GP2X Cool Apps Of The Future?

torpor

hack hack hack, the little machines fight back
Website
w1xer.at
hey .. so i was wondering, what do you guys think the GP2X needs, apps-wise, in the near future? i don't mean games specifically, but things that will help you manage your GP2X..

like, i was thinking a few general-purpose apps, like this:

1. a "Module Loader" for managing loaded drivers/modules .. mostly for the USB users among us, so we can turn things on and off from the gp2xmenu and not have to drop to a prompt all the time.. might also be good to roll all the other 'utility' functions into a single app, like the LCD tweaker, volume control, etc. I'm talking a 'general purpose GP2X management' app..

2. a decent filemanager. the onboard filemanager is 'fine' if all you're gonna do is gimp around, but if you use the GP2X as a general-purpose photo-viewing platform while on photography field trips (i do, it rocks) then there needs to be a bit more of an aggressive attack at the filemanager thing.. imagine something like iPhoto, but for the GP2X, and cool ..

3. some dictionary apps .. i'd love to be able to have tons of dictionaries onboard for instant word lookups and references .. there are a grand plethora of such databases out there in the world, wouldn't it be nice to carry something around like that with you on your GP2X ..

4. a way of sync'ing a PC-local database of games and apps to your currently-in-use SD card .. what i've found is that i've got 5 SD cards, each with their own different 'apps', and i have to sorta go through them to find the one i want. wouldn't it be great to have some sort of onboard indexing system that'll tell you what SD card to put in for what app?

5. a better movie player. sure, mplayer works, but its source-less and relatively dead-end .. we should for sure be able to port VLC or some such similar player system to the GP2X, and i know this thread has come up before .. but i'm making a list of 'apps of the next generation' people would like to see, so ..

6. a clock. yes, there is no RTC on the GP2X, i know that, but this doesn't mean we couldn't write a low-power consuming clock app that rocks for the GP2X .. set the time when you start it up, and watch the seconds tick by ..

7. an SVG viewer. SVG simply kicks ass for many, many reasons .. i think the GP2X should be able to handle SVG files as well as it handles .mp3 and .ogg files .. and this would be a way to get some seriously interesting stuff on board too (rolex.svg, anyone?)

8. off-line HTML viewer? in the same category as #7 perhaps, but it'd be great if i could put an SD card in my powerbook, save .html bundles to it, and view them later on the GP2X, off-line like .. i know there are efforts to get this going, but again: this is just a list of cool apps, not a concerted effort to coordinate everyones' development efforts ..

.. anything else? what sort of general-purpose apps do you think would do well on the GP2X, now that its been out and presumably in use for a few months .. ?

All seconded:

File manager
PDF view
HTML off line viewer

Plus:
Diary type thing, enter todays date and see what yo have planned, may be sync with outlook???

Contacts manager for all those useful phone numbers, addresses, emails ids etc...could display a jpg of the person next to their card.

Also:
Emulator authors to standardise on emulator control buttons (start all ways exists for example)
The MP3 player has the ability to turn off the screen, same function if you double pause an emulator...

Er,
there is lynx, the offline html viewer, and its pretty good.
there is flashplay, it plays some flash videos, and games
there is pdfview, for viewing pdfs, and it is pretty decent (with bookmarks).

All at www.gp2x.de under the downloads

I think the type of stuff you would have on a PDA - Calendar, Contacts, etc (like the diary someone mentioned) would be helpful. A lot of you people already have PDAs and don't care, but I don't and therefore do care ;)

PPT viewer or maybe a .gpu to pipe .ppt to .pdf/.svg and view .. hmm .. thats do-able pretty quickly .. 'course, its a bit script-grunt, but "imagemagick" et al. has powerpoint->whatever ..

OEB Ebook Reader.

I doubt a LIT reader is possible, but I believe LIT files can be extracted to OEB by some nefarious means.

torpor posted on Feb 22 2006 at 04:14 AM said:
6. a clock. yes, there is no RTC on the GP2X, i know that, but this doesn't mean we couldn't write a low-power consuming clock app that rocks for the GP2X .. set the time when you start it up, and watch the seconds tick by ..
That is not true. The GP2X does have a RTC, it just resets to Jan 01, 1990 everytime you turn it off. But it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is not true. The GP2X does have a RTC, it just resets to Jan 01, 1990 everytime you turn it off. But it works.

right .. it does have an RTC .. but its not useful because it forgets the time always, so an alarm-clock app would have to ask the user what time it is every time it starts .. not so much of a problem, i agree ..

Could be useful nonetheless, especially when the docking station becomes available (assuming it has DC as part of it).

I doubt the CPUs are fast enough to use it as a PVR, but you (conceivably) might be able to set it up to record audio from a given channel if TV or radio-in ever turns up, which could be cool. Not *much* use, of course, and the hardware would need to turn up first, but hey. You never know what's possible!

torpor posted on Feb 22 2006 at 11:14 AM said:
5. a better movie player. sure, mplayer works, but its source-less and relatively dead-end .. we should for sure be able to port VLC or some such similar player system to the GP2X, and i know this thread has come up before .. but i'm making a list of 'apps of the next generation' people would like to see, so ..
Working on using the decoding hardware in my port of FFPlay (already available).

Shirohagen posted on Feb 22 2006 at 01:07 PM said:
Flash Player
Done, but there aren't any really good open source ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not totally sure, but didn't the mmsp2 have mpeg encoding acceleration as well as decoding? It's probably not that useful without a video input though.

Back