Can we open the pandora to fix these button issues? warranty question

churchhawk

Still Fresh
My Pandora is pissing me off with the right shoulder button completely stuck now, whats the deal with opening up the back cover? Does this effect my warranty at all?

Would like to know before i open her up.

Thanks

My Pandora is pissing me off with the right shoulder button completely stuck now, whats the deal with opening up the back cover? Does this effect my warranty at all?

Would like to know before i open her up.

Thanks
I have no idea about the warranty, so please wait for an answer from someone who knows before you decide to open it.

But if you choose to do it, I can tell you it's *very* easy to do. You only have to open the back of the cover, there's absolutely no risk of breaking anything important (as far as I can tell). No messing around with screen cable, etc.

I did it personally on mine for the same reason (it was the left shoulder button), the shoulder buttons are just plastic bits that you can remove, check, and put back very easily. It took a bit of twiddling and playing with the foam pad added to the button, but it works 100%. So good in fact that I did the same to the right one to make it even better.

Of course, you still need to be very careful with what you're doing, but trust me it's not hard. And I'm not an expert in this type of things, it's the first time I open the case of something like that (apart from some phone destruction with a hammer when I was 5 years old, but there was no putting it back together at that time ;) ).

Last edited by a moderator:
I decided to fix my B button so it felt the same as the rest (it was a bit spongier), and it was very easy.

My A button that stuck a little to begin with had already fixed itself by the way, so if anyone has that issue it might be worth just using it for a couple of days and see if it sorts itself out.

I just checked two things.

1. The eBay sale says my refurbished Pandora comes with a "12-month warranty".
  2. In the Quick Start Guide booklet, under Precautions (last inside page), says "Disassembling the Pandora will void the warranty."
I'm having a shoulder button problem too, but I suspect removing those five screws and taking off the back counts as "disassembly". And I don't want to void my warranty just yet, in case some other problem crops up. So I'm gonna hold off.

You guys should send an email to Jacquelyn at openpandorasales@gmail.com explaining your problem. She will tell you whether opening the case would void the warranty or not (they are already refurbished units after all).

I don't personally mind you doing it but be very careful. Don't over tighted those screws either. Stop when the screw shows any resistance.

I don't personally mind you doing it but be very careful. Don't over tighted those screws either. Stop when the screw shows any resistance.

He mentioned that at least one screw is already overtighted here. It was the same for mine. Two threads broke while I opened it (carefully).

maybe its about time you post some disassembly/assembly video of the pandora, so people can go about doing this the right way, plus we havent seen your winter hat this year yet

Please guys, follow this wise advice. When I assembled my Pandora back after fixing my A button, I overtighted one of the screws under the battery. The result was that the screw went through the case and made a tiny hole above the DPad! :blink: (and believe me, I tried to be gentle). Well the hole is too small to bother me, even if it pissed me when I first realized it. But the plastic is rather soft, so be gentle!

Please guys, follow this wise advice. When I assembled my Pandora back after fixing my A button, I overtighted one of the screws under the battery. The result was that the screw went through the case and made a tiny hole above the DPad! :blink: (and believe me, I tried to be gentle). Well the hole is too small to bother me, even if it pissed me when I first realized it. But the plastic is rather soft, so be gentle!
Comments like this reinforce my idea that the casing is by far the weakest part of the Pandora. It seems to have the most flaws and imperfections. It's a shame, as it took so much effort to get right as well.

Well, in fact, I didn't want to sound negative. After all we are not supposed to open the Pandora ouserlves, and people at OPT obvioulsy know this possible risk. (I want to precise that I did not mix screws, and that I used the shortest ones under the battery, but it still seems they are a bit too long if you overtight them).

Frankly I find the Pandora overall quality very good, in fact better than what I had expected. The case painting is nice, the hinge is firm (I can put it in any position and it stays in place), the shoulder buttons work fine, the keyboard is surprisingly pleasant to use, the game controls are top notch and the screen is also great (with no dead pixels). So all in all, this is a nice achievement for such a small team. Just be careful with the screws, and you should be fine.

Well, in fact, I didn't want to sound negative. After all we are not supposed to open the Pandora ouserlves, and people at OPT obvioulsy know this possible risk. (I want to precise that I did not mix screws, and that I used the shortest ones under the battery, but it still seems they are a bit too long if you overtight them).

Frankly I find the Pandora overall quality very good, in fact better than what I had expected. The case painting is nice, the hinge is firm (I can put it in any position and it stays in place), the shoulder buttons work fine, the keyboard is surprisingly pleasant to use, the game controls are top notch and the screen is also great (with no dead pixels). So all in all, this is a nice achievement for such a small team. Just be careful with the screws, and you should be fine.
I agree with all things said. Much better quality than I thought we would get. Exceeded all my expectations.

If anyone opens there unit for any reason, pay attention, go slow, and be aware of every piece at all times. It is very easy if you go slow, and be aware of what you are doing.

Chris

Well, in fact, I didn't want to sound negative.

Just be careful with the screws, and you should be fine.
Yes, well, me neither :) The case actually came out better than I thought, given the history. Though I have yet to see it in person.

I hope my buttons will be just fine, as I have a habit of overtightening screws.

If I were worried about overtightening the screws and having them poke through. I would gring off the tip. Since they have already been threaded in it should not hurt the holding power as the point is just to help the with the initial use. Also being molded plastic I am sure the point servers no pupose anyway, as there should be hole there, a flat tip plastic screw should work. If this is what is being used.... Screws are just a bit too long, ignor the rest of the post refering to a pointed screw. All hail the mighty pandora....

Les

From this, we can gather some general advice: Always be careful when screwing. If you are inexperienced - Especially if it is your first time - you might be a bit too entusiastic and rip a new hole where you do not want it. Just be gentle, an practise often, and in no time you'll be a screwing expert.

Sorry 'bout that - I just had to get it off my mind. Will now proceed to pick said mind up from the gutter.

In case you do not know what I am talking about, I can rummage about to bring you a picture of a box of (very useful) self-tapping 25mm wood screws with the words "Super Screwing Power!!!" emblazoned across the lid flap.

If I were worried about overtightening the screws and having them poke through. I would gring off the tip. Since they have already been threaded in it should not hurt the holding power as the point is just to help the with the initial use. Also being molded plastic I am sure the point servers no pupose anyway, as there should be hole there, a flat tip plastic screw should work. If this is what is being used.... Screws are just a bit too long, ignor the rest of the post refering to a pointed screw. All hail the mighty pandora....

Les
I'm pretty sure mine are flat, IIRC

The Power slide switch is an interesting critter as well. So keep an eye on it as soon as you can see it and remember how it fits in there. It isn't held on by anything except the slide its attached to. Don't rough up the volume wheel either. Video? Evil? Video? Dragon? Maybe showing how you do that LCD cable magic too would be nice. After you ship your on hand Pandoras of course ;)

Back