Could I Use This As A Phone?

No.

Actually there was a thread about VOIP you might want to read through... Various people were convinced they would do it.

Yup, get a 3G usb modem and use Skype (edit: well, not Skype. Whatever VoIP you can) (might want a bluetooth headset too..)

It's possible via various means, but not exactly portable in that regard, nor the type of thing you would want clamped to the side of your face. There are much better devices out there for that purpose.

Yup.
That could be weird, but one reason i chose the pandora is because it's not a phone.
Am i the only one ?

with a good internet-connection on the pandora and an asterisk-server at home, it should be easy to use the pandora as a phone. having a good internet-connection is still the biggest problem here.

hells_dark said:
Yup.
That could be weird, but one reason i chose the pandora is because it's not a phone.
Am i the only one ?
No, here is another one :)

Last edited by a moderator:
fischju2000 said:
Yup, get a 3G usb modem and use Skype (edit: well, not Skype. Whatever VoIP you can) (might want a bluetooth headset too..)
that confuses me, if im at home with wirless internet and a usb headset then i would be set right? (assuming i have the program to do it.)

"Could I Use This As A Phone?"

This what? :p are you holding a mobile phone right now and ur referring to that? :p

/thread

krooked, yes..

krooked said:
that confuses me, if im at home with wirless internet and a usb headset then i would be set right? (assuming i have the program to do it.)
Yes, you can probably run a Voice over IP (VOIP) client on it from anywhere you have an internet connection. From home, yeah, perfect. On the go.. not so much.

@hells_dark - I'm another one who likes the Pandora without phone functionality, although I may end up getting a USB 3G modem for data and I would applaud anyone who managed to mod in connectivity to any of the major mobile carriers.

I prefer it without data, I can always tether my phone or use my N95 joikuspot connection if I need the nets

Anything that doesn't play stupid musical ring tones in the middle of public places, and doesn't involve loud-mouthed jackasses making sure everyone can hear how "important" they must be .. is a good thing. A very good thing.

I hate phones. Always did, always will. My cell phone is a $30 POS that does everything I need and nothing more. And I like it that way.

Sorry for the unwanted rant.

Prophet said:
Anything that doesn't play stupid musical ring tones in the middle of public places, and doesn't involve loud-mouthed jackasses making sure everyone can hear how "important" they must be .. is a good thing. A very good thing.

I hate phones. Always did, always will. My cell phone is a $30 POS that does everything I need and nothing more. And I like it that way.

:lol:
Exactly.

Prophet said:

I couldn't agree more with Prophet and Mali. It seems like nowadays you can't get a device that doesn't have a phone crammed onto it somewhere.

Personally, I can't understand why. I've already got a phone. Doesn't everyone else?

I hate phones. Always did, always will.

I agree with this part too, but I don't always admit it in public. People find it too shocking. :)

Prophet said:

Rant away, im still the newb here ;) but a 3g wifi phone combined with the pandora is a pretty nice combo i think :)

Edit: details

@hells_dark I think like you, I allredy got a nokia N95 and I am not looking for a new phone. But if someone would make VIOP working thats great but nothing for me.

//som99

i hate phones and find its ability to withstand a drop test the most important, but that doesnt mean that having a phone built into the pandora so i didnt have to have 2 things in my pockets while bike riding to work wouldnt be helpful.
guess ill just have to leave the phone at home, at least i have my priorities right :)

In fact i would like my pandora has an extra small drawer where i can place my home keys, my superslim phone, a credit card and some notes and coins... oH! and capacity for 1 or 2 cigarettes and some matches, i hope somebody makes one

NeORomani said:
In fact i would like my pandora has an extra small drawer where i can place my home keys, my superslim phone, a credit card and some notes and coins... oH! and capacity for 1 or 2 cigarettes and some matches, i hope somebody makes one
You buy the pandora, I'll take the PCB and LCD out, replace it with a pandora logo on a piece of paper and voila!
Pandowallet :D

World's first community based wallet :lol:

Back