Dcastaway For Wiz

marzsyndrome

Still Fresh
This is something I've been thinking about for a while.

As much as OutCaST is playable and all, I don't like how 'unfinished' it still feels in parts (missing options etc) and also how everytime I go to the menu the sound 'sticks' on whatever note from the game is playing at the time. Oh, and it doesn't show Pang in proper fullscreen. :p

I read in an old thread that a potential Hatari port would be very slow on the Wiz, so I'd reckon a port of DCaSTaway might be the next best thing. :) There's a port for Dingoo and all but I'm unsure as to whether I'd want to shell out for a £50 handheld just for ST emulation. And a Pandora is still far away from my grasp!

Anyways, is this something that's likely to happen any time in the (near) future, or have most people moved on from the Wiz now?

No idea about DCaSTaway, but have you tried using OutcaST-gp2x with Ginge? Works a lot better (and i do mean A LOT).....

I may pick up outcast again for a few fixups (for caanoo and wiz), so we'll see; the gp2x one was pretty tops though :)

Hatari woudl likely be much slower, I may try; a big problem there too is Hatari includes its own full UI, which is much larger than the screen realestate, so it'd need a lot of tweaking there.

jeff

skeezix said:
I may pick up outcast again for a few fixups (for caanoo and wiz), so we'll see; the gp2x one was pretty tops though :)

Hatari woudl likely be much slower, I may try; a big problem there too is Hatari includes its own full UI, which is much larger than the screen realestate, so it'd need a lot of tweaking there.

jeff
What is so much better about Outcast on the GP2X that makes it so much better than the Wiz port? Seems about the same to me, from the last time I tried it on my GP2X. I haven't tried it through Ginge, but what makes the gp2x version better?

EDIT: Ok, I got off my lazy ass and tried it in Ginge. The sound emulation is tons better from what I can tell. I tried Gods. Outcast has never liked the digital audio, but it's better than the Wiz version that's for sure. Compatability seems the same. As long as games don't have the crazy ass long TOSEC file names they will load fine.

BTW skeezix, thanks for being the only one to give us some ST love. Some games to me are just better on the ST than the Amiga. Note I said "some" Thanks again! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
They're the same codebase, more or less; theres some goofy timing oddities in the menu operation and perhaps some minor things different in internal stuff, but they should be very close at the actual emulation level.

Sound .. hmm, strange that that would be a casualty, but I'll have to look into it.

As long as I'm around, the ST will always live on :) Theres also cpasjuste and some other ST nerds around thankfully :)

jeff

Well i found the native version less reliable than the gp2x-on-ginge one; the menu was litterally impossible to use ('cause of the timing) and sound had a lot of distortion..........

Back