Could you play half-life 1 on the Pandora?

There has been a non steam version of half life 1 released before.
The non-steam version is the Windows version which leads us back to needing full QEMU+Wine+OGL emulation.
If we could run the Linux version without Steam we'd only need QEMU for user mode emulation and pass through most of the library calls.
I've seen this stated several times but never seen an actual proof of it working.

I have a Linux compiled binary of Neverwinter Nights.  I'd give a $25 bounty to the first person who can tell me, specifically with settings and examples, how to run it on my Pandora.

Ah saw it too late.

Ok i will reinstall this Evening my Slackware+Wine Image and will it try with Neverwinter Nights.

;)

Ah saw it too late.

Ok i will reinstall this Evening my Slackware+Wine Image and will it try with Neverwinter Nights.

;)
No need for Wine for Neverwinter Nights if WizardStan is correct.  Although I've yet to see any instance of QEMU working the way he described.

If you want to play NWN on a Linux X86 computer WITHOUT USING WINE:

http://ldots.org/nwn

http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Linux/Installation

There are lots of instructions out there for doing this part of it on X86.

No need for Wine for Neverwinter Nights if WizardStan is correct.  Although I've yet to see any instance of QEMU working the way he described.
I did a decent amount of work on this (usable WINE-free user-mode QEMU for games). You can see some of it in my WINE forum thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
No need for Wine for Neverwinter Nights if WizardStan is correct. Although I've yet to see any instance of QEMU working the way he described.
I did a decent amount of work on this (usable WINE-free user-mode QEMU for games). You can see some of it in my WINE forum thread.
And that latest Wineroot from you is installed in my Image.
You delivered Qemu-i386 inside your latest Wineroot,right?

Or habe you newer Versions for us?Have i passed something important?

I will try it this Evening ;)

Btw,need Neverwinter Nights 3D?

Or work it with 2D either?

I will recompile the latest Glshim this Evening too.

Or have you latest precompiled ones LB?

Yeah linuxbochs did some nice work... I almost had steam linux running. It's just not a user friendly PND yet.
Can I bug one of you for a link to the work that's been done?

Not knowing how much work it would take to bring Half Life to the pandora, but it would be an amazing feat! Thats one game that would just fall perfect with the controls available, hoping that someone (far better than me:)) is able to bring this about.

Summary for now:

The Windows Version is to slow because WineX86 need too much Ressources for now on the Pandora.

The Dreamcast Version is based on WindowsCE and that is not supportet by the Dreamcast Emulator now.

The PSP HalfLife Version is a reprogrammed Quake with HalfLife Textures(so not real Half Life)

Are there more Halflifeversions what we can try now?

In the Moment is it not realy playable what we tried.

Maybe Notaz can make some Hacks like his StarCraft PND and use Software Rendering in HalfLife. ;)

I really hesitate to point this out, but there may be a theoretical way to port half-life and half-life 2 to the pandora. You may remember, back in 2003 a year before hl2 was released the entire source code of half-life 2 and a playable version were leaked. While the code was leaked an entire year before hl2 came out, the engine was mostly finished at that point. However, the leaked source engine was fairly buggy but fortunately there's a fixed version called The Axel Project thats quite stable. Of course, the Source engine at this point in time only had a DirectX render. However, since Valve released ToGL, it may be possible to compile the leaked hl2 source code for the Pandora. Along with the leaked hl2, there was a version of half-life: source leaked too. Since the source code is so old for both of these, it would be necessary to convert all the retail models and maps to older file format versions in order to use them.

DISCLAIMER: All of this is just theories and speculation. Actually porting hl & hl2 with the leaked source code should not be done. Valve has not given their permission for any one to use the leaked code, and thus using it is illegal.

Another Idea:

Maybe we can use Winelib (WineArm) For running the Dreamcast WindowsCE Halflife Executable.

Same for Age of Empires Windows CE Arm Version.

:)

WindowsCE is not Windows (desktop)

To the best of my knowledge, Winelib is for Windows desktop and has nothing to contribute to Windows CE porting.

WindowsCE is not Windows (desktop)

To the best of my knowledge, Winelib is for Windows desktop and has nothing to contribute to Windows CE porting.
That is right,but when you compile Wine on a ARM Machine like Pandora will it run with little Luck some ARM Windows Software.

Windows CE/Mobile is mostly ARM Based and i see chances to run WindowsCe/WindowsMobile Software for the Pandora ^_^

I never tried it yet ^_^

When not can we theroretly emulate with Qemu a WindowsCE Image.

Tried a bit with Qemu bit never got it running.

Found no WindowsMobile Image for Qemu for testing Things,only some complicated Howtows.

Just some Ideas for maybe getting Dreamcast HalflifeCE run on the Pandora,because this Halflife is ARM based :D

will it run with little Luck some ARM Windows Software
No. Windows CE is not Windows desktop. The calls are completely different. They share the name "Windows" but at the implementation level they haven't got that much in common.

and I suspect it would be easier to work on Xash3D rather than windows CE dreamcast version...

I have no idea if that one is possible to port but at the moment it seems to be our best chance assuming valve doesn't opensource their engine...

edit: just took a look at Xash3D... it seems the only binary blob it require is vgui.dll... I wonder how hard that would be to replace...

edit2: hum vgui seems to be quite a big blobl, I wonder what is the minimum implementation from it that is required to be able to run HL (without gui menu and such obviously...)

and I suspect it would be easier to work on Xash3D rather than windows CE dreamcast version...

I have no idea if that one is possible to port but at the moment it seems to be our best chance assuming valve doesn't opensource their engine...

edit: just took a look at Xash3D... it seems the only binary blob it require is vgui.dll... I wonder how hard that would be to replace...

edit2: hum vgui seems to be quite a big blobl, I wonder what is the minimum implementation from it that is required to be able to run HL (without gui menu and such obviously...)
Yep, Xash3D is our best bet, but still a huge work, and need to use Notaz's ia32tools for the binary blob.

or replace that singly vgui blob with something else? it's quite a big blob but I wonder how much of the function we can left empty to just have a basic version, menu and hudless running...

edit: in the link I provided in page1 in the folder "source code\utils\vgui\include" of the archive you have all the headers for the vgui.dll I guess one could easily provide empty method for all theses calls... but there's probably some needed things and of course most is needed to get the proper HL GUI/menu and such...

Back