Creative Hinge Solutions... ?

andyhamer

I'm hopefully due to receive my unit sometime this coming week (1 October 2008 20:33 1200-1300) not too keen on the closed or fully open "options" of the hinge though, and wanted to cobble together some kind of heath robinson solution that doesn't involve major cosmetic surgery, it seems to me that about 120 degrees would be the optimum veiwing angle.

Has anyone done anything like this?, if so could they possibly give a brief guide & post some images.

Thanks for listening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunny's solution here is simple and elegant:

[edit] Bear in mind that hinge friction does seem to vary between units. Both units I've tried have been perfectly solid at any angle.

[edit] Bear in mind that hinge friction does seem to vary between units. Both units I've tried have been perfectly solid at any angle.

Which I would guess means it's possible to fix it after you receive the unit. It'd probably require a good bit of disassembly, though.

I think it may come from minute variations in the moulding and/or painting. If that's the case I don't imagine there are any internal adjustments you can make, except to add more friction somehow.

Another idea I had is a very fine circlip (pictured), inserted in the gap between the lid and body (so it would slide in vertically, wrapping around the hinge axis, if you know what I mean). No idea if it's really a good idea or not, AFAIK nobody has tried it.

bjdSp.jpg

(I honestly think Dunny's solution is the best & safest though.)

I had the same concern, but the angle it locks open at is perfect - for me at least. I'm lucky in that mine stays at whichever angle I put it, but this is really only useful when I have it on a table in front of me.

If you did want it to stay, Dunny's solution looks good.

I'm another owner that is happy with the current hinge stiffness.

Wait and see till you get your unit, you might have nothing to worry about.

+1. Mine is fine at any angle, I use it usually at around 120. But actually I found that when you hold it in your hands, 180 is really good, due to the (small) form factor of the Pandora.

my pandora's hinge is extremely floppy, can't stay in any other angle than 180

but i think there could be a very simple fix, to allow different clicking angles requiring nothing more than a file, a little spring, and some glue :D

2 steps:

1: create some flats (slightly concave should be best) on the hinge to give it a kind of hexagonal shape

2: insert the little spring between the hinge and the pandora

and there you go, as many angles as you like and you didn't even need a screwdriver :p

(such concept could be directly applied to the case's molds with a simple bump on the horizontal part of the case, if you rely on the plastic's elasticity like you do to keep the stylus in place... )

Back