Cracked Screen Repair

darkwolf

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Right then, I had the GP2X f-200 for a bit more then 2 weeks now, had it with me while travelling all over europe during the past 2 weeks, but when passing london security checks on my way home it happened, the screen has a nice crack now.
Annoying since I really took care that nothing happens to it and then that. Sadly enough I didn't realise until way after when I was in the plane that it didn't survive the security checks, so I can't really blame it on them. (there still is the possibility that it was me who broke it, but i doubt that, because I always had it in my hand luggage with my digicam and all other valuable electronics I carry around, naturally u are really careful with those)

Anyways, enough talk, now the questions:
- Is it possible to order a replacement screen and repair it yourself? (I have the tools and only one left hand, the other knows what its doing)
- Since guarantee won't cover that, does any of u know what that might cost if I send it in? And how long it takes?
- Why for heavens sake is the front screen made from glass? Why not use plastic? can't really see why.

So, enough of me now, back to work...
i hope i can get this thing fixed soon so i can start doing some development on it...

cheers

Its an f200 bacteria, so if he does that, he will lose his touch screen.

My guess would be contact your local supplier and ask them. Although if you do not mind not having a touch screen, the above will work :)

Is it the screen or the touch screen that is cracked.

The F200's use the same screens as the MK2's so the screen swap is a very easy task if you can get the spares. I may have a screen somewhere to repair it with (I really should be fixing a GP2X for myself mind you). It would not be the 1st F200 with a broken screen but working touch screen I have seen.

yodaofborg said:
Its an f200 bacteria, so if he does that, he will lose his touch screen.

My guess would be contact your local supplier and ask them. Although if you do not mind not having a touch screen, the above will work :)
Ah yes, I didn't see it was an f200!

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm, the touch screen capability definitely doesn't work anymore. he sometimes recognizes a touch but the coordinates of that "touch" are totally screwed.

Is it the screen or the touch screen that is cracked.

difficult to say, i haven't taken it apart yet, because the screws of that thing are quite a bitch to move. and i wasn't sure if i should just send the whole thing in or oder a replacement screen.
i guess it is the touch screen that is cracked however, because the screen itself below is in perfect order, the image is still ok.

infront of the glass touch screen there seems to be a thin plastic protective screen. below that is the touch screen i guess, the one that is cracked.

oh and i actually would mind loosing the touch capability because i like playing the old adventure classics on that thing. also it sounds tempting to develop some little games using the touch capability.

hmm, having said that, just ordering a replacement or sending the whole thing in? hrm... gotta decide...

Back