Changing A Few System Settings

jacksterson

For my upcoming skin packs, I want to be as thorough as possible, so I was wondering if anyone was willing to write a couple scripts that would help me change the boot-up images and system sound schemes?

Credit will be given of course, I just know squat about coding and I really don't want to mess with my wiz or computer to get into the system files...

Last edited by a moderator:
The boot up images are compiled in, you'd have a hard time changing them.
A hard time figuring out how to change them, or a hard time actually changing them during theme change?
You would have to recompile the kernel with the new boot images and hope it works.

In other words, it's not exactly themeable.
Hm...
Ok, but I'm still willing to try it. I want to set a good standard for the wiz skinning community. :D
How about the system sounds?

The "safe"* and easy stuff to edit is in /usr/gp2x

Several .wav files, and directories starting with 'img' containing png files.

Trying to change anything else is just asking for trouble.

* - safe as in, if you screw up, you should still be able to recover your wiz by doing a full reflash, or by using a serial cable.

You'd think GPH would know better than to not include a skinning option.
Maybe in future firmware huh?

I think they made it to be skinnable, considering all the seperate graphics files rather than having everything built into the executable or one single resource file.

Then again, maybe they think the first thing people are going to do with the Wiz is replace the menu like they did on the 2X, so there's little point putting all that work in for nothing?

You'd think GPH would know better than to not include a skinning option.
Maybe in future firmware huh?
It would not be completely trivial to make the bootloader and kernel load images from a filesystem, especially since GPH only seem to have a single part time programmer working for them. It would make the boot time longer too.

Back