Debugging on embedded devices

rohezal

Advanced Member
Hi guys,

I have a general question about linux handheld. Since this is the most active community I want to ask it here.

I have written some simple software for the caanoo in qt. I have compiled qt for the caanoo, copied over the example which were builded with qt. The example worked without problems. My program loads but suddenly goes back to the menu.

I don't have a console. How do I debug best? Via ssh and read? Or with buildin console tools if they are avaible? Or is there an other way?

On Pandora, I have dropbear set to run by default, so from my PC I can SSH into the device, from there I navigate to my binary, and run it under GDB by typing 'gdb myexecutable' GDB then proceeds to load, and 'run' starts the program, when it crashes it normally says where, and 'bt' gives a further back trace of the stack. I'm no expert with GDB, but I find Google answers the questions I've had so far, with setting break points etc. I had a small issue to start off with, that my executables are stripped, but I just make sure I have a non stripped, preferably unoptimized executable, to debug with.

Steve

Back