Copyright Alert System - Starts Today!

vcoleiro1

Hardcore Member
The controversial CAS system has started today.  Here's a quote that gives an overview:

"ISPs like Verizon, Time Warner Cable, AT&T and Comcast will begin issuing warnings to customers suspected of using illegal peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing services that violate copyright laws. Initial notifications will be used to educate and direct customers to legal alternative content sources. If the first set of notifications go avoided, the ISP may take further action, which includes: throttling internet connection speeds and redirecting users to websites requiring acknowledgment of CAS alerts.":

So what do you think of this, good idea or bad idea?

Source story:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/25/copyright-alert-system-now-live/#comments

I should set up a client to download Gigs of public domain media, linux distros, and other legal torrents just to see how they would react... it would probably set off there system or whatever.

Form the source, it works as follows:

Through the CAS, copyright owners send notices of alleged copyright infringement to participating Internet Service Providers – the companies that provide access to the Internet over both wired and wireless connections – also known as ISPs, who then forward these notices to their Subscribers in the form of Copyright Alerts. The Alerts, include the date, time, time zone and title of the copyrighted content alleged to have been unlawfully distributed through apeer-to-peer or file sharing system on a Subscribers account

internet cafes
I think they already have rules that your not meant to do this kind of thing at icafes, though your right, it probably means they will get hit 
Well rule breakers who pirated games ( and anything else piratable ) probably won´t listen to those type of rules .
Walking into an internet cafe wearing a pirate outfit with a parrot on your shoulder might give it away though. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
internet cafes
 I think they already have rules that your not meant to do this kind of thing at icafes, though your right, it probably means they will get hit 
Well rule breakers who pirated games ( and anything else piratable ) probably won´t listen to those type of rules .
 Walking into an internet cafe wearing a pirate outfit with a parrot on your shoulder might give it away though. :p
Not if you trained your parrot right !

Alas, hasn't the "pirate community" already abandoned p2p systems? I thought megaupload/rapidshare/etc. are "the shit" in that regard now

too bad, I'm not in the US, I'dd like to see how they would react to my always up NAS that is sharing the keep of metal and gold archive...

I'm against pirating, but that said, these guys don't do themselves any favors.  

Example, here in Australia::  

1)  At my nearest DVD rental store (same deals at most places) I can hire 2 latest releases and 5 weeklies for $10 or just 2 latest releases for $7 - $9 depending on the day.  Individual weekly hires are like $1-$2

2)  To watch a latest release online via Apple TV it costs at least $7 - $10 Each and many of the old movies (which would be weeklies at the rental store) are still like $5 or so each

How on earth does it cost 2-5x more to stream a movie over them producing a DVD, case, artwork , distributing it etc. 

If they just priced online streams reasonably I would imagine a lot less people would watch pirated movies.

How on earth does it cost 2-5x more to stream a movie over them producing a DVD, case, artwork , distributing it etc. 

If they just priced online streams reasonably I would imagine a lot less people would watch pirated movies.
You're missing so much more.
1. You have to pay your OWN internet connection fee as well.

2. I believe a number of ISP's here in the UK still have data limits, which makes streaming movies ludicrous

3. Pirates don't get all the stupid anti-piracy notices that consume the first 20 minutes when you insert the DVD/BluRay disc

What I find really amusing is that they (the publishers?) sell "Rental" editions of movies. Like there's a frigging difference?!

Thankfully, I think they are smartening up with things like UltraViolet and TriplePlay (or whatever it's called), where you get the DVD, BluRay, and a DRM'd computer video file; which means you can at least watch your film (almost) anywhere you want.

I was pissed off when I bought Serenity on BluRay, and stuck it in my PC (which I specifically bought a BluRay player for) and it told me that I'm not allowed to play it using a digital cable, and I had to connect a VGA cable if I wanted to watch it. Down right insulting

IMO , if you stream a movie like from itunes , Youtube or Apple TV, it should be priced at $1.99 for new releases and $.99 for older movies. They would get so much more people legitimately watching their movies that there profits would go up IMO.  

It's kind of like IOS apps, they are priced reasonably so that hardly anyone downloads pirate copies.   

If movies were priced accordingly on Apple TV, Id be all over it.  As it stands , I haven't streamed any, nor will I.

Indeed more people would watch THEIR movies if priced reasonably. Thats why I like http://mubi.com. You get the best (not Hollywood) films for 5 euro a month, along with a forum filled with people who really know good movies and not just Hollywood dreck.

they want to keep the same retail price even if they cut down their charge by a huge factor and diminish their service with limiting DRM, there lies the heart of the problem...

they want to keep the same retail price even if they cut down their charge by a huge factor and diminish their service with limiting DRM, there lies the heart of the problem...
At the moment they charge 2-5x more for streaming their movies over what they charge for the DVD rental. Does that make sense? Its not even close to the same price as traditional methods of getting their content ie it's way way more and should be way less.

Reminds me of this:

piratedvd.jpg

Back