Cheapest Gp2x

Keep an eye on the marketplace on this forum. Occasionally you'll find someone who'll offer a secondhand unit for around 100 USD.

Ebay would indeed be cheaper than the retail shops that carry them, but your cheapest option is this forum :)

The cheapest ones I have seen personally are here on the forum, seems the community here is more out to help out other enthusiasts rather than trying to make a buck. Hence the wonderful developement teams that continue to work to bring us better and faster software.

I have seen very few on eBay myself... but a new unit is not priced too badly when you consider what you are getting. My first serious PDA cost me $1000cad, my last one cost me $600cad and when I was visiting a retro site about the Atari Lynx I realized I must have paid close to $200cad when I bought that. So my when I look at my GP2x I am amazed at what a deal I got for a retro device that does so much.

I want to add... I don't quite understand the battery issue most people complain about. I would much rather have a pack full of standard rechargeable AA batteries than have to deal with proprietory battery packs. At 3.5 to 5 hours on two AA batteries I can carry enough to easily last me a fort night in my pockets.

The problem I have with the battery life is that there isn't really any warning when they are close to dying. One minute it's working, the next the screen is going mad.

the black skull said:
Where can I find the cheapest GP2X?
Where ever you go to find one, be sure it is the newer "MK2" model. The MK1 had joystick flaws making it hard to control.

Last edited by a moderator:
Orkie said:
The problem I have with the battery life is that there isn't really any warning when they are close to dying. One minute it's working, the next the screen is going mad.

Mine doesn't die that quickly - I get a couple of minutes before it dies completely after the red light comes on - then the screen goes mad.

Guess it's probably quicker depending on if you run overclocked (I very rarely overclock).

Also depends on nimh battery quality?
I probably have cheap ones that act more like alkalines when they're dying :)

Anyway, I've always had plenty of warning and can swap the new batteries in before the gp2x has realised and just carry on gaming (okay that last bit I made up B) ).

Orkie said:

Well I do agree that the warning indicator could have been put in a better spot, since I miss seeing it all the time too. But all in all... I find it hard to complain about this unit.

Mine almost never comes on at all, the screen just goes wavy then fades to white.

Orkie said:
Mine almost never comes on at all, the screen just goes wavy then fades to white.
I've only ever noticed mine come on a couple times, but all times were when i was playing Ur-Quaan Masters. Other than that i cant say as i've ever noticed it light up.

I don't know if this happens to the rest of you, but the battery led works for me every time with the exception when I launch a program from GMenu2x.

Orkie said:
Mine either, I have seen it on only once.

Other then that, I will be playing, and it will just lock up. I reset the GP2x, thinking it might have been a bug, and then I get screen melt during bootup.

This is the only problem I have with the GP2x :(. If you really get into a game, say any emu game, and forget to have the SRAM save regularly, only to have it lock up and lose an hrs work... :(

So I always play paranoid that my battery will die, just like the GP32 :p

I liked the fact that the GP2x has a battery monitor, it would be even better if it worked! :)

I don't know if this happens to the rest of you, but the battery led works for me every time with the exception when I launch a program from GMenu2x.

No its the same for me on GMenu2x or the original. No light.

I take it there's no way of knowing battery power (about to die) left in software - ie a piece of 'brown out'(?) software?
My led comes on (at least) most of the time - I agree it's in a position where it's easy to miss it though.

Alex. said:
Yeah I find that too, any way for that to be fixed?

mdinire said:
Alex. said:
Yeah I find that too, any way for that to be fixed?

Thats odd because I never used GMenu2x until recently and still have only ever seen that light on once. I was previously using the FW 3.0.0 GUI. What FW GUI were you using prior to GMenu2x? Maybe its a bug of sorts in 3.0.0?

Back