Chex Quest For Wiz

fett42

If any of you remember back in 1996 there was a Doom-like shooter called Chex Quest that came in boxes of Chex cereal. This game has grown to a cult-like status because it was a superior port of the Doom engine. If you haven't had the chance to play this awesome game, now is your chance. I used Pickle's prboom port to make a working version of Chex Quest for the Wiz. I had to use the DS port of prboom as well to get it working since it came with a special prboom.wad file that was made for Chex Quest. Here are a couple screens from the game:

6c40fab18a5f31a0c42f412.jpg

048063346fdb64ee6f037ee.jpg

Here is the download link to the game:

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,30,320

You can alternatively download it from Megaupload:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VP39OJ2Q

This game includes Chex Quest 1 and 2, plus there are 2 extra user created level packs as well. This game is only missing Chex Quest 3, which I have not yet been able to run on the Wiz.

Please note that you need to have a separate directory for Chex Quest from the normal prboom folder. The reason for this is Chex Quest uses a different version of the prboom.wad which includes sounds and images from the game Chex Quest.

Thanks a lot for this fett22. :)
How come we don't get cool things like this in cereal any more!

Here's an nice icon I found for it:
496588-chex_064_small.png

It's currently 50x50.
I just resized it with paint. (With 'Image' / 'Resize/Skew')
(64% horizontal & 64% vertical to make it 32x32)
(44% horizontal & 50% vertical to make it 22x25)

Cheers, Neil

Yeah thanks fett, keep up the good work. Wiz releases are becoming few and far between with the upcoming Pandora release.
I found this site http://dsdoommods.lefora.com/2009/06/09/do-you-want-a-very-a-lot-of-wad-come-here/
It's a site for dsdoom but there's a bunch of downloadable wads at the bottom of the page. Maybe you can get some of these working on the Wiz?
Star Wars, Star Trek and The Simpsons would be really cool!!!

Thanks for the icon Neil!

Thanks for the cool icon Neil. I have an EXE with an icon of the Chex Quest guy covered in slime, but I can't seem to get it extracted. The one you posted will work nicely though.

Thanks Orion for the link. I was actually there earlier when I was on a quest to find a suitable Chex Quest for the Wiz. I completely overlooked the link to the wad downloads at the bottom of that page. I'll give those a try and see what I can do. I have tried several Star Wars wads and a Star Trek wad, but I have had no luck getting any of them running on the Wiz. I never tried Simpson's though. I'll try all 3 from the wads included in the wad packs listed on that site. I did get a Lego Doom wad working, but it only changed the monsters into lego figures. It is kind of funny, but not that great in my opinion. I also got Batman Doom working properly, no graphic errors this time around. However, I still can't get past the blue door in the first level since there doesn't appear to be a blue key for it. So I see no reason in posting that wad.

*EDIT*

I tried all 3 of those, the Doom 2 versions of Star Wars, Star Trek, and Simpsons. Star Wars and Star Trek are total conversions. Simpsons just adds in Simpsons sounds and characters. It uses the normal levels. I'll post Star Wars and Star Trek in my prboom thread for sure. Let me know if you still want Simpsons.

I've been playing this on and off for the last few days but I think there's a bug on the 'E1M8 Phobos Anomaly' level, because the star shaped walls don't drop after you've killed the 2 big square green things. (As it does with the Barons in Doom 1)

Has anybody else had this problem?

Cheers, Neil

Neil L said:
I've been playing this on and off for the last few days but I think there's a bug on the 'E1M8 Phobos Anomaly' level, because the star shaped walls don't drop after you've killed the 2 big square green things. (As it does with the Barons in Doom 1)

Has anybody else had this problem?

Cheers, Neil

Same thing just happened to me. My best guess is it has something to do with the clipping issue. There are a few spots throughout the game where you seem to enter no clipping mode and it looks like you can walk through a wall, but you can't. I'll see what I can do to fix this issue when I have a little free time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back