GP32 Devkitarm9, Please Help!

kidchaos2k6

Still Fresh
Hi to everyone!

I am unable to get a functional working environment for the GP32 with any version of devkitARM (17,18,19,...) combined with any of the available SDK (x_gp32, mirko or the official eabi SDK) available for the GP32..

I don't know how to start... So ill try to get to the current point where i am now... How to compile the livorbis/gptremor library with the latest version of devkitarm?? I want to compare if i can get better sound results compiling with the official SDK rather than with the x_gp32/SDL lib... Compiling with version 18 i always get to the Hardware FP error, but trying with version 19 and the eabi libs its even worse because i get errors in the compiling phase (starting with errors in the same DKArm includes) as follows..

c:\devkitarm\bin\../lib/gcc/arm-eabi/4.1.1/../../../../arm-eabi/include/sys/type
s.h:99: error: duplicate 'unsigned'
c:\devkitarm\bin\../lib/gcc/arm-eabi/4.1.1/../../../../arm-eabi/include/sys/type
s.h:99: error: duplicate 'short'
s.h:99: error: declaration does not declare anything
gpmain.c: In function 'void PlaylistEntry(GPDRAWSURFACE*, entry_t*, int, char, c
har)':
gpmain.c:146: error: invalid conversion from 'char*' to 'const unsigned char*'
gpmain.c:146: error: initializing argument 4 of 'void SOMFontFastString(GPDRAW
SURFACE*, int, int, const unsigned char*, const unsigned char*, unsigned char, u
nsigned char)'

... and etcetera

I cant get to the point (are there errors compiling the the same includes of the kit???)... Maybe i dont read all the docs correctly (are there any docs?) but i try to follow the steps as explained in the threads and always smash with some new or previous problem.... If I cant get any working result im going to get crazy, or worse (maybe dumping everything and forget about programming for the GP)...

Please, this is a plea/cry to the community, any help please!!!

Download devkitProUpdater from http://www.gp32x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,1,2,0,14,740

Save the devkitProUpdater-1.0.4.exe file in an empty folder on your desktop. This way, all the downloaded files will be in a manageable location in case you want to upgrade in the future.

Run the devkitProUpdater-1.0.4.exe file and you will be notified that there is a newer version of devkitProUpdater available. Click YES to upgrade.

The new version will be downloaded into the same folder, and when the download is complete, you will be asked if you want to run the new version. Click YES.

Proceed through the install by clicking NEXT > until you get to the component selection screen. Select devkitARM as the install type. Selecting Full would install additional components for developing on GameCube and PSP.

Unless you have a good reason for not installing in the default location, leave it as C:\devkitPro.

Continue clicking Next> until the downloads begin. Be patient. This step will take several minutes, even on a broadband connection.

Sometimes, the installation download may hang. In that case, you can cancel the install, delete the partial download, and re-run. The updater will continue where it lesft off.

If on the other hand, the installer fails AFTER a file download, you can simply continue without deleting. This was the case for me. I had to re-start several times, but in the end, everything installed fine.

Once the install is complete, open a command prompt. Using the Start>Run>cmd command.

C:\Documents and Settings> cd C:\devkitPro\examples\gp32\libmirko\mandel
C:\devkitPro\examples\gp32\libmirko\mandel> make
built ... mandel.bin

b2fxeC v0.6a-pre2 - © 2002-4 Jouni 'Mr.Spiv' Korhonen

Crunched 38.8% - total 5404 bytes
built ... mandel.fxe
rm /c/devkitPro/examples/gp32/libmirko/mandel/mandel.bin

C:\devkitPro\examples\gp32\libmirko\mandel>

If everything went ok, you will see a file called mandel.fxe. This is a GP32 executable, and should run on the GP32 or emulator.

This excersise only gets you half way. You now have a proven good dev environment.

The problem with many of the source files you will download is that the original developer probably had a few customizations that are not immediately evident.

For example, I downloaded SvOrbis, extracted it into the examples directory, and tried to compile it. The compile failed, because the devkitPro environment does not fit with what the Makefile is expecting. If you look in the Makefile.config file, the GP32BASE env var is set to /opt/GP32 (or something like that).

This is an indicator that the source developer is using a linux system as his development platform.

Secondly, the CROSS env var is set to arm-elf-. This needs to be arm-eabi- to make it devkitPro compatible.

Farther down, the LDFLAGS env var points to a library that is not installed: djwSDK
The same is true for CFLAGS env var.

Since I've been out of the scene for a while, I can't recall what the djwSDK is, but I do know that you will need it to properly complile SvOrbis.

Let me know where I can get the package you are tring to complie, and I'll have a look.

Hope this helps.

jcabrer,

Thanks for the guideline... I usually download the devkitARM by myself, but i will let the installer to do this way...

Right now i have been for almost a year working with these environment but, As you said, the troubles are between the environment and source code which was compiled in self-made environments. In the case of SvVorbis, "djWSDK" means :p DJWillis :p ;).... There is a recent thread around, where he posted the GP32SDK EABI libs... If you can't find send me a PM with your email...

Briefly, the main trouble im having is that i dont want to use the GPSDK, but rather for a matter of portability i want to use chui's SDL port for the gp32, ... And port some SDL projects/emulators for the GP...

Well thanks anyway and i will appreciatte anymore ideas

Regards

@B^)>

Hi,

I tested the mandel sample: Doesnt work on the emulator but does run on the real hardware... I think I had the patch to override these problems between the mirko lib and the geepee... Somewhere in my HD :ph34r: I presume i will have to recompile the libs by myself... But this is close to start working from scratch again...

Ill continue later with this testing...

Regards!!

Geepee does need a tweak as I recall.

I haven't had much time to try and compile since I got set up due to loosing my GP32 on a flight back from Chicago, but luckily, an honest soul found it and was kind enough to return it.

It pays to write your address on the battery cover. I'm just glad the chose not to turn it in to the airlines. It would be gone for sure.

Anyway, I'll have time at work to look at your problem this week.

Ciao!

Here's what I've done so far:

Installed devkitPro latest version.

FYI: Official GPSDK cannot be added to devkitPro as it contains confliting, incompatible files. This is an important issue to consider if you are using the pre-compiled SDL libs. I managed to get past most of the compile errors, but in the end I just got this:

c:/devkitpro/devkitarm/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-eabi/4.1.1/../../../../arm-eabi/bin/ld
.exe: failed to merge target specific data of file c:/devkitpro/devkitarm/bin/..
/lib/gcc/arm-eabi/4.1.1/../../../../arm-eabi/lib\libgpstdio.a(smf_conf.o)
c:/devkitpro/devkitarm/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-eabi/4.1.1/../../../../arm-eabi/bin/ld
.exe: error: no memory region specified for loadable section `.ARM.extab'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [sdltest.elf] Error 1

I'll try and compile the SDL stuff from source.

Hi!

Thanks everybody for the reply...

As stated, there are problems between the GP-SDK and devkitARM under windows... And i cant manage to go on with it :unsure: ... Im trying to setup the devkitARM under linux and see if the same things happen but i didnt have the time these days :eek:, im a bit tired!!

Anyway i will appreciate any support,

Regards to all!

jcabrer posted on Dec 5 2006 at 11:38 PM said:
FYI: Official GPSDK cannot be added to devkitPro as it contains confliting, incompatible files. This is an important issue to consider if you are using the pre-compiled SDL libs. I managed to get past most of the compile errors, but in the end I just got this:

DJWillis posted EABI compatible GPSDK and it compiles and works fine after a minor change to the makefile (Yakumo mentions the fix at the bottom of the thread):

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=32302

Last edited by a moderator:
Back