Cases And Screen Protectors?

MonkeyChops

NO! I don't play basketball
I just bought 2 Caanoos for my kids. I got a white one for my daughter who is 6 years old and a black/blue one for my son who is 4. I bought them from play-asia and they were out of the jelly cases and screen protectors. Do you think the cases or screen protectors are worth it?

I bought caanoo instead of a dingoo because I understand that they are built pretty solid and with the price dropping on the caanoo it was worth the extra money to get a newer, faster, and better built machine for my kids. Are they solid enough for kids that young or should I absolutely get the jelly case? Do the jelly cases really protect the units that well? I understand they only cover half of the caanoo. Has anyone here actually broke their caanoo by dropping it yet? Does the screen scratch easy? I want to get a screen protector for it but 10 bucks seems steep. Are there any other options short of cutting a larger one to fit?

I'm planning on buying them hard cases to put them in but I'm having trouble deciding on a ds case that would work well. I saw where someone here recommended a case from ebay but the auction has long since expired. What I'd really like to get is a play-thru case of some sort. One like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-DSi-XL-Fold-N-Hold-PlayCase-DS/dp/B004RB4QDU%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAJAF4RIFZ5NZICD2Q%26tag%3Dthesupertoy-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB004RB4QDU
This particular one probably wouldn't work since it is for a ds xl and would be to big for the caanoo, Plus it says that the ds "snaps" into place so it would probably be a pain to rig the cannoo to stay in there. From the graph in the 3ds wiki I can tell that the old ds fat((148.7×84.7×28.9 mm) or the dsi (137x74.9x18.9mm) is the closest in size to the cannoo (caanoo is 146×70×18.5 mm) but finding ds fat cases is a challenge. Any one know where to get old ds "fat" cases? Any case recommendations would be appreciated.

They basic os seems easy enough for my kids to navigate with a little help from me. However, mplayer seems like the way to go with movies and playing movies is a big part of why I got my kids caanoos. Is there a way to get the default player to be the mplayer? I want mplayer to launch when you select "movies" from the main menu, is that possible? It should be with an open system, possibly by changing the shortcut? Has anyone played with getting the main menu shortcuts to point to different applications? I was also wondering if I could make a shortcut that would open an emu and start a specific game. This way the actual game would be selectable from the main caanoo menu instead of the emu to simplify things for my kids. Surly this could be achieved with a script and a shortcut to point to it, right? I would also like to add a screenshot of the specific game to each shortcut. Looking forward to playing around with these. I should get my caanoos sometime this week, have a feeling I'll use them more than my kids :D at least till I get my pandora back, if that ever happens... :rolleyes:

As a case, I use something like this see here but I don´t know, if it´s available in US. I never used any screen protectors and after half a year, there are still no scratches (which might change, if small kids get their hands on it).
You can use the option to autostart the last rom you played in Dr.PocketSNES, so you can copy Dr.PocketSNES several times to your SD-Card (each one with a different name), autostarting different roms.
To write a script to start a specific rom in other emulators, it might be easier, if you use gmenu see here
or you try PickleLauncher

I don't know about the cases, but i don't think the Caanoo is built for kids. I don't mean that they can't play, on the contrary. But what i mean is that i don't expect it to be as resilient to drops as the Nintendo DS. I would feel much safer having a case around them. But then again, kids are very different, maybe it depends on how "wild" they are :)

Good luck with everything.

Yea I definitely want to put them in cases, just trying to figure out which case. I guess I should go ahead and get the jelly cases to start with. I imagine they would absorb some shock. I might use some rivets or something to attach the jelly cases to a play-thru case of some sort for added protection. My kids can get wild for sure but I only plan on letting them use them when they ask me to get them down for them from the "safe spot" and then under partial supervision. I imagine that once they are sucked into a game or movie that they shouldn't be acting very wild, in fact they will probably resemble stoned zombies.

@akabei
Thanks for the info. Gmenu looks great. And if I get adventurous, I'm sure I could manipulate pickle launcher to fit my needs. I assume that people hack these things while connected to a pc? Without a keyboard, native hacking would be a pain. Can I do that through the usb cable or do I have to buy the wifi adapter? I still want to play around with the original launcher if possible.

Looks like they are waiting on my porch for me (stupid ups). I can't believe they made it here before the sd cards that I ordered from amazon 2 days earlier than the caanoos, play-asia rocks! Hopefully no one grabs them before I get off work.

I ended up getting a blue and pink case from wal-mart on close-out. Its not perfect but it has room for the charge cord and for extra sd cards. Here's a link:
http://www.amazon.com/DS-Lite-Mini-Folio-Cobalt-Nintendo/dp/B001Q978PY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1311174902&sr=8-6

Also I've been trying to get jelly cases from gp2xstore through ebay for a couple weeks now. They refunded my first payment with no explanation as to why. I decided to resend payment in hopes that it was a mistake but it looks like they are no longer in business. Their ebay store is empty and they have a negative feedback from yesterday complaining of the exact same problem I'm having with them. Is gp2xstore no more? Do the owners frequent this forum?

I'm thinking of getting my caanoo accessories from gamersection.ca , anyone ever deal with them? Trustworthy?

Back