Cortex A8 Jazelle Java

nate9771

Still Fresh
dosent the cortex a8 have Jazelle in it :blink: ,so dosent this mean it come with java :D (new to arm)

It doesn't "come" with java. An intel CPU doesn't come with Vista, it supports it.

The cortex A8 happens to have java accelerating functions, which is what you're talking about.

ARM is pretty protective of their Jazelle. I doubt it will come to the open source community.

Cortex-A8 doesn't support Jazelle DBX, which is used to execute some of JVM natively. Instead it has Jazelle RCT, which is just another name for Thumb-EE (which you can easily find documentation on). It's just another CPU mode that's slightly different that Thumb-2, and is supposed to offer some features that are good for JITed JVM and other languages (like null pointer checking).

This doesn't mean that it won't support Java. For DBX to be useful over RCT at all would really cast a lot of doubt on the quality of Java's JIT techniques.

Megamixman said:
ARM is pretty protective of their Jazelle. I doubt it will come to the open source community.
I dunno, I'm sure I read somewhere that the Cortex A-8 has a brand new 'jazelle' - which instead of executing bytecode directly instead is designed to support jitters better by adding support for null pointer checking etc.

Indeed, 'standard' jazelle seems to be particularly crippled

http://infocenter.arm.com/help/topic/com.a...e/Beidagja.html

Hrm, they don't seem to have documented the instruction differences though.

Last edited by a moderator:
anexanhume said:
It doesn't "come" with java. An intel CPU doesn't come with Vista, it supports it.

The cortex A8 happens to have java accelerating functions, which is what you're talking about.
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Back