TV... Remind you of anything? :)

I think this needs to be moved!
Sounds interesting, I wish I could see it here in the US.

The Pandora: tiny, rubber keyboard, plugs into a TV... Remind you of anything? :)

Even though the insids are related to Uncle Clives sworn enemy :)

Jourdy288 said:
I wish I could see it here in the US.

Perhaps BBC America will pick it up, if you can recieve it. If not probably Youtube or other methods :)

Last edited by a moderator:
atombat said:

Even though the insids are related to Uncle Clives sworn enemy :)

The Pandora: Sinclair on the outside, Acorn on the inside.

Craig's idea for the Pandora cube (a Pandora without the screen) sounded even more Spectrum like. I reckon that we'll be ok as long as he doesn't grow a beard and start telling us about his plans for an electric car. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
not available in your area DAM* IP Geolocation DBs!

It would never happen :D

pandora c5.png

Would love to see this, but being in Australia I don't think it's likely. Hopefully it will turn up for download somewhere, or even on BBC's site (edit: whaddaya know, it seems to be on there... but not viewable outside of the UK)

It's available HERE Rapidshare links.

If you don't have Rapidshare, then you can still download it faster than normal by simply switching off your pc and modem, then restart to get the next bit.

it was an amazing insight

pity they both did not join up in first place

i did work with some of the oddbods from Acorn when I first started working in electronics - on the original ARM chipset designs

Now I spend my time designing document systems

Oh to be young again

I had a BBC and they really were absolute sex. I learnt to program on that thing... ah BBC Basic... all my mates had an Amiga at this point but I was too poor so made do with the Beeb.

True story: My Alevel computer science teacher dragged one out of storage to teach us assembler/machine code.

Also true story: I was volunteering at a charity last year. Amongst other things they operated a few shops for sellin donated goods. The boss, in some venture completely unrelated to the shops scored an unused science room at a local primary school to do with as he pleased (under the priviso that he cleared the place out). So I come in one day and he's cleared out most of the stuff and stored it at the back of the building - I walk in and can't help but notice the absolute motherload of BBC Micro stuff. Probably about 8 machines, Model B and Master, each one had a monitor too. There were boxes and boxes filled with all sorts of software and perephirals, like tablets, touch-pads, light-pens... stuff I'd never seen before.

I was told I had to ask the boss if I wanted to buy one - he wasn't anywhere around, so I figured I'd ask the next day. I come back the next day... and... he'd already taken everythin to the tip assuming it was worthless.

:eek:

Ooooh! that's a nasty bit of treasure been dumped :(

Watched Micromen last night. Wow! They sexed it up a bit!
Champagne party when they won a contract?!? Where nerds and chicks mixed?!?!?!?
... When there was still code to write! :D

Great clips of Ian MacNaught-Davis (haha! the original I.Mac ;) ) & Fred Harris on The Computer Programme took me back

Back