Cross Compile Libxml++

ryosaeba

Certified Guru
Website
mtorromeo.github.com
Hi,
my gp2x is back to me and I'm working on something new, but I'm stuck trying to cross compile libxml++ for the gp2x.
I already cross compiled other libraries without too much problems but I can't solve this.

libxml++ is a c++ wrapper around the libxml2 library (which is already present in my ooPo toolkit).
I edited config.sub adding this:
Code:
gp2x)
basic_machine=arm-gp2x
os=-linux-gnu
;;

I exported this env variables:
Code:
CC='gp2x-gcc -O3 -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer -mcpu=arm920t -I/usr/local/gp2xdev/include -I/usr/local/gp2xdev/include/libxml2 -L/usr/local/gp2xdev/lib'
CXX='gp2x-g++ -O3 -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer -mcpu=arm920t -I/usr/local/gp2xdev/include -I/usr/local/gp2xdev/include/libxml2 -L/usr/local/gp2xdev/lib'
CFLAGS='-O3 -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer -mcpu=arm920t -I/usr/local/gp2xdev/include -I/usr/local/gp2xdev/include/libxml2'
LDFLAGS='-L/usr/local/gp2xdev/lib'
LD_LIBRARY_PATH='/usr/local/gp2xdev/lib'
PKG_CONFIG_PATH='/usr/local/gp2xdev/lib/pkgconfig'

And then I run
Code:
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/gp2xdev --host=gp2x --libdir=/usr/local/gp2xdev/lib --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --enable-static --enable-shared
make

The compilation goes well till this point
Code:
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/ryo/development/libxml++-1.0.5/libxml++'
/bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CXX --mode=link gp2x-g++ -O3 -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer -mcpu=arm920t -I/usr/local/gp2xdev/include -I/usr/local/gp2xdev/include/libxml2 -L/usr/local/gp2xdev/lib  -g -O2  -L/usr/local/gp2xdev/lib -o libxml++-1.0.la -rpath /usr/local/gp2xdev/lib -version-info 1:4:0 attribute.lo dtd.lo document.lo noncopyable.lo keepblanks.lo	parsers/libparsers.la exceptions/libexceptions.la nodes/libnodes.la io/libio.la -L/usr/local/gp2xdev/lib -lxml2 -lz -lm
gp2x-g++ -O3 -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer -mcpu=arm920t -I/usr/local/gp2xdev/include -I/usr/local/gp2xdev/include/libxml2 -L/usr/local/gp2xdev/lib -shared -nostdlib /usr/local/gp2xdev/lib/gcc/gp2x/4.0.2/../../../../gp2x/lib/crti.o /usr/local/gp2xdev/lib/gcc/gp2x/4.0.2/crtbeginS.o  .libs/attribute.o .libs/dtd.o .libs/document.o .libs/noncopyable.o .libs/keepblanks.o -Wl,--whole-archive parsers/.libs/libparsers.a exceptions/.libs/libexceptions.a nodes/.libs/libnodes.a io/.libs/libio.a /usr/local/gp2xdev/gp2x/lib/libstdc++.a -Wl,--no-whole-archive  -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/gp2xdev/lib -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/gp2xdev/lib -L/usr/local/gp2xdev/lib -L/home/ryo/development/gp2xdev/toolchain/gcc-4.0.2/build-gp2x-c++/gp2x/libstdc++-v3/src -L/home/ryo/development/gp2xdev/toolchain/gcc-4.0.2/build-gp2x-c++/gp2x/libstdc++-v3/src/.libs -L/home/ryo/development/gp2xdev/toolchain/gcc-4.0.2/build-gp2x-c++/gcc -L/usr/local/gp2xdev/gp2x/bin -L/usr/local/gp2xdev/gp2x/lib /usr/local/gp2xdev/lib/libxml2.so -lz -L/usr/local/gp2xdev/lib/gcc/gp2x/4.0.2 -L/usr/local/gp2xdev/lib/gcc/gp2x/4.0.2/../../../../gp2x/lib -lm -lc -lgcc /usr/local/gp2xdev/lib/gcc/gp2x/4.0.2/crtendS.o /usr/local/gp2xdev/lib/gcc/gp2x/4.0.2/../../../../gp2x/lib/crtn.o  -mcpu=arm920t -Wl,-soname -Wl,libxml++-1.0.so.1 -o .libs/libxml++-1.0.so.1.0.4
exceptions/.libs/libexceptions.a(locale_facets.o):../../../../libstdc++-v3/src/locale_facets.cc:65: multiple definition of `std::__num_base::_S_atoms_out'
parsers/.libs/libparsers.a(locale_facets.o):../../../../libstdc++-v3/src/locale_facets.cc:65: first defined here
exceptions/.libs/libexceptions.a(locale_facets.o):(.data._ZNSt10__num_base11_S_atoms_inE+0x0): multiple definition of `std::__num_base::_S_atoms_in'
parsers/.libs/libparsers.a(locale_facets.o):(.data._ZNSt10__num_base11_S_atoms_inE+0x0): first defined here
exceptions/.libs/libexceptions.a(locale_facets.o):(.data._ZNSt10money_base8_S_atomsE+0x0): multiple definition of `std::money_base::_S_atoms'
parsers/.libs/libparsers.a(locale_facets.o):(.data._ZNSt10money_base8_S_atomsE+0x0): first defined here
a lot of other errors

I'm trying to compile version 1.0.5 'cause it doesn't have the dependecy on glibmm, present in versions 2.x

Any help is really appreciated, a precompiled version of the library could do too.

Code:
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/gp2xdev --host=gp2x --libdir=/usr/local/gp2xdev/lib --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --enable-static --enable-shared
make
I don't know anything about that library, but what are you trying to achieve by doing both --enable-static and --enable-shared? Building both .a and .so libraries?

If gp2xdev is based on gcc 3.x.x, I guess --enable-shared should do be enough. Give it a try, even I don't think it will solve your problem.
Then try --enable-static alone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know anything about that library, but what are you trying to achieve by doing both --enable-static and --enable-shared? Building both .a and .so libraries?
Exactly.

If gp2xdev is based on gcc 3.x.x, I guess --enable-shared should do be enough. Give it a try, even I don't think it will solve your problem.
Then try --enable-static alone.
I need static the most (gcc 4.x), I tried configuring only for static/shared but I get the same error.

I then tried editing the gcc command that produces the error to find the problem and I located it in
"-Wl,--whole-archive", removing this flag solves the error. So I edited the configure script removing this flag from everywhere (I couldn't find another way) and restarted compiling. I managed this way to get over the last error and I have a compiled libxml++-1.0.so.1.0.4 but I get this other error and I can't understand why...

gp2x-g++ -shared -nostdlib /usr/local/gp2xdev/lib/gcc/gp2x/4.0.2/../../../../gp2x/lib/crti.o /usr/local/gp2xdev/lib/gcc/gp2x/4.0.2/crtbeginS.o .libs/attribute.o .libs/dtd.o .libs/document.o .libs/noncopyable.o .libs/keepblanks.o -Wl, parsers/.libs/libparsers.a exceptions/.libs/libexceptions.a nodes/.libs/libnodes.a io/.libs/libio.a /usr/local/gp2xdev/gp2x/lib/libstdc++.a -Wl,--no-whole-archive -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/lib64 -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/lib64 -L/home/ryo/development/gp2xdev/toolchain/gcc-4.0.2/build-gp2x-c++/gp2x/libstdc++-v3/src -L/home/ryo/development/gp2xdev/toolchain/gcc-4.0.2/build-gp2x-c++/gp2x/libstdc++-v3/src/.libs -L/home/ryo/development/gp2xdev/toolchain/gcc-4.0.2/build-gp2x-c++/gcc -L/usr/local/gp2xdev/gp2x/bin -L/usr/local/gp2xdev/gp2x/lib /usr/lib64/libxml2.so -L/usr/local/gp2xdev/lib/gcc/gp2x/4.0.2 -L/usr/local/gp2xdev/lib/gcc/gp2x/4.0.2/../../../../gp2x/lib -lm -lc -lgcc /usr/local/gp2xdev/lib/gcc/gp2x/4.0.2/crtendS.o /usr/local/gp2xdev/lib/gcc/gp2x/4.0.2/../../../../gp2x/lib/crtn.o -Wl,-soname -Wl,libxml++-1.0.so.1 -o .libs/libxml++-1.0.so.1.0.4
/usr/local/gp2xdev/lib/gcc/gp2x/4.0.2/../../../../gp2x/bin/ld: : No such file: No such file or directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

The strange thing is that, that same filename is valid and I specified "gp2x-ld" in libtool...

/usr/local/gp2xdev/lib/gcc/gp2x/4.0.2/../../../../gp2x/bin/ld: : No such file: No such file or directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

The strange thing is that, that same filename is valid and I specified "gp2x-ld" in libtool...
This reduces to /usr/local/gp2xdev/gp2x/bin/ld which looks valid.
My install of gp2xdev has this:
Code:
-rwxr-xr-x 2 laurent laurent 3054915 Dec 26 14:18 gp2x/bin/ld
-rwxr-xr-x 2 laurent laurent 3054915 Dec 26 14:18 bin/gp2x-ld
Of course both files are the same (hard link). So the file looks fine to me.

Did you happen to rename files in your gp2x/bin directory? That'd be bad :)

No. As I stated above, the file exists, for some reason the compilation script thinks it doesn't...

Here the proof:
Code:
$> /usr/local/gp2xdev/lib/gcc/gp2x/4.0.2/../../../../gp2x/bin/ld -v
GNU ld version 2.16.1

Edit
Now that I look better at the message, it's not saying that ld doesn't exist. It's saying that ld is searching for a file that doesn't exist, and the file it's searching for is named ' for some reason.
This could be due to my crazy cutting in the configuration script, but I only removed "-Wl,--whole-archive" flags.

I know where to look now though...

I managed to build the library with a dirty hack...

I replaced "ld" with this script:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
exec /usr/local/gp2xdev/gp2x/bin/ld.bak ${*//--whole-archive/--no-whole-archive}

But the final library is incomplete (as I suspected) and so useless...

I need to understand what's really causing the problem (this hack skips the problem, doesn't solve it) but I already tired everything I could think of.

What I'm asking now is for a kind soul to compile this library for me (maybe using a different toolchain this problem won't arise)...
My toolchain is based on gcc-4.0.2 and is built with --with-float=soft
Anyone?

Any version from the 1.x tree should do (1.0.5 is the latest I think). I need the static version of the library the most but if you could compile both versions it would be better.

W007! I did it!

I added a bunch of flags to the configure script matching some of the flags I used for my toolchain and apparently one of them did the trick...

For the curious I added --disable-libstdcxx-pch --disable-multilib --disable-nls

Now on to the next problem...

@Gary Miller: thanks anyway!

Back