Cook like a champ

this is an easy but delicious one, used to feed British Army officers in the days of Empire:

DAK BUNGALOW MEAT CURRY
Serves 6
Preparation Time 45 minutes

½ kg mutton or beef cut into medium size pieces
1 teaspoon spice powder or garam masala powder
3 teaspoons chopped garlic
1 teaspoon chilly powder
3 onions sliced
salt to taste
3 green chillies
½ teaspoon tumeric powder
½ teaspoon pepper powder
2 tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon lime juice
½ cup milk or curds (optional)

Wash the meat well. Add all the ingredients mentioned above to it and marinate for about 1 hour in a suitable pan. Place the pan on medium heat and cook closed for about 5 to 6 minutes. Lower the heat, add enough water and then simmer for about 40 to 45 minutes till the meat is cooked and the gravy is thick.
Serve with steamed white rice or Bread

If anyone feels like preparing a Pandora community recipe pack, I would be glad to include it in the Gourmet Recipe Manager PND.

I cook a lot myself, always vegetarian. I don't really use recipes though.

The problem is, that stuff like humidity and the amount of surface on each bit of the ingredients, the right temperature,

cooking some ingredients separated up to a certain point, the right amount of spices with a certain timing (some sooner, some later), etc...

is more important than the ingredients itself,

which makes writing down and translating it a bit more complicated, if you never use recipes (like me).

Important are the basic rules - with these you can improvise and use whatever's available.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like to watch this TV cook, I like his style:

http://www.een.be/programmas/dagelijkse-kost/recepten/

(Warning: in Dutch)

but mostly just to get inspiration and tips, rarely to really follow a recipe completely.

My favorite things to make are (always vegetarian variants in case the usual dish uses meat or fish) : Thai curry, Indian curry, Spaghetti, Lasagna, Risotto, Stoofvlees met frieten (carbonade à la flamande - a delicious kind of beer-based stew - with fries), Quiche (you can put nearly anything in a quiche), Vol-au-vent met frieten (vegetarian version uses all kinds of mushrooms and some quorn), "Witloof"-based oven dishes (wikipedia says witloof is called Belgian endive), Asparagus à la flamande (with a sauce based on hard-boiled eggs, parsley and butter), and thick soups made with huge quantities of vegetables (pumpkin and courgette can make delicious soups that taste like you used lots of cream while in fact there is no cream at all in it).

We have a big freezer, so usually when I cook, I make rather big quantities and we eat only 1/3rd or 1/4th of it. The rest goes to the freezer. That way, when I don't feel like cooking, there's always a lot of stuff in the freezer to choose from - this is much better than storing leftovers in the fridge, because then you have to eat the same thing twice in a short timespan.

Lamb Doner Meat (I think this is called Gyro Meat in the USA)

500g of minced lamb

1 teaspoon of plain flour

1 teaspoon of dried oregano

1/2 teaspoon of dried italian herbs

1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon of onion powder

1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper

1 teaspoon of salt

1/2 teaspoon of black pepper

Lay out a large strip of cling film on your counter top

In a large bowl mix together all of the herbs & spices

Add the lamb and knead well to mix in the herbs

Compact the mixture to remove any air bubbles and mould into a large sausage/loaf shape

Place on top of the cling film and after washing hands roll into a large sausage shape (twist ends to seal)

Place on a plate in fridge for minimum of 24 hours

Preheat oven to 180c

Remove meat from cling-film and place on a tray, cover with doubled over foil (pressed down to cover) in the middle of oven

Cook for 50 minutes

Remove foil (careful as there will be a lot of juices) continue cooking for 20 minutes, turn to brown on all sides.

Remove and let sit under foil for 5-10 minutes

Carve into slices and serve as required, we have slices in a pitta bread with salad & sauces (Chilli & Garlic Mayo)

Not too long as it will dry up but a couple of days in the fridge if wrapped in cling film.

There is only enough for a couple of sandwiches each though if shared so it goes straight from cooking to being eaten around here.

I'm making one this weekend so we'll take & post some photos'

Tinypic.com I use to just up some pics for linking, if I don't need to keep them, as it's no account thing. Good thing is as soon as uploaded the image it gives you a variety of links for it, including the forum friendly one so you can just copy/paste that to here and don't have to use the forums BBCode tags.

Mega.co.nz I use for a free hosting for files, which I can log in and remove or share links and stuff... it's very easy to use, drag drop files into the browser to upload. Nice lay out, plenty free space

Doner Meat Photo's

2ekotiv.jpg

2dqn4pj.jpg

smd6rr.jpg

2f06fpg.jpg

64fqkk.jpg

2hyb860.jpg

I'll have to write down and translate my vegan cuisine as it seems,
please
I totally forgot about this.

Some of the examples what I'm cooking as main dishes:

- potatoes fried in the pan with beans, vegetables (onions, carrots, broccoli...), seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, pine or hemp), etc..

-> there are several ways to do this properly, I usually use a big closed pan to steam the properly salted potatoes first, a second pan for the rest and put it all in the big one (then openend) when the potatoes are soft, add some nice spices and/or herbs, fry it together a short while and you're good to go

-> instead of potatoes you can also use easier to prepare stuff like (mie-)noodles (the ones without egg are fine), millet/couscous or something like that

- Curry (the usual coconut milk and spice-paste stew) with potatoes, onions, broccoli and carrot in the stew. Best served with basmati or round grain rice. Mind that many curry-pastes are not vegetarian due to fish ingredients.

- Pasta with whatever sauce you like to make out of squashed tomatoe and other small cut vegetables and beans

-> Works with a spinach sauce too of course, adding soy cream is optional

- Chili con (sin) carne with sliced black olives and seeds instead of meat

- Lasagna with pumpkin and spinach sauce, probably yeast melting on top

- Baked puff pastry filled with spinach or spiced tomatoe and Violife or Wilmersburger

Salt and pepper are your friends, if you like it hot, so is chili, ginger and wasabi.

I'm using a lot of fresh herbs too if available from someones garden, preferably oregano and lemon balm.

- For "on the go" I recommend preparing some easy onigiri with the right amount of salt and rice vinegar or sushi (again salt and rice vinegar) filled with gurkins and leek some herb or maybe fried onions if you're into those

If you're into recipes:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Everyday-Cooking/Vegetarian/Vegan/

http://allrecipes.com/recipes/everyday-cooking/vegetarian/vegan/main-dishes/

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/collections/healthy_vegan_recipes

http://www.foodnetwork.com/topics/vegan.html

I usually improvise with what I got available though. Knowing someone with a garden helps, sometimes there is a lot of edible and tasty stuff to be found that nobody knows of, like ground elder and daisys are edible too (taste a bit like carrot).

If you want to try vegan pancakes out of curiosity and don't have anything against soy stuff, use soy-drink instead of milk and soy-flour instead of eggs, works splendid.

Here is my recipe I make almost every day

0) Cut up a fresh homegrown Scotch Bonnet chili (very hot and aromatic) into very fine slices. Put in a soup bowl. Substitute with chili extract if you dont have Scotch Bonnets

1) Put 3/4 cup frozen asian vegetable mix into soup bowl

2) Microwave 3 minutes and while doing that heat up 1 bowlful water in a water cooker

3) Add ramen noodle package contents to bowl and pour boiling water on top

4) Let sit 3 minutes

Enjoy. The vegetables make it almost healthy!

Homemade Fudge:

1 lb. Confectioner's Sugar

6 Tablespoons Butter(Ghee if you have it)
1/2 cup Unsweetened Cocoa
1/4 cup Milk
1 Tablespoon Vanilla
1/4 tsp. Salt
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)

In medium saucepan, heat sugar, butter, cocoa, milk, vanilla & salt over low heat, stirring until smooth. Stir in nuts. Spread mixture quickly in buttered 9x5 -inch loaf pan. Cool & cut into squares. Makes 2 dozen. Can be doubled. 

Is anyone familiar with Japanese cooking and tried making Omurice before?

This recepie looks interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcJlmhoYNfI

I cook more like a chimp.

original.jpg
I don't cook too often any more, and when I cook from scratch I usually don't use a recipe.  I either know approximately how much I need of what and such, or I just throw together things that work well for me.  

There is a soup or stew that I used to eat long ago, and I don't remember most of the ingredients, so that will take some experimenting.  I think I have a basic idea of how to make it, and if I am correct I don't know if I have the skills.  It may be difficult to get some of the ingredients here since I think they are more regional to where I used to eat it, or are at least not common with most people here.  Too many of my favorite things are hard to get here.  Luckily about half of my favorite foods come from the area where I currently live.

Back