Controller Support for SNES?

carport888

Still Fresh
Is there a way to use an external controller with SNES emulation? I'd love to play some 2 player games, but dont' see any way to be able to...

I take it you have one of those USB adapters.. generally all these works fine, but the regular sized USB port is USB 2.0 only.. you need a USB 2.0 hub or an adapter on the smaller otg USB port to allow USB 1.1 devices to work properly... the rest is just remapping the controls in the emulator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I have a 7-port USB hub that works perfectly, and I'm able to use the controller for Playstation and Genesis, but there dosen't seem to be any options for remapping the controls in Snes9x4P...

...also what is the official protocol for adding a brand of USB hub to the USB Compatibility List on the wiki? Dynex USB 2.0 7-Port Hub works for everything I've plugged into it, and can be used with or without the AC adapter that comes with it. It also includes a USB Mini cord that can be used for charging the Pandora from the OTG Port.

I assume you're specifically using Snes9x4P found on the repo? You are right, there are no options in any of the menus to remap a controller (that I'm aware of).

Odds are, the mapping is defined in a configuration file located in the appdata directory. You'll need to get your hands a bit dirty to find that; has anyone here done this before?

If you press space in game doesn't it come up with control options for player one and two? I use a Retrode 2 with a MegaDrive pad occasionally but I just use my iCP for 2 player most of the time.

If you press space in game doesn't it come up with control options for player one and two? I use a Retrode 2 with a MegaDrive pad occasionally but I just use my iCP for 2 player most of the time.
Nope, not the primary SNES emulator. That I'm aware of at least. It may be a feature added in the future....

Nope, not the primary SNES emulator. That I'm aware of at least. It may be a feature added in the future....

Primary? I looked for other SNES emulators for Pandora, but couldn't find any...are there? And if so, where?

I just checked myself and even reading the entire documentation there's nothing about player two controls. I will keep checking through though.

based on reading the first paragraph of the snes9x4p documentation, the controls should just work without anything having to be readjusted as long as its plugged in correctly.

so make sure youre using a hub, make sure you didnt crash your usb by using a usb1.1 device, and make sure you turned usb on if youre on experimental kernel

based on reading the first paragraph of the snes9x4p documentation, the controls should just work without anything having to be readjusted as long as its plugged in correctly.

I am running kernel 2.6.27 and the controller is plugged in through a hub. I just retested in snes9x4p and the controller is unresponsive in both the menu and in the game. I then switched over to PicoDrive 1.80 and the controller worked perfectly...then back to snes9x4p and still nothing.

I am not aware of any support for external controllers being implemented in Snes9x4P. There might be something in if skeezix has done it in the initial port, but I don't think so. I don't have an USB controller, so can't implement and test anything there. But in case you want to check the code and possibly provide patches, please have a look at this github repo where you can find the sources used for the build:

https://github.com/ivanovic-wesnoth/Snes9x4P

Personally, I don't know much about programming other than intermediate HTML, but if someone could provide a patch, that would be great!

I have a wireless keyboard that works with the emulator, so I'm wondering if it would be easier to write a program (for xfce4?) that can set controllers as a keyboard input, where we can map which keys we want for each button. Would something like this even work? If so, we would just need a way to set 2 players in the emulator, but not necessarily need full control over keymapping, right?

Back