Clonedvd Mobile For Ripping Movies

ookami007

Still Fresh
Has anyone used CloneDVD Mobile for ripping movies for GP2X? Does it work? Does it work well?

I know there are alot of freeware, etc. solutions but I just want to get it done with as little aggravation as possible.

Is there a better solution?

Last edited by a moderator:
Fishbong posted on Sep 21 2006 at 07:57 AM said:
I haven´t tried the link you posted, but DVDx can rip a DVD directly to a gp2x compatible .avi
yep it does.

I prefer virtualdub though.

Shikaku posted on Sep 20 2006 at 08:51 PM said:
Does not exist. Sorry, but the whole idea of the GP2X is tinkering, and using multple programs is part of it...

Actually... I got the program and gave it a try last night...

CloneDVD Mobile works like a charm... one stop... Rip and convert...

Aninhumer posted on Sep 21 2006 at 05:43 PM said:
Yes at but if you made it at wouldn't it only be as dumb as you?

*prepare for an onslaught of information about video encoding*

It is impossible to make a script that can define settings like I can because of the fact that the way that video compression works is highly complex and very good in what it does.

The way that I compress videos is to see for myself how long it stays in the "highly uncompressed mode" vs the "low compression mode." Both of these methods occur because of the way the original image was made: it goes into highly uncompressed mode because there is a lot of "action," and low because there is not a lot of "action." Action is defined as the number of frames where there is a large change from one frame to another. The reason MP4 compression works is because it knows how frames change as the movie goes along, and therefore makes "predictions." It applies these "predictions" to the next frames so that it actually compresses 1 image and then changes the image using the "predictions" as needed. When too much has changed because of a lot of "action," it takes a new picture and starts making "predictions" from that.

This is why you should always use 2 pass for variable rate encoding, for better "predictions." Sometimes I use the quality settings as well (it basically compresses as much as the parameter, and if I do use it I usually pick the highest quality or a tiny bit less), but I usually stick to data rate encoding.

I interpret all this, and make a good estimation of the data rate required.

This is why I don't use scripts.

That seems like an awful lot of work just to get optimum compression.
I'd much rather just type "foo-script filename" perhaps with parameters like -action or -high and be done with it.
I'm not saying that's best for you though...

...anyhow I mainly said that just to *zing* you :p ...

id much rather say, make the movie with the highest quality you can that makes the output file 2gb or less. which if the screensize is 320x240, its usually max anyway becase the resolution is so small.

Shikaku posted on Sep 20 2006 at 04:51 PM said:
John Raven posted on Sep 20 2006 at 04:42 PM said:
I'm looking for a quick, streamlined method. No multiple programs, no funky settings, etc.

Does not exist. Sorry, but the whole idea of the GP2X is tinkering, and using multple programs is part of it...

Sorry, false. Lots of good proggies to do one-click, high-quality, intelligent multi-pass encoding.

My favorite: http://fairusewizard.com/

Lots of others: http://www.videohelp.com/tools?s=30#30

Back