Card Reader Warning

X90PNI

Still Fresh
I'm posting this to warn users of card readers, that SMC's may not be as resilient as you would like to think.

I use a couple of card readers, one at work which is a 5-in-1 with 5 individual slots, the other is a single slot SMC/XD reader.

The readers have had a lot of use over the past 12 months changing MP3's, trying new stuff from this site, and last night after a few swap overs, my GP didn't recognise the card, and XP said it wasn't formatted.

On closer inspection I noticed what seemed to be some minor scratch marks. I'm fairly sure that the scratch was caused by the 2-in-1 along the line of where the smaller XD card fits. I have copies of emulators & games etc. so it wasn't the end of the world, the only thing I lost was some game saves.

Have you tried formating the card in pc-link or on the GP32 ?. You can use slubmans commander .fxe to format the card on the GP32.

It might be worth a try.

Trooper

Yeah, slubbys firmware saved cards that I thought were gone. I had to borrow an 8 meg smc to flash my gp though because at the time I was still on euro.

Could never get PC Link to work which is why I opted for the card reader. I've formatted the card using XP and now the PC can read it but the GP still can't.

I've just ordered a replacement card I wouldn't risk the scratched one now, I was really only posting to advise people to back up their cards if there's stuff they don't want to lose.

X90PNI posted on Mar 11 2005 at 05:31 PM said:
Could never get PC Link to work which is why I opted for the card reader. I've formatted the card using XP and now the PC can read it but the GP still can't.

I've just ordered a replacement card I wouldn't risk the scratched one now, I was really only posting to advise people to back up their cards if there's stuff they don't want to lose.

nooooo - its fine :unsure:

find a windows 98 machine and reformat with a card reader - it usually happens when a file gets currupt like a save state

happens to me all the time...

all smc get scratched but that doesnt really effect them - just use a recovery tool before you format!

sPaCe :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back