Console Emus

Also linc186, the reason you were greeted with jokes and sarcasm before actual info is only because due to the type of device the Pandora is (an enthusiast type device) it is generally expected that one has a basic understanding at least of these idea's beforehand which is usually what makes this device have the following it does. In most cases only people who are trying to be sarcastic or try to see if they can get people riled up ask these questions.

Now that you have identified you are new to the whole scene, you'll likely get more informative responses assuming you take the time to do a web search on the basics of these concepts beforehand and ask about what you don't understand. I think you'll find there are some outstandingly bright people in this community and if you learn just half of what I have in the time I have been here, you will know a lot and actually want to know more.

Sorry you got the bad first impression on this, it might be best to make a note of your newness when asking another question, it may save people from thinking you are trying to be one of those they call a "troll".
There are many helpful and outstanding people here who you will learn a lot from, so welcome.

When I first saw this post, I was just going to smoosh my face into the keyboard and post it as a reply. And then I remembered that on my very first day on GP32X, back in '04, I asked if the GP32 could emulate the NGage.

So I do think it's a good thing that new members are aware of the powers of the Pandora, so I stickied Someguy's thread.

Nova said:
So I do think it's a good thing that new members are aware of the powers of the Pandora, so I stickied Someguy's thread.
Good call on that one. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
SomeGuy99 said:
http://www.gp32x.de...is-it-possible/

Contents:

- Can I Run Windows?
- Can I run Xbox/PS2/Gamecube/Saturn/Dreamcast/DS/GBA/Game King games by "porting" them?
- Can I run games without Linux (unless the person who wrote the game is very dedicated)?
- Can I run Windows apps with WINE?

Interesting read, SomeGuy but it really didn't answer anything about emulation and confused the poor chap into going off on a tangent about source codes and porting!

i asked if it could run NOX or red alert 2 on my first day. so dont feel bad. what are some of the other questions newbs have had around here? including some of you that are still around and have progressed quite far

Nova said:
When I first saw this post, I was just going to smoosh my face into the keyboard and post it as a reply. And then I remembered that on my very first day on GP32X, back in '04, I asked if the GP32 could emulate the NGage.

o.o You liked the NGage enough to want to emulate it?

Some side notes for linc186:

Standardly, to emulate a console, you need to make software that does in software most if not all of what the actual system you want to emulate does in hardware. This takes a lot of effort to make, and generally takes a lot of processing power, and it takes more processing power the more complex the hardware. Obviously I am leaving a lot out, but this is just to give you an idea of why emulators can't just be made and work for any system as long as it is more "powerful" (which is also a very subjective term and isn't always true)

-God Ginrai

linc186 said:
I'm expecting, HELL NO! as the companies don't want there consoles beige emulated) so how do we obtain the scource code. Thank you!

That's where we have trounced the corporations because, despite their best efforts, we do have beige

Prometheus said:
Nova said:

Except the thread has been deleted. WTF?

SomeGuy99 said:
Prometheus said:
Nova said:

It wasn't deleted, it was just unstickied. One mod thought it should be sticky, another thought otherwise. There's probably a power struggle among the demigods going on right now and we mere mortals will suffer it.
:p

WizardStan said:
SomeGuy99 said:
Prometheus said:
Nova said:

It wasn't deleted, it was just unstickied. One mod thought it should be sticky, another thought otherwise. There's probably a power struggle among the demigods going on right now and we mere mortals will suffer it.
:p

Oh yeah.... I was looking everywhere to see where it went, but it turns out to still be in this forum (detached from the top, falling like a stone).

^ It's back in Software Hacking now ;)
There is still the FAQ link in the Info Index which covers all that info and I don't think we need another sticky. We had these discussions many times and the once stickied WINE thread didn't help either back then, cause some people just refuse to read FAQs/stickies and all that.

mali said:
^ It's back in Software Hacking now ;)
There is still the FAQ link in the Info Index which covers all that info and I don't think we need another sticky. We had these discussions many times and the once stickied WINE thread didn't help either back then, cause some people just refuse to read FAQs/stickies and all that.

My thread didn't like the limelight anyway. Said something about fame being empty and shallow :)

DaMummy said:
i asked if it could run NOX or red alert 2 on my first day. so dont feel bad. what are some of the other questions newbs have had around here? including some of you that are still around and have progressed quite far

That's nothing. On my first day I asked if the Pandora could emulate the Gamecube... In the GP2x section!

This thread has proved quite informative, I must say. Also, about that comment Linc186 made about sourcecode released by developers, there was this one unreleased N64 game we actually have a chance at, the website is still live and the developers are giving away the ROM, but I can't remember it...
EDIT: It was Robotech: Crystal Dreams, available here:
http://www.opusgames.com/games/rcd/rcd.html

IDK about source, though, I think you have to ask.

Jourdy288 said:
DaMummy said:

That's nothing. On my first day I asked if the Pandora could emulate the Gamecube... In the GP2x section!

This thread has proved quite informative, I must say. Also, about that comment Linc186 made about sourcecode released by developers, there was this one unreleased N64 game we actually have a chance at, the website is still live and the developers are giving away the ROM, but I can't remember it...
EDIT: It was Robotech: Crystal Dreams, available here:
http://www.opusgames.com/games/rcd/rcd.html

IDK about source, though, I think you have to ask.

I spent a year and a half just waiting for blog updates before I even noticed the forum.. Information was much quicker to get, but I guess I wasn't totally a noob before starting posting comments.

Back