Caanoo / WIZ Chat Client For Caanoo

u9i

Call me Uni
Website
riotdigital.com
Hi

When i got my Wiz, i was toying with the idea of making a volume-control daemon thingy where you could change the volume while in some game with some kind of key-combination. I pictured some kind of translucent overlay much like when you change volume on the iphone/ipod, that would show you the setting and fade away after a while.

Since then, the Caanoo has come along fixing such volume control shortcoming (although i'm no fan of analogue sliders, it does work on a global level). So now, in the same ballpark, i am toying with tbe idea to make some kind of social chat/contact program where people can meet up and play multiplayer games (if you build it, they will come ;) ). For this idea i am also picturing such an overlay, where you can see events, eg. "Uni just logged on" or "Uni is challenging you to a game of pong" or "Uni says: Hi" etc.

The question is, is it possible to make such an overlay? As i undrrstand it, the Wiz and Caanoo have two layers in hardware and one of them is displayed on top of the other. Am i lust talking gibberish here, or is there somethink to it?

/Uni

Well, I see two ways to do this:
- A new library (but it'll need some language bindings - eg, for bennugd)
- A background app (service/daemon): in this case, some interprocess communication is needed (eg, via [named]pipe, shared memory, sockets)

It's a nice idea, but where will be the server?

I'm considering porting the Flock Engine to Wiz/Gp2x/Caanoo/Pandora at some point .. I know the developer and he's got a C++ version of the engine planned in the near future..

http://flockengine.com/

That looks interesting indeed.

But my question is, is it possible to display information ontop of a game without changing the game itself? The goal is that you can receive info even while doing something else.

/Uni

Back