Compile For Pabdora Under Pandora?

zxxxy

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I think it will be wery good to compile and program for pandora on........ Pandora! imagine. gimp+cpmpiler+3d program+good text editor= compiling under pandora? is it possible? i think im going 2 buy pandora when its next batch. so can i, beginer of c++ can hope this?

Absolutely! You can develop for Pandora on Pandora.

The biggest hurdle will be coding on the tiny keyboard, but if you use a larger usb or bluetooth keyboard, there's nothing stopping you.

I'm sure that this is possible. I remember that it has come up before.

Something like Eclipse should be possible. You might want to consider how comfortable it is to program with a small screen, and a thumb board. Although it might help for testing and then chasing those last bugs.

Programming entirely on the Pandora will certainly be difficult. I think I'm probably going to just have it mount a network share on my laptop and compile from there, so I can use my laptop for most of the actual typing, and I can build a PC version simultaneously to make testing easier.

A full IDE would be a waste of resources. There are some lighter ones you could use but seriously, Eclipse? I've seen that bring far more powerful machines to their knees. A better bet would be to have the toolchain installed, use something like SciTE (or vim/emacs, if that floats your boat), and then become more familiar with make/cmake/whatever. SciTE has a N800 port already, so it's a safe bet that it will run fine on Pandora. You're probably not going to be doing a ton of coding on the Pandora in any realistic scenario anyway, but it would be helpful for debugging and doing quick edits/changes/recompiles while you work, or banging out some code quickly when inspiration strikes.

It's definitely no big deal - I never bothered cross-compiling for my Zaurus, I did it all on-board. Although whenever I was near a desktop I went straight to the full size keyboard (yay for SSH!) - programming isn't as fun when all your {}_+*|; etc need Fn combos to hit!

Of course, it's still far better than programming on my old Palm pda using Graffiti. :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
White Flame said:
That's why you code in Lisp! :p

You could map the L and R shoulder buttons to '(' and ')', then you could do without the qwerty keyboard almost completely. :p

you guys talk lisp. you should definitely check out sawfish - it's written in lisp. And I'm going to use sawfish on pandora (of course!).

I'll be coding on pandora. I hope that keyboard will be fine for that, I've put a great deal of effort towards good keyboard. But mainly I'll use C++.

As an ide you could consider geany: it is lightweight, should fit better than something eclipse on the small screen, and it is already in openembedded/angstrom.

I don't think that full programming will be feasible, but that's just because of the small keyboard/screen; the hw would be perfectly capable.

valhalla said:
As an ide you could consider geany: it is lightweight, should fit better than something eclipse on the small screen, and it is already in openembedded/angstrom.

I don't think that full programming will be feasible, but that's just because of the small keyboard/screen; the hw would be perfectly capable.

+1

Geany's a great editor (I wouldn't call it an IDE, even though it apparently wants to be one), one of my favorites.

Wookiee said:

Something like Eclipse should be possible. You might want to consider how comfortable it is to program with a small screen, and a thumb board. Although it might help for testing and then chasing those last bugs.
Well you can add whatever open source GUI coding front-ends you desire if your prepared to compile them up or wait for packages to turn up ;).

I have mulled the idea of shipping a basic GCC compiler and supporting tools in the image.

Those tools have been in the test images for some time now and assuming they don't get pushed out on size grounds I am coming round to the idea of keeping them in the shipping images ;).

Not sure I would want to compile locally but I know a lot of people do want to so I am trying to aim to please.

For the record and as an academic test I installed GIT, pulled down some code from one of my GIT repositories to the Pandora, ./configure'd it and compiled it on the device and then ran the resulting app. All worked fine. Dynamic linking to installed libs etc. - Just as you would expect. If people really want to go all 'native' on the Pandora I am not going to stop them :lol:.

DJWillis said:
Wookiee said:

Well you can add whatever open source GUI coding front-ends you desire if your prepared to compile them up or wait for packages to turn up ;).

I have mulled the idea of shipping a basic GCC compiler and supporting tools in the image.

Those tools have been in the test images for some time now and assuming they don't get pushed out on size grounds I am coming round to the idea of keeping them in the shipping images ;).

Not sure I would want to compile locally but I know a lot of people do want to so I am trying to aim to please.

For the record and as an academic test I installed GIT, pulled down some code from one of my GIT repositories to the Pandora, ./configure'd it and compiled it on the device and then ran the resulting app. All worked fine. Dynamic linking to installed libs etc. - Just as you would expect. If people really want to go all 'native' on the Pandora I am not going to stop them :lol:.

Nice. Thanks alot.

Klepto said:
White Flame said:
That's why you code in Lisp! :p

You could map the L and R shoulder buttons to '(' and ')', then you could do without the qwerty keyboard almost completely. :p
Ahahahahahahahahahaahahhahahahahhaha :lol: :lol: :lol:

I usually use two 120x48 character xterms and it's not worth going blind, does not make that much sense outside of the novelty of it when there's a 25.5" display and two cores at 5ghz I could be using instead. Even if I wrote something on it compiling there sounds more painful than fun.

Sphinxter said:
I usually use two 120x48 character xterms and it's not worth going blind, does not make that much sense outside of the novelty of it when there's a 25.5" display and two cores at 5ghz I could be using instead. Even if I wrote something on it compiling there sounds more painful than fun.
This summer when I am living in the woods I plan to code exclusively on the GP2X :) Albeit, assembly only, though.

Sphinxter: Just because you're developing on the Pandora itself doesn't mean that you need to code with its screen/keyboard. That's what ssh or remote X11 is for!

Back