Deus Ex and the Pyra

monty

(This didn't seem like a fit for the "Pyra Community Ideas" board, but feel tree to move it if needs be.)

I've seen the specs for the Pyra. All very good, seemingly. I have a few questions about it that I hope the community should be able to answer.

Firstly, what are the chances of the original Deux Ex working? I appreciate it would probably need an x86 emulator running Windows 95/98. Here are its requirements: http://www.allgame.com/game.php?id=20099&tab=sysreqs

Secondly, I can't find a maximum resolution for the HDMI output for that SoC. Does anyone have it to hand?

[EDIT: Thirdly, how will the default OS deal with the ultra-high resolution on such a small display? I've never used a version of Linux that was resolution neutral. But then I'm not that experienced.]

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
It's probably premature to say for certain what it'd behave like with Deus Ex. In terms of processing power there's good reason to believe there shouldn't be an issue. Wine does appear to offer support so the Wine/Qemu approach could work, and from what I understand currently has a better record then the DOSBOX/Win9x approach with such things.  Controls however might need to be tweaked given Deus Ex has a rather complex control scheme.

In terms of the desktop environment usability at that PPI it wouldn't surprise me if some degree of DE tweaking was called for, but I don't think it'd really be that big an issue. I know KDE allows you to globally adjust the pixel scaling of the fonts, and it shouldn't be too big a pain to tweak the other config files I'd expect to be applicable.  Honestly though based on my Pandora unit there is some room to go with an even smaller font, and I can utilize the dense font such a disply offers on my Nexus 7 so I don't think it'll be _that_ much of an issue, although again the DEs already have infrastructure to easily tweak things.

Also, in the likely launch time frame I expect X.org will be on its way out and Wayland based compositors will be becoming the standard in GNU/Linux space which from what I understand would make the adjustments much easier and basically make the compositor more self aware of such things.  Debian stable version of Jessie might even have do so which should make life much simpler in that regards due to getting away from some of the related constraints of the X Server, even if it doesn't Debian unstable should be setup that way by early 2015 given all the major DEs are making the shift over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back