Could Rdesktop Be Ported (remote Access To Windows Pc)

elcorazon2

Still Fresh
http://www.rdesktop.org/#docs

"rdesktop is an open source client for Windows Terminal Services, capable of natively speaking Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) in order to present the user's Windows desktop. Supported servers include Windows 2000 Server, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows NT Server 4.0. rdesktop currently runs on most UNIX based platforms with the X Window System, and other ports should be fairly straightforward"

Would this be a runner on Pandora? being able to work off my desktop machine on the pandora would be incredibly useful!!!

K

tinman2 said:
http://www.rdesktop.org/#docs

"rdesktop is an open source client for Windows Terminal Services, capable of natively speaking Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) in order to present the user's Windows desktop. Supported servers include Windows 2000 Server, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows NT Server 4.0. rdesktop currently runs on most UNIX based platforms with the X Window System, and other ports should be fairly straightforward"

Would this be a runner on Pandora? being able to work off my desktop machine on the pandora would be incredibly useful!!!

K

Port done : http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/repo/?pkgname=rdesktop

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI RDP is not secure there isn't any encryption... VNC is a little better and you can tunnel it over ssh but a port of freenx (there is code available) or hamachi(very proprietary) would be more ideal

Remote desktop works fine in an ssh tunnel. And its the best client when connecting to windows.

cb88 said:
FYI RDP is not secure there isn't any encryption... VNC is a little better and you can tunnel it over ssh but a port of freenx (there is code available) or hamachi(very proprietary) would be more ideal
According to Wikipedia RDP uses 128-bit encryption.

cb88 said:

RDP uses various encryption, depending on the client used to connect to the RDP server. 128-bit RC4 encryption has been available since Windows 2000 SP2, and server fingerprinting (to ensure the identity of the remote computer) is available in the latest version. RDP is also much better than VNC at controlling Windows machines, as it has far more insight as to what is actually going on, rather than just "here's a compressed bitmap of the current screen.". It also allows the remote computer to use the local disk drives, printers, serial ports, and speakers.

quadomatic said:
Yeah, why not TinyVNC or UltraVNC? Or use LogMeIn over Firefox.
Because Remote Desktop uses the GDI (if I recall correctly) to send info to the client and thus is MUCH faster at sending data other than bitmaps. VNC does a screen scrape. Ultimately Remote Desktop provides a much smoother experience when managing Windows PC remotely from my experience (although it's possible VNC has improved since I last used it).

Remote Desktop is actually one of the key apps for me in getting a Pandora.

RDP created network devices, such as printers, audio devices etc.

Play a song remotely and it'll be streamed, pretty cool.

in addition to RDP, what would be cool is a program more like vnc but simply for as a controller. So we can control our PC from the sofa... :)

joa said:
RDP created network devices, such as printers, audio devices etc.

Play a song remotely and it'll be streamed, pretty cool.

in addition to RDP, what would be cool is a program more like vnc but simply for as a controller. So we can control our PC from the sofa... :)
What, like this? It's open source, so I don't see why it couldn't work. B)

Did I miss the part where the original poster asked for applications that aren't remote desktop? ...

rdesktop works against existing Windows computers with local users without requiring additional software, and it'll be readily available as sebt3 pointed out. I use remote desktop daily and it'll be one of the most used applications on my Pandora.

Back