Chrome Os

femngi

Still Fresh
I was surprised I couldn't find a topic about this yet.
I'm sure most of you have heard about Chrome OS. Since this is going to be open source what are the odds of running this on the pandora and really, would you want to?

I'm also interested in Chrome Os, but isn't it a bit premature to discuss porting it to the Pandora?

You didn't search, did you? ;)
long story short: probably, if you want. Given that it's little more than a browser based OS, and all it's "apps" will run on any html standard browser (ie, Firefox that comes with Angstrom should do just fine) then you gain absolutely nothing from the effort of porting it.

Last edited by a moderator:
WizardStan said:
You didn't search, did you? ;)
long story short: probably, if you want. Given that it's little more than a browser based OS, and all it's "apps" will run on any html standard browser (ie, Firefox that comes with Angstrom should do just fine) then you gain absolutely nothing from the effort of porting it.
Could you tell me how you managed to find those threads as searching this forum using the thing in the top right came up with nothing.
As for the point of porting it, well it would for the same reasons you would install it on a netbook. Why shouldn't we make the pandora do everything it possibly can?

click advanced, search the entire forum, not just this little subsection. There are people talking about other things in other sections that sometimes get crossovers, you know. The last link is for the other forum which you wouldn't have been able to search, I just remembered it.
As for making the Pandora do everything it possibly can, I should reiterate that GCOS is a watered down Linux kernel with a custom window manager that runs a browser and THAT'S IT. From what they say GCOS is, it actually does much, much less than any other OS out there. It is, however, being designed to be fast and stupid-easy, making it perfect for non-users.

It's worth noting that discussions starting like this one could be moved to off-topic or other sections, because they aren't specifically Pandora related at this time.

When all else fails - use Google!

femngi said:
I was surprised I couldn't find a topic about this yet.
I'm sure most of you have heard about Chrome OS. Since this is going to be open source what are the odds of running this on the pandora and really, would you want to?

Hmm yes please. Replace the power of an entire Linux distribution with a browser running on framebuffer device. Awesome!

Back