Debug Help

No need for the usb serial stuff if you have upgraded to firmware/kernel 2.0. You can just enable the networking and telnet into the gp2x :)

Full instructions are on these very forums. It basically gives the gp2x it's own ip address so you can do telnet/ftp/web/etc.

Blah: Yes, you can do serial through the usb cable, there's a driver for it, but it's no longer needed on firmware 2.0 due to it supporting full networking.

Does it happen on the PC version (if you have one)? If not, check your filenames if they are in the correct case. Linux is case sensitive.

Hah, just reliased I forgot to include the ttf font I was using, and it works :D

Cheers for all your help guys!

Though any idea why the binary is nearly 3mb?! I'm guessing that's the SDL overheads but compared to other binaries it's huge!

i'm not sure if it's use is frowned upon (there's a nagging at the back of my head and i need to check it for my own purposes) but RLYEH has a .gpe compressor over on his site here if the size is really worrying you

Mine is about 2.7mb. The compressor does take the size down nicely but takes an age to uncompress on the GP2X to run :(.

Have you stripped the executable?

Also, a segmentation fault means your program is doing something very wrong. If it just a ttf font missing, then it seems that you arn't bothering to check return codes of some functions, and really should do.

Squidge posted on Aug 9 2006 at 11:42 AM said:
Have you stripped the executable?

Also, a segmentation fault means your program is doing something very wrong. If it just a ttf font missing, then it seems that you arn't bothering to check return codes of some functions, and really should do.

Yes, "assert" is your friend.

Last edited by a moderator:
A Little Aside:

Squidge posted on Aug 8 2006 at 04:31 PM said:
No need for the usb serial stuff if you have upgraded to firmware/kernel 2.0. You can just enable the networking and telnet into the gp2x :)

Full instructions are on these very forums. It basically gives the gp2x it's own ip address so you can do telnet/ftp/web/etc.

Blah: Yes, you can do serial through the usb cable, there's a driver for it, but it's no longer needed on firmware 2.0 due to it supporting full networking.

If anybody still can't telnet, samba, websurf into their precious gp2x in Windows, http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Tcp/ip_over_usb got me going.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back